1. Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Well my weeks of A7 Woes are getting better, NSF spring snapped whilst in the 3rd lane of the motorway last night. Got it recovered and just been priced £104.12+vat for the springs and £142+vat for shocks from TPS.

Three questions, can i get away with just changing one spring or as its done 97K or do i change both.

Shocks have obviously done 97K so is it worth changing shocks as well seen as though i''m taking them out or am i wasting my money.

Suppose the latter question can't be answered without getting them off the car and checking their condition but just gauging opinions as wasn't expecting all this to happen.

Finally, does anyone know who the OEM is for these springs and struts as when i did my A3 i learnt that Sachs were the OEM and i saved a wedge by buying them without the audi logo on!

0 0 0

2. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Always replace both springs. If one has broken the other can't be far away. Also springs do wear. I fanged my shocks at 120k miles and wished I had also done the springs.

as alternatives, I would suggest Koni or Bilstein. They do sets which should be just about the same price as Audi.
    Audi A7 3.0TDi 2011 160k miles, engine code CLAB 204bhp 2WD

0 0 0

3. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The only company I trust to get an OE spring specification correct is Suplex. For the springs and dampers, firstly you need to know the exact part numbers of what you have and any supervisions there may be and then a suitable factor can cross reference these to Suplex springs and Sachs or Boge dampers, very occasionally some applications are Monroe from the factory and quite often the OE supplier of the dampers is VAG itself from its Braunschweig components plant.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Thanks, it’s a monroe shock not sure on the spring. Where do you stand on replacing springs singularly?

0 0 0

5. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I think replacing individual springs should be illegal as it should be with dampers, discs, pads, tyres etc.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

2 1 0

6. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Well, 18 months later and about 6k miles, the other side snapped. Same place, obviously a weak spot. Almost identical break and result. At £140 a spring from TPS i couldn't afford to do both at once.

0 0 0

7. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    Yet drives an A7

0 0 0

8. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    What an obnoxious unnecessary reply. What has the cars I own got to do with what one can and can’t afford at any given time? Exactly..... sweet fa.

0 0 0

9. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    308 Post(s)
    You have been told by two informed people to do both springs
    , one a veteran VAG independent and his view is just doing the one should be illegal .

My brother only yesterday had his front wishbones replaced , only one had failed but he did both , it's an 09 Focus and he can't afford it either..

0 0 0

10. Re: Springs and Shocks 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Not sure why you have a bee in your bonnet for, I was following up an old thread which many don’t bother to do, I simply pointed out that I didn’t do both and yet both failed eventually. Just because someone advises you to do something doesn’t mean it’s the only way to go about something chill out ffs.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast