Notices

User Tag List

Thread: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox?

1. New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hello,
    I'm a new owner of Audi A6 C8 sedan and overall really like the car. I have a few minor issues though and I'm wondering if anybody else experienced them?

1. I have the brushed aluminium decor trim and it seems to make some squeaks/rattles at times. It's not terrible, but I can just hear the dash (especially above glovebox) slightly flex/squeak on uneven roads. Is it normal or can be somehow addressed? Overall this dash construction seems much less sturdy and more rattle-friendly than in the old A6 or current A4.

2. Already a few days ago I had an MMI not available/switched off error. It caused the whole entertainment system not to work (no radio, no setups etc.). Only after doing a reset (longer pressing the volume knob) I managed to get all functions back. Interesting thing is that even after 4 days of car standing locked, the issue was still present. In my previous cars - that would automatically cause a restart of the MMI system.

3. The boot hardly opens with the foot. It often requires multiple tries, exactly in the center of the car + I have to touch the bumper with my foot. I tried it on some demo car and it worked much better...

4. I'm a little crazy about those things, but the panels/door lines could be more carefully aligned (mainly the front/rear door and boot has bigger gap on one side). For example - look at the photo. What do you think, should I complain or just let it go, because it's better not to start to mess with the 'factory'?

IMG_6345 2.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    My thoughts on your points....
    1. I would return to dealer and get them to investigate/resolve the creaking issues... These build problems not acceptable on an Audi... just hope it can be a relatively straightforward fix..
    2. Again would report to dealer... May be some issues with the new software in the car.. that will need some firmware updates to become fully stable. Audi won’t know there are software issues unless you report it to them.
    3. I have the auto boot opening on my C7. it is a bit hit and miss.. you just need to learn the knack/soft shoe shuffle to get it to work 90% of the time on your first attempt... try as wide a sweep with your foot as you can manage without looking like a ballroom dancer..
    4. I’m pretty pernickety with shut lines... had a zoom in on your picture and can honestly say that I don’t think it looks to bad.. maybe not 100 percent perfect.. but seem ten times worse.. just my opinion... Good luck..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A6 Black Edition - 2014 - 2.0 TDI Manual
    Daytona Grey Pearl, Full LED Headlights, Technology Pack, Advanced Key
    4 Zone Climate Control & Heated Seats, Colour DIS, Lighting Pack - LED Ambient Lighting.

0 0 0

3. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmonster View Post
    My thoughts on your points....
    1. I would return to dealer and get them to investigate/resolve the creaking issues... These build problems not acceptable on an Audi... just hope it can be a relatively straightforward fix..
    2. Again would report to dealer... May be some issues with the new software in the car.. that will need some firmware updates to become fully stable. Audi won’t know there are software issues unless you report it to them.
    3. I have the auto boot opening on my C7. it is a bit hit and miss.. you just need to learn the knack/soft shoe shuffle to get it to work 90% of the time on your first attempt... try as wide a sweep with your foot as you can manage without looking like a ballroom dancer..
    4. I’m pretty pernickety with shut lines... had a zoom in on your picture and can honestly say that I don’t think it looks to bad.. maybe not 100 percent perfect.. but seem ten times worse.. just my opinion... Good luck..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for your feedback. Regarding point 1 and 3 - I will mention it to the dealer. Concerning this software issue - I reported it to them (with screenshots) and only was advised to reboot the MMI. If it will repeat - I will push more
    Regarding number 4 - I think I will let it go unless I will have some other issues related to it (like wind noise from certain door etc.). I had complaints about each of my 3 last cars in that aspect (not perfectly aligned lines, doors not shutting lightly or the impression like the door is not closed tight enough and leaking noise). Adjustments by dealer sometimes helped a little, but felt more like placebo effect

0 0 0

4. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    On the software... it’s probably likely that new cars with complicated operating systems will have issues with the early releases... not that the dealer will tell you that directly.. if enough peeps report it they will progress it... they don’t want the press in having unreliable cars etc... German cars and Audi specifically have been pretty good in this respect in my experience.. if you’ve ever had long term experience of French cars software issues you will know how frustrating it can be... hope it works out for you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    4 Zone Climate Control & Heated Seats, Colour DIS, Lighting Pack - LED Ambient Lighting.

0 0 0

5. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just had my 2018 A6 C8 40 TDI in with the main dealer for a check over for the same reason , creaking and rattles in the dash , spoilt the ride but thankfully they seem to have resolved it after having it in for a week to confirm it’s fixed ( so far ) , runs a lot quieter and no creaking or rattles thankfully.. so persevere and go back to the dealer , there is a fix for it !!

0 0 0

6. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Any detailed breakdown of what exactly they did?
    A7 55 TFSI S-Line 2018

0 0 0

7. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
    Any detailed breakdown of what exactly they did?
    My service just taped all the connectors/clips that hold the decorative trim in place from the passenger side. From my initial impressions - it's better but still some squeaks can be heard when going over small bumps. Not sure if it's possible to completely get rid of them with such flimsy dash construction (a lot of plastic pieces all flexing/rubbing, reacting to heat/cold).

0 0 0

8. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    This doesn’t sound right from an Audi build quality point of view.. are we saying that the C8 has taken a step back in this department... or are there a limited number of dodgy builds out these. I wouldn’t be accepting this; you don’t buy a 40-50k (and upwards) motor to be having these type of issues.

0 1 0

9. Re: New A6 C8 - rattle/squeaks from the trim above glovebox? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gmonster View Post
    This doesn’t sound right from an Audi build quality point of view.. are we saying that the C8 has taken a step back in this department... or are there a limited number of dodgy builds out these. I wouldn’t be accepting this; you don’t buy a 40-50k (and upwards) motor to be having these type of issues.

There is no doubt that whole Audi line-up went backwards when it comes to interior quality materials. Many plastics are lower quality/harder than in my old A4. For example - the top door trim - completely hard plastic (I did not pay extra for the leatherette). The plastic on the lower part of the cockpit (around the steering wheel, instrument cluster etc) - super hard scratchy plastic. In comparison - in the A4 those areas are soft. Plastics are softer even in Golf MK7.

It's not different in Audi Q8 which has such high starting price that it's outrageous...On the other hand - BMW improved - like current 3 series has better quality materials and more soft plastics than A6 C8.

0 0 0