Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Wouldn't it be helpful (and legally binding!) if the manufacturers defined and publicised their definition of "life?"

Then we would all know which manufacturers had a quality product - and not just cars.

But, as above, life seems to be a 3 year PCP deal. Keeps the money rolling in.

Economics vs total environmental impact - discuss......

Andy.

0 0 0

2. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Because the best oil ever made and it’s filter can JUST possibly care for an engine 18700 miles a few times in a cars early life and this was very carefully calculated as an absolute maximum, simply just to sell new cars on lease. Unfortunately people who own cars or more pertinently “rent” them do not, as a whole, like spending money on maintaining them and so they think, “it’ll be OK until next month and the next and the next then suddenly the oil and filter have done 23, 4, 5 miles until they get changed. Recently on here we had a ruined A7 a chap bought and I looked up its on line service info, I can’t remember the specifics but one oil change nearly had a 4 as its first interval number and surprise surprise, the engine was FUBAR. I bought my current car at four years old with a totally destroyed engine and turbo, simply due to service interval abuse, the rebuild costs were more than the cars value at the time but a decade later it is still a good car as I look after it.
    And speaking as a time served but no longer practicing mechanic, Crasher' s post sums it up perfectly for me.
    My older passat, a B5.5 , 03 MY, (I have 2 of them), it had covered 120000 miles in the first 3 years of it's life and it was on the long life servicing regime. I changed it to the more regular oil changes when i bought the car in 2006 and despite it's high mileage, it's turned our to be the best car I've ever bought (now approaching 200K miles) I've no doubt though, had it remained on long life, it would not have lasted until now!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Car companies have at least the next two steps of emissions standards developed or in development but dare not just release them and then gloat about how good they are as the politicians, bureaucrats and shouting heads and shouting heads will have to keep on justifying their salaries and existence and will just move the goal posts. If internal combustion engines worked by sucking in Co2 and converting it to liquid fuel to burn (which is a technical reality) then the shouting heads would still not shut up as they simply cannot bear the internal combustion engine, they have some unfathomable vitriolic hatred for the concept which nothing will change. It is like when Co2 suddenly turned into a demon gas, the politicians and tree huggers all jumped on the Diesel wagon with future promises of clean emissions which took 25 years to arrive and by which time, Diesel was demonised; the same is happening with electric cars.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

4. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Politicians are presently diesel haters for popularity and votes only. Bosch already have Real World technology to reduce NOx to a tenth of what the 2020 regs will demand which with already lower CO2 emissions than petrol makes it a more sensible Carbon Footprint choice. Euro 6 diesels blow very low and emit very few particulates. You can have and drive the cleanest diesel in the world at this moment in time and it will still be hated by many.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

5. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    It is hated because for 25 years we have, and still have, had millions of tonnes of soot shoved down our throats because we were lied to and that is because shouting young naive left wing heads caused a political knee jerk reaction, the same as is now happening with electric traction and in a couple of decades time we will have the same adverse reaction and where do we go from there?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Better breed some more horses!
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

7. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Don't horses produce methane which damages the ozone layer - or something like that .

I'm all for technological advancement - having to buy rotor arms and distributor caps then set up dwell angles is not something I miss - but I can't help wondering if we're swapping one issue for others?

I'm absolutely not convinced that building millions of new cars is "eco friendly" or that running a 10 year old, well maintained, car is an eco disaster.

Nor am I convinced by the headlong rush to electric.

Maybe I'm just too old and cynical to believe the Politicians.

And I definitely think that hamstringing yourself with eco legislation to "go green" while other huge countries are just carrying on regardless is daft. It's a global issue which needs addressing globally.

Andy.

0 0 0

8. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The politicians are suddenly backing off on a rush to electric, realising that if everyone buys in as fast as car manufacturers can supply it is not going to work and the only reason 99.99% of people are interested is they think they are going to save massive amounts on fuel bills, the same reason people bought into Diesel. I have yet to get anyone to honestly say to me that they bought Diesel primarily to “save the planet” and those buying electric are the same. People have been angry about the Diesel con as they have lost a few quid, wait until the “shock” of electric hits. The politicians responsible won’t give a **** as they will be long gone, dead or enjoying their huge pensions.

Horses, yes they produce all sorts of gases but a bigger (tiny) problem is the Tsetse fly... a real killer.

Hydrogen? Bloody dangerous as you have the planets most explosive gas mixed with high voltage electrics, fine when new but 10 years old and being bodged by some idiot, kaboooooom.......

There is a solution, using renewable electric power to turn industrial and atmospheric Co2 into liquid fuel for infernal combustion engines but the shouting heads won’t listen as they have a mental block over combustion power so they stick their fingers in their ears and go lah lah lah

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

9. Re: Did you always replace the long life engine oil filter? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Brilliant

Thanks.

Andy.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12