1. Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi everyone ..this is my first post and hopefully in the right section..

As the title suggests I am looking to purchase a a4 with 141k with 9 service stamps from the dealer and 3 from A private garage.

Now the main question is (as I have been looking online) do all these cars suffer from oil burning problems? If so how do I spot them when i test the car? (I am going to be looking at it on wednesday) also anything else to look for ? Should I not bother with this car ?

I am coming from a 320d e46 which has never missed a beat .only reason I am looking to buy a petrol is because of the government's urgency to get rid of diesels and Imposed higher prices to run them.

Thank you in advance

0 0 0

2. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I can't be 100% sure on this one, as we own a deisel 2.0 170 BHP, it depends a little on the mileage you clock up. On pure motorway with a 2 wheel drive, the deisel should do around 650 miles on 70 liters of fuel. If your running urban/motorway I am getting nearer 500 miles on a tank of fuel both figures will A/C on all the time. Now the petrol car, I think you are going to get around 350 - 400 miles depending on driving style and you will probably turn off the A/C cause you worry about the extra miles that is zapping, that would be my estimate. If it's a 4WD, apart from the fuel tank being smaller, it might burn a little more petrol as well.

Now I could be wrong on the next part, but road tax on the diesel is around £200 a year, have you compared this to the petrol.

you might find the insurance slightly higher on the petrol due to the increased BHP?

all these things might be immaterial if you drive 5000 miles a year. But as a deisel driver, I don't feel like the government is trying to take away my car. In fact my other car is a 2002 A4, 1.9Tdi 130 redeye, and it's a far better engine than the 2007 2.0 170 smoother, sounds less like a tractor. Does 700 miles on a tank of fuel post service no matter how I drive. A/C is always on all year round. insurance is cheap. Again, with this old car, fuel would need to double in price to justify changing to Petrol.

It would be good to see a Petrol drivers opinion, with more accurate stats than I can provide.

Paul

0 0 0

3. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Sorry forgot to add, the 2.0 TDI 170 BHP burns oil like a rig in the north sea. I get through a litre of oil every 2000 miles. This is normal according to Audi handbook. Ironically the 1.9tdi B6 goes 2 years between services without needing to be topped up. Would certainly like to know if the Petrol is better on oil?

0 0 0

4. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    I dont agree with your comment on all the 170 BHP burning oil, I had mine 3 years and hardly used anything in between its yearly service.
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

5. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Seems to be oil consumption issues with most of these engines although less with the BUL engine. Audi have done some goodwill repairs but I believe you need a full Audi service history for this. The B8 seems to have more problems than the B7. I don't think you can tell during a test drive - the Audi test is something like 500ml oil in 1000km is acceptable but over this is an issue.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

6. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlh View Post
    I can't be 100% sure on this one, as we own a deisel 2.0 170 BHP, it depends a little on the mileage you clock up. On pure motorway with a 2 wheel drive, the deisel should do around 650 miles on 70 liters of fuel. If your running urban/motorway I am getting nearer 500 miles on a tank of fuel both figures will A/C on all the time. Now the petrol car, I think you are going to get around 350 - 400 miles depending on driving style and you will probably turn off the A/C cause you worry about the extra miles that is zapping, that would be my estimate. If it's a 4WD, apart from the fuel tank being smaller, it might burn a little more petrol as well.

Now I could be wrong on the next part, but road tax on the diesel is around £200 a year, have you compared this to the petrol.

you might find the insurance slightly higher on the petrol due to the increased BHP?

all these things might be immaterial if you drive 5000 miles a year. But as a deisel driver, I don't feel like the government is trying to take away my car. In fact my other car is a 2002 A4, 1.9Tdi 130 redeye, and it's a far better engine than the 2007 2.0 170 smoother, sounds less like a tractor. Does 700 miles on a tank of fuel post service no matter how I drive. A/C is always on all year round. insurance is cheap. Again, with this old car, fuel would need to double in price to justify changing to Petrol.

It would be good to see a Petrol drivers opinion, with more accurate stats than I can provide.

Paul
    Thank you for your reply. The only reason I am going for the petrol one is because I live in Birmingham and soon there will be a clean air zone tax on certain diesels . I have accepted the road tax and I insurance will be higher.

What I wanted to know was the common problems with this type if car and if the oil burning was a major issue.

It has some partial service history and with 141k I would have thought there would be things to look out for. For example my e46 I had to remove swirl flaps .blank egr and other maintenance that is common with this model.

(Viewing has been delayed till next week now )

0 0 0

7. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is 'BUL' short for? I've been told to look at the exhaust when revving and also to see if soot is visable. Is it a good idea to purchase ? I wanted a estate for a long time (diesel really) theres ot many options for a reliable petrol estate , or am I wrong?

0 0 0

8. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    each engine has a code name. The consumer would say, it's a 1.8 turbo, petrol, or a 2.0 TSFI, or a 2.0 170 BHP Diesel, however Audi have code names, like a 2005 - 2008 model of A4 is known as the B7. Similarly the engines have code names, BUL, BLB, BRE, BRD, BRB and there are many more.

other considerations, around this sort of mileage, unless the previous owner has looked after it well, you will likely see rubber bushes starting to perish, bump stops on the rear shocks. watch for, front suspension drop links, the rubber bushes wear/perish, and the front tyres tend to wear more on the outer edge. Turn the steering from lock to lock with the windows open, there is sometimes a funny click noise from the suspension, steering rack. I have it on mine at around 110k miles.

Good luck

0 0 0

9. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pdlh View Post
    each engine has a code name. The consumer would say, it's a 1.8 turbo, petrol, or a 2.0 TSFI, or a 2.0 170 BHP Diesel, however Audi have code names, like a 2005 - 2008 model of A4 is known as the B7. Similarly the engines have code names, BUL, BLB, BRE, BRD, BRB and there are many more.

other considerations, around this sort of mileage, unless the previous owner has looked after it well, you will likely see rubber bushes starting to perish, bump stops on the rear shocks. watch for, front suspension drop links, the rubber bushes wear/perish, and the front tyres tend to wear more on the outer edge. Turn the steering from lock to lock with the windows open, there is sometimes a funny click noise from the suspension, steering rack. I have it on mine at around 110k miles.

Good luck
    My main concern is the engine and the oil problem. How do I fond out the engine code... It has one owner so I'm hoping it is fine. Thank you for your input. I will post here of the outcome. Thank you guys

0 0 0

10. Re: Purchasing audi a4 2.0 tfsi (220bhp)special edition 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizmo View Post
    My main concern is the engine and the oil problem. How do I fond out the engine code... It has one owner so I'm hoping it is fine. Thank you for your input. I will post here of the outcome. Thank you guys
    There should be a build sticker in the spare wheel well, and/or on the inside cover of the service book. This will give you codes for the engine, gearbox, paint, options etc.

Cheers!

MF.
    Gone: 2016 A6 Saloon BE Ultra S tronic - Floret Silver, Tech Pack Advanced, Parking Pack Advanced, Heated F+R Seats & Wheel, Electric Seats, Matrix LED, Ambient Lighting, Speed Limit Display, Twin Spoke 20", Folding Memory Mirrors
    Now: E 53 AMG 4MATIC
    / Q5 2.0TFSi Prestige

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast