Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

A mate dropped off his mk5 golf 1.9 tdi bluemotion with the dash lit up like a xmas tree. I scanned it with vcds and I've fixed all of the issues apart from one.

Address 01: Engine Labels: 03G-906-021-BLS.clb
    Part No SW: 03G 906 056 K HW: 03G 906 021 AB
    Component: R4 1,9L EDC G000SG 2744
    Revision: --H08--- Serial number: VWX7Z0H73NC7ZM
    Coding: 0000071
    Shop #: WSC 01357 011 00200
    VCID: 2F6DA5BEBE1D4A3CB1-807A

1 Faults Found:
    000833 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
    P0341 - 000 - Implausible Signal
    Freeze Frame:
    Fault Status: 01110000
    Fault Priority: 3
    Fault Frequency: 36
    Reset counter: 255
    Mileage: 205930 km
    Time Indication: 0
    Date: 2000.00.00
    Time: 18:37:09

Freeze Frame:
    RPM: 1827 /min
    Speed: 50.0 km/h
    Load: 32.5 %
    Voltage: 13.98 V
    Bin. Bits: 00101000
    Idle Stabilization: -2.5°KW
    (no units): 48.0

that's the fault code showing, it will clear with the engine not running but as soon as it's ran the fault code reappears. I've checked the wiring over and can't find any damage, on the loom side of the connector I have 5v on 2 of the pins and a good earth on the other with the ignition on. If I backprobe the wiring with an analogue multimeter and the sensor connected I get a solid reading when passing a metal object over the sensor. Backprobing the sensor with the engine running gives a constantly moving reading which is what I'd expect, short of scoping the signal I can't do anymore testing but the testing I've done so far leads me to believe the sensor works but the fault is for implausible signal.

This afternoon I checked the engine timing as I'd found a post suggesting if it was a tooth out it can cause issues, with the locking tool properly inserted in the crank the cam pin slots into the head nicely in the middle of the slot on the pulley so again I'm happy the timing is right.

All of the above is leading me to believe the sensor itself is at fault and that whilst it works it is giving out an incorrect signal, I rang my local dealer and they want £115 for a new sensor which is alot for something I can't prove is definitely broken, can anyone recommend anything else I can look at or is there an aftermarket sensor for reasonable money that is known to work? I know from past experience how sensitive german cars can be to non genuine sensors.

Cheers
    Chris

0 0 0

2. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    You can get a Hella sensor trade from Euro a little less but that code is normally timing related, check the torsion value in measuring blocks.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks, do you know what number measuring block it is and what figure would be acceptable?

0 0 0

4. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    I THINK it is group 004 zone 4 from memory, the spec is +/-3 degrees of crank angle (KW or Kurbelwelle grad) but the closer to 0 the better.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Didn't have much chance to play with this today, whilst cold and at idle the torsion value is -2.0 it didn't seem to move if revved.

Is there a way to tell if the cam is in the correct position without removing the timing belt? The crank is correct with the locking tool fitting nicely but I can't see a marking for the cam pulley and as the locking pin fits through the slotted groove I can't be certain it's in the right position

Chris

0 0 0

6. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    -2 is acceptable.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So if -2 is acceptable where does that leave me for identifying what's causing the camshaft fault code?

0 0 0

8. Re: MK5 Golf P0341 Error 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to close this out, after speaking with the owner of the car I bought the cheap haas sensor from ecp, the new sensor is a different length to the Lucas item I removed and has a grey plug instead of black. Once fitted and fault cleared car started first turn of the key and the fault hasn't returned.

It would appear somewhere in the past the car has had the wrong sensor fitted and even though that sensor worked it was producing the wrong signal for the BLS engine.

Now to see how long the cheap sensor lasts

Thanks for the help
    Chris

0 0 0