Notices

User Tag List

Thread: new member with a few questions.

1. new member with a few questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hello all,
    I'm new here having just got my first audi (though not my first vw group car).

Its a 2004 A6 TDi Sport 1.9 (130bhp i think) Multitronic, it's not in the best cosmetic condition but seems to be (mostly) mechanically sound, i have got a few little niggly problems i would like some advise as to what to do to rectify them. ill try to be as to the point as i can but if anyone wants any related info let me know.

1. I know the gearbox is a CVT type and it could just be that i am not used to it (im used to a bmw steptronic box in my main car) but it seems to be very very lazy on pulling away and very 'jumpy' often lurching forward. this only seems to be apparent from a standing start and does not seem to really change based on temperature(it maybe gets marginally better when warm), when moving it seems to be very smooth and quick to change and can certainly get up and go if pushed. unsure on servicing history etc so not sure if its just worth servicing the box or checking fluid first.

2. Windscreen washers do not seem to work at all - the wipers turn on but no sign or sound of motor running at all. dont believe its a fuse as far as i can tell.

3. i've had the wheels off today to just do a general check of breaks etc and noticed that none of the brake discs appear to be attached to the hub except via the wheel bolts, im pretty sure this is not normal but from what i could see of the front disc their is no additional hole in the hub to screw the disc into.

i think thats everything for now, obviously since i have no clue on the servicing previously to my getting the car ill be doing a full service soon, also how do you get the air filter box open as i had a quick look today and could not work it out for the life of me.

cheers all and thanks in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: new member with a few questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Steve View Post
    1. I know the gearbox is a CVT type and it could just be that i am not used to it (im used to a bmw steptronic box in my main car) but it seems to be very very lazy on pulling away and very 'jumpy' often lurching forward. this only seems to be apparent from a standing start and does not seem to really change based on temperature(it maybe gets marginally better when warm), when moving it seems to be very smooth and quick to change and can certainly get up and go if pushed. unsure on servicing history etc so not sure if its just worth servicing the box or checking fluid first.

What else do you know about the multitronic? All transmissions need to solve two problems:

1. Matching engine rpm and torque to that required at the wheels by allowing more than one ratio.
    2. Allowing the engine to idle when the car is stationary and transision from that to the moving state.

A manual box usually uses constant mesh gears with syncromesh dog-clutches for 1 and for 2 uses a manually operated clutch.

A traditional auto box uses an epicyclic gear train for 1 and a torque converter for 2.

For CVT there are more possibiliies. The most common for 1 is a belt and variable pulley system. On a car the belt is usually steel and the pulleys are moved by hydraulics rather than the centrigual system often used on mopeds. For 2 there is a choice - the CVT box on the Merc A class I had used a torque converter with lock-up just like a traditional auto box but it is possible to have a centrigal or motorised clutch instead.

It sound like the fault is in whatever this gearbox uses for drive takeup. A torque converter will be vulnerable to too little fluid and the lock-up clutches can sometimes play up. I am not so sure about the centrifugal/motorised clutch as I have never had a CVT with one.

2. Windscreen washers do not seem to work at all - the wipers turn on but no sign or sound of motor running at all. dont believe its a fuse as far as i can tell.

Does this affect just the front, just the back or both? If you can locate the motor, is there a connector nearby you could unclip and test whether the power is reaching the motor with a multimeter or test lamp. That will tell you whether the fault is in the motor or the wiring in the car. One owner here had trouble with the rear motor filling up with water and thus stopping working. Other than the fuse the stalk on the steering wheel is another potential failure point.

3. i've had the wheels off today to just do a general check of breaks etc and noticed that none of the brake discs appear to be attached to the hub except via the wheel bolts, im pretty sure this is not normal but from what i could see of the front disc their is no additional hole in the hub to screw the disc into.

I think mine are exactly the same, though you will probably find you can't just lift off as the brake caliper blocks that. Some cars I have had previously have had a locating post that screws through the brake disc into the hub but this has never been substantial - it has always been the wheel bolts/studs that stop the disc from rotating independently from the hub, or more to the point the hub continuing to rotate quickjly while the brake disc is being held back.

I have also had cases where the disc and hub assembly have appeared to be a single item but only ever on the non-driven wheels.
    Last edited by Amphitryon; 07-09-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Fix quoting.

0 0 0

3. Re: new member with a few questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply, yes i dont know huge amounts about multitronic box - as i said above this is my first audi even though ive had a number of vw and seats but all have been manuals not autos, the only experiance i have of automatic boxes is from my previous vauxhall vectra and my current bmw e46 3 series both of which were 'normal' autos, i suspected it could be fluid issue so ill be getting more fluid to see if it helps for now until i can service the box.

my cars only a saloon so only have front washers and i have no clue where the washer motor is to check it hence posting

good to hear im not only one re discs, just seems unusual to me thats all

0 0 0

4. Re: new member with a few questions. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just done discs and pads on back of mine,no guide screw to hold discs on,basically like said the caliper and pads hold the disc till the wheel is mounted,handier job,done a set recently with the guide screw and it was ruined and needed to be drilled and sledged of the car,hardship for no reason,prefare no guide screw

0 0 0