Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Guys,

Been looking for a comparison between these 2 engines on the world wide web, but to no avail. I found a tread here called Audi A6 Buyers guide, but it's empty. I'm in search of a used 3.0 TDI Audi A6 Sedan, and my selection narrowed down to 2 engines in particular.

• 3.0 TDI with 272 hp, automatic, dual clutch transmission
    • 3.0 BiTDI, with 320 hp, automatic, with the new 8hp ZF transmission, with 8 speed.

My thoughts for the 272 hp model is that it's technology that you almost buy at a premium, that it slowly being taken out of all the models on Audi, with the ZF transmission, which is now widely used in the BMW and Mercedes. However, it's proven, better fuel economy, and from what I was able to read, gives the car a bit more sportier feel.

On the BiTdi, since I'm likely to spend somewhere in the region of 35-38.000E, I would like to get the latest transmission, as I feel that it's the feature. I live 6 months in the year In the Balkans, where fuel quality is not the greatest, so having a dual turbos is a question mark. I'm getting different opinions on the fuel economy as well.

My questions to you guys would be:

• Is the BiTdi worth the extra money?
    • What should I look for when testing one as anomalies or know problems?
    • Does the Air Suspension really make that much of a difference? I know about the squicking issues. Car will be run on higher tires, with maximum 19 inch rims.

I would appreciate your insights.

Thank you

0 0 0

2. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasFFX View Post
    Does the Air Suspension really make that much of a difference? I know about the squicking issues. Car will be run on higher tires, with maximum 19 inch rims.
    I had a ZF in my A6/C6, and had the S-Tronic in the C7, and currently I have the ZF in a Q7. In my opinion, the C7 S-Tronic was better then the C6 Tiptronic, however, it was a newer car with a little better engine (approx 250 HP vs. 220 HP). What I was wondered is the S-Tronics gears, as even it had 7 gears, the first gear was almost never used, so it seemed to me more like the former 6 gears ZF. However, non of these could be compared to the current ZF/8 gear Tiptronic, as this transmission is definitely superior over the others. My biggest surprise was the fuel economy, this gearbox does the impossible: I have almost the same fuel consumption, as it was in the A6/C7, while I have a far stronger engine.

However: All my former gearboxes had a failure at approximately 100.000 miles. By this, it seems, none of these were designed to work as long as the engine. But, there were two huge differences: The ZF had a factory solution to recalibrate the gearbox with a new transmission oil, and it worked on without any problem, while the S-Tronic needed a huge and expensive repair. The other difference was, that Audi told, that the S-Tronic problem is a "well known" issue, while the ZF was a non usual problem, which had a factory based solution.

In short, I suggest the ZF, as it's a far better gearbox.

About the air suspension: IMHO if you have an allroad like air suspension, that it will be good, but the regular air suspension is not a superior thing. I had a 19" wheel, and I replaced it with a 17" version, as on the 19" I felt, I drive on the wheels without any rubber on the them. It was awful.. so, I don't say it doesn't worth the money, but I think, if you can live with a 17" wheel, than probably you will never need it. However if you will have a 19" on the Balkan's roads, than IMHO it will be a must have option.
    Audi Q7/4M MY2016, 3.0 TDI/200 KW Quattro

0 1 0

3. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    I love my BiTDi, only had it a month or so, but it is a beast, and mpg reads around 40 most the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Regards Dean Warren. VCDS owner/user
    A6 C7 3.0 BiTDi Quattro Avant 2012 S-Line Tech pack tour Pack ACC Blind spot folding mirrors Sold
    S6 C8 3.0 TDI Quattro Avant 2021 360 Camera Bose Extended leather.

0 0 0

4. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    The s tronic gearbox needs a service every 38 or 40,000 miles. If this has been missed walk away. The ZF gearbox doesn't have a service schedule but ZF recommend an oil change at 60,000 miles. My A6C7 bitdi had a long term average of 38mpg and got 45 mpg on a motorway run. Once you get used to the ZF gearbox it is great-drop it into sport when you come to a junction and switch off the stop start. Lag isn't so noticeable once that is done.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Be careful of the BiTDi after it’s had the latest emissions update. I know 3 owners who are very unhappy with their cars after the update. One car drinks adBlue, the other two reckon the adBlue usage has approximately doubled and all three claim the cars are not as fuel efficient as they were before the update.

0 0 0

6. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I have the 313bhp version, no adblue to worry about. If you are concerned about the quality of diesel, then use a cetane booster, change the oil and both filters every 6 months, oil change on the ZF box at 90k miles ish, 5 to 6 years, buy your parts from *******.com there is an app, and enjoy, I am

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

0 0 0

7. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)
    Personally i stick with genuine parts in my bitdi as filters etc are not that expensive. other parts ie wear n tear brakes then yes shop around.
    RS6 Performance Ascari Blue, Carbon Ceramics Brakes and lots more.
    A6 BiTdi Avant MTM
    Retrofitted: Full Led Headlights, DAB, Full Electric Seats, Surround View Cameras, Genuine RS6 Grille, RS6 Seats,Leather Door Armrests, Soft Close Doors, Rear Side Blinds,High Beam Assist, Eibach Springs, Led Roof Console, 4 Zone Climate, Rear Heated Seats, Head Up Display, Side assist, Alcantara Interior Retrim

0 0 0

8. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    BITDI don't use ad blue ? ?
    Quote Originally Posted by wja96 View Post
    Be careful of the BiTDi after it’s had the latest emissions update. I know 3 owners who are very unhappy with their cars after the update. One car drinks adBlue, the other two reckon the adBlue usage has approximately doubled and all three claim the cars are not as fuel efficient as they were before the update.
    R8 V10 plus 2016. Stock no mods so far.
    A6 Avant Black Edition 2014 BITDI STG 3 @ 459 Bhp 912NM.

0 0 0

9. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackblack View Post
    BITDI don't use ad blue ? ?
    The OP asked a question specifically about the 320PS engine. And it does use adBlue. Lots and lots of it.

0 0 0

10. Re: Buying the proper 3.0 TDI Quattro. Dilemma between 3.0 TDI 272hp vs 3.0 BiTdi 320hp 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    My biTDi 320 hasn't had the emissions s/w update and i get about 7500-8000 miles per adblue tank but most of my miles are motorway miles. I have a long term average of 42mpg and a best ever of 50mpg. The air suspension is so much better for day to day than coil springs too.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast