Another Swirl Flap thread A6/C6 BPP 2.7TDi

2006(56) A6/C6 BPP engine (2.7TDI) reporting swirl flap problems and EML illuminated for past few years. Local garage diagnostic tool wasn't VCDS but provided codes and descriptions for swirl flap limits exceeded on Bank1 and Bank2. This wasn't an MOT issue in the past, but is now, and I can't sell the car for anything more than beans with a short MOT and the EML illuminated.

I could see that there was a whole lot of slack in swirl flap bearings on one bank, and the operating rod refused to remain in place on the second bank - where bearings also appeared shot.

Inlet manifolds removed and cleaned. Messy, but more straightforward than I expected. New Swirl flaps and bearings fitted in the existing manifolds, with new operating links. All manually opening and closing smoothly.
Inlet manifolds refitted with new operating rods installed, but old swirl flap motors retained - in their original positions. All bolted down. Ignition on and swirl flap motors go through their usual startup up/down cycle. Engine started after some cranking (getting fuel through) and runs sweetly - as it was doing before. Diagnostics cleared down by my local garage, but not VCDS. EML extinguished - for only 10 miles. Quick check on the same diagnostics shows Swirl Flap errors appear to persist.

My initial questions posted on another Audi Forum (boo, hiss) was kindly answered by someone who referred me to Intake Manifold Runner adaption and feedback from Crasher. So, is it the case that, having replaced the parts I have replaced, there is some further level of resetting or calibration necessary, and if so, how?

I don't want to have to scrap the car - which is excellent in most ways, but the cost of two new manifolds with internals and motors plus labour must be about all the car is worth. And then there are the two glow plugs that appear to be playing up - also shown on the same diagnostics and presumably contributing to EML illumination too?

I'd prefer to reward the right person who has appropriate knowledge with beer tokens, rather than invest in and go down the VCDS route myself. I am in West Berks (M4/J14) but willing to travel within limits.

Thanks,
Graham