Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Currently in the middle of trying to resolve a coolant temp related issue and i'm now fairly convinced its the thermostat based on similar issues and resolutions of others. (I've already replaced both sensors)

My car:
    Audi A5 2014 (on 63 plate) 2.0 petrol TFSi quattro 165kw engine code CNCD

The issue i'm having is finding out which thermostat to replace (and location). Searching for thermostat's based on my cars spec always seems to return one of 3 results

1) A normal looking thermostat operational at 95deg
    2) A slender looking thermostat operational at 115deg
    3) The entire water pump housing inc slender thermostat

So it seems the car clearly has 2 stats. One looks like what you'd expect to find near the radiator and the other seems to be part of the water pump assembly (maybe it just links to the interior heating)?
    Had a quote today from a local garage to replace thermostat and they're asking for nearly £700 inc parts and labour. they say that includes replacing the water pump. their quote breakdown is:
    Thermostat housing £216
    Waterpump £73.43
    Antifreeze £28
    Labour £225
    +VAT
    I don't doubt that this is a good price however i don't have the money due to other expenses and wouldn't have this sort of money free until after xmas!

I've read its a 2 hour job but finding conflicting info on how to do it. I believe it's located behind the alternator so that needs taking off but i'm confused by the two types and don't know which one to order ahead of pulling the alternator off and draining the coolant.

Any ideas anyone?

0 0 0

2. Re: Which thermostat?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Damaudi
    I have exactly the same engine /vehicle and had the same issues with the thermostat last year.The waterpump/thermostat housing is mounted underneath the inlet manifold towards the back of the engine and is driven by a small toothed belt.
    The issue with these is that they are a electrically controlled valve basically,as opposed to a conventional wax thermostat.
    Mine had sheared the gear off of the motor so was stuck fully opened and consequently threw a engine fault light.
    I had mine replaced with the latest revision and all was good in the world again,it cost me just shy of £500 as I was lucky to get mates rates.Audi book it as a 4 hour job as they say the inlet manifold has to come off to do the job,but it can be done without.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Paul

0 0 0