1. Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I recently acquired a 2002 Mk4 Golf Gt Tdi 130 which is on 70k Miles. Previous owner had it since 2005 and since then had only done 35k Miles in 14 years.

Its in immaculate shape, no rust anywhere. Everything is stock. Pulls really well, better than my BMW 118d which now wife drives.

It`s got no history after 2009. Until 2009 it has VW dealership stamps, after that it had no space in the book so the chap just didn`t bother I think.

It has new rear discs and pads tho there are no papers for it.

So far I`ve made some research on forums and I`m thinking of getting below things done to it. Do you experienced chaps think I should also look into anything else?

-New cambelt + waterpump + tensioner pulley
    -New aux belt
    -New front discs and pads
    -New front shock absorbers (Bilstein B4). Look all rusted outside, although it drives fine.
    -Polybushes all around
    -New front arb stabilizers
    -General service (oil, filters etc)
    -Wheel aligment

Engine seems to be steam washed as my friend had told me. It looks very very clean in the engine bay. Literally looks like every pipe has just been installed. Couple of issues I`ve are below;

-There seems to be oil residue on the undertray around a small hole
    -Judders when braking. Which is probably due 17 year old brake disc or the wheel aligment.

Should I be worried about the oil residue on the under-tray?

Should there be any problems due to low mileage of the car? As the car is not been driven as much as it should

Thanks in advance for any replies.

0 0 0

2. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I'm not a specific "Golf" guy but it sounds like the first thing she needs a very good, basic, service. All the oils/filters etc. (Coolant change?).

So, yes to new cambelt etc/aux belt/discs & pads.

The juddering when braking is very likely to be warped discs but, as you've noted, might be bushes also?

What's actually wrong with the shocks? Outside my knowledge but are they gas shocks? If so I don't think they can leak as such so by all means replace but it wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Possibly new tyres as they may be well past their prime. Remember they are the last thing between you an a collision. Then alignment (after you've checked the bushes).

I don't know about the possible oil leak. Hopefully someone will be on shortly with some detailed knowledge & experience.

As to the low mileage from the last few years a good Italian tune up with a tank full of high quality fuel could do wonders but by the sound of it she goes pretty well already .

Sounds like a great buy.

Enjoy.

Andy.

PS. Exactly which engine? ASZ?
    Last edited by AndyN01; 31-08-2019 at 12:08 PM.

0 0 0

3. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Oil oozes from the charge air system couplings from condensed oil in the system from the breather and from the turbo, a light staining and dripping from these couplings is normal, the hole was put in the cover to let the oil drip out.

If you have no cam belt change history in the last five years, get it and the water pump done ASAP, ensure that the tensioner stud is replaced and try and get a feel for the companies experience at doing this part of the job and the subsequent cam timing, ask about the “torsion value” and for it to be noted on the bill, preferably a screen shot; if they look puzzled by all this-walk.

Polyurethane bushes Great deals from Audi Seat Skoda VW Volkswagen Parts in Golf-Mk4- | eBay Shops are an excellent idea but do firm up the ride, personally I prefer Sachs/Boge dampers and you may find that at least the rear springs are heavily corroded so we would use Suplex for this as they are the best OE spec non genuine ones you can buy. Remember when removing springs and dampers that there is hardware such as ALL nuts and bolts that MUST be replaced and accessories such as bump stops and rear spring anti corrosion packing plates.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply Andy.

I have already got 4 new extra load Michelin Crossclimate+

DidnÂ’t think of coolant, IÂ’ll change that too and the gearbox oil with Redline brand.

I wanted to change the shocks to improve the ride slightly as I find it too soft at the moment but saying that poly bushes would also make it stiff too. Shocks seems rusted outside but they seem okay otherwise, not sure if they are gas or not. I will keep the existing springs.

After all is done IÂ’ve got a can of BG244 Diesel cleaner which I used on my BMW last year and this year and will be using it on this too. It seems work very well.

Thanks for the info

0 0 0

5. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It’s an ASZ engine.

Hi Crasher,

Waterpump and cambelt is getting done asap. I will be getting the parts so I was looking at SKF branded kit including the tensioner pulley. Is that what you meant tensioner stud?

I’ll ask my mechanic about the torsion value. Hope he won’t be looking clueless.

I’ll look into the rears too which I didn’t think of before.

What do you think of Bilstein springs?

I bought set of bushes from PSB bushes including the rear axle beam bush which most people say it might be too harsh but I already bought it. I’ll put it an give it a go, not sure how harsh is too harsh.

I’m used to the BMW’s feel, Golf feels very spongy at the moment.

It looks like a cracking motor, can’t wait to get it sorted out and go for a long drive to Lakes.

Thanks for all the replies!

0 0 0

6. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I knew it would be Crasher who replied .

The guy is a legend.

Great to see you'd already thought of tyres.

Warrington to Nottingham looks like a couple of hours drive but if Crasher does the cambelt you can be sure it's spot on.

Andy.

0 0 0

7. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I’ll see what my mechanic comes up with, he is usually pretty good. He is an experienced chap around 65 still going strong.

If not, I don’t mind a bit of a travel to Nottingham.

0 1 0

8. Re: Low Mileage Mk4 Gt Tdi 130 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Took the car for inspection today.

Good news; my mechanic was well aware of the torsion value and explained my why it should be done etc.

Bad news; I need to change below parts to make the car safe;

-Front Discs and Pads
    -Front Springs and Shocks, Struts etc
    -Rear Springs and Shocks, Boots
    -All the bushes (which I already bought the poly kit)
    -Ideally new front and rear axle beams because they are rusted to death.

But he said he can scrub it and coat with primer to give it couple more years.

-Oil leak under the engine. Leak is just under the intercooler. He reckoned it’s from the intercooler pipes as the car is making a swoosh sound when accelerating.

He said he’ll do a pressure test on the turbo and pipes.

So I’m pretty much set on all parts except the rear springs.

What size rear spring I will need? Would the below setup be good? Or better of with something else?

- Delphi Coated Discs & TRW Dtec Cotec Pads

- Suplex front springs 354mm & Bilstein HD dampers

-Suplex rear springs 350mm - TRW Twin Tube 637mm dampers (cheaper than Sachs)

I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks for all the help.

0 0 0