1. Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    In common with a few other posters, I've just had my coolant solenoid value fail. Car is 3.5 years old. See picture of leak stains. Annoyingly it started whilst we were away on a driving holiday from UK to Austria and racking up the kilometres. It is not dramatic but going from Max to Min every 500km or so. A couple of very lovely Audi garages helped me out there, one an Audi dealer and the other a VAG authorised service centre, with coolant top ups and also spare bottle of coolant. In former case free, in the latter at cost of the bottle.

Anyway the car's been at the dealers back here today and diagnosed. Sounds like a big job it needs a full day in the workshop to fix, plus test after. Luckily I took out the "all components" extended warranty and they've already confirmed it is covered by this, only small excess to pay. Otherwise would be hitting a grand easily I'm sure. Back next week for the fix...

coolant leak.jpg

1 0 0

2. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Well... update on this. Car with dealer for 2 days last week to fix (had lovely new Q7 50TDI loaner). After I got it back the coolant was low again but its been back in couple of times to check and top it up - tested and confirmed no leak it was just residual air in the system working its way out (n.b. quite a lot, most of the reservoir). Seems OK now.

However when they put the engine back together there was an error re-seating a couple of the heat plugs so after a cold start I got a CEL light, but dealer fixed immediately when I told them. Very apologetic and got free tank of fuel out of it for the hassle. Also the dealer was really helpful as topped up coolant and checked car for me after business hours on bank holiday weekend when they should have already closed - can’t fault their customer service.

The cost would have been eye-watering though, full price would have been north of £1600 had I not had the extended warranty. Glad I took that out.

Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 0 0

3. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Great result there Wardienet... and yes, that sounds like great CS too.. good to hear its still out there.

Agreed - I think I may take out some extended warranty just for peace of mind.

Thanks for sharing

Andy
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 1 0

4. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Mine finally had this issue appear. As my car is now out of warranty I did the swap today after buying the parts myself.. Its not hard, just time consuming as the valve is in such an awkward place and you have to remove the intake manifold and other bits to get to it. However sorted. I had help from my local audi master tech too in the effort.

Cheers.

Andy.

Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

5. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    That’s good work Andy, had mine done at the dealer as it was under warranty, this is a good option for those cars that are out of warranty, and from what I’ve heard early 2016 and earlier cars all suffer from this. Great work mate.

0 0 0

6. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Nice one Andy - I sincerely hope the replacement value part is different from the original out of MY16?

Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.
    | Q7 3.0 TDi ABT Power 325bhp MY16 S-Line Tech/Tour/Trailer packs, orca black, 21 inch 9.5J rims, rotor grey leather, sunroof, BOSE, ambient lighting, reversing cam, drivers memory seat. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra ceramic coating |

0 0 0

7. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardienet View Post
    Nice one Andy - I sincerely hope the replacement value part is different from the original out of MY16?

Indeed it is Wardinet. Its physically the same but a different part number. Better build quality I am told...

0 0 0

8. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    Well... update on this. Car with dealer for 2 days last week to fix (had lovely new Q7 50TDI loaner). After I got it back the coolant was low again but its been back in couple of times to check and top it up - tested and confirmed no leak it was just residual air in the system working its way out (n.b. quite a lot, most of the reservoir). Seems OK now.

However when they put the engine back together there was an error re-seating a couple of the heat plugs so after a cold start I got a CEL light, but dealer fixed immediately when I told them. Very apologetic and got free tank of fuel out of it for the hassle. Also the dealer was really helpful as topped up coolant and checked car for me after business hours on bank holiday weekend when they should have already closed - can’t fault their customer service.

The cost would have been eye-watering though, full price would have been north of £1600 had I not had the extended warranty. Glad I took that out.

Hi Wardienet,
    No problem with installed ABT AEC? Or did you remove it before this warranty repair?

0 0 0

9. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retom View Post
    Hi Wardienet,
    No problem with installed ABT AEC? Or did you remove it before this warranty repair?
    No problem at all at the dealer, I left it active. I don’t know how much or not any of the extra installed sensors (5 I think if I remember) would have got in the way and caused them extra work. Maybe Andy will have a better idea having just done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

10. Re: Coolant leak strikes again... good dealer experience so far 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    65 Post(s)
    No problem at all at the dealer, I left it active. I don’t know how much or not any of the extra installed sensors (5 I think if I remember) would have got in the way and caused them extra work. Maybe Andy will have a better idea having just done it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In Q7 3.0TDI ABT module is connected only to the car ECU. I had it in my 2016 Q7. Probably they even did't have to touch it during this repair. I was just curious since the different dealers react differently on ABT module when the car is under warranty.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast