1. T4 brakes locking on?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My Autosleeper MH, based on a 99 T4 2.5tdi with just 48k miles, is suffering from the brakes sticking on. All 4!! We were heading off early yesterday, managed about 130miles before a breakfast stop. While the wife sorted food, I checked round the van and found all four wheels way too hot to touch. Tried a few local garages to no avail, so turned for home. Got about 30mile back and stopped to check again, this time all was well, wheels cool to touch. Set off again and it wouldn’t pull 3rd gear, so pulled straight off the A1 at next exit, and wheels scorching again. Needless to say it took the RACs recovery contractor 8hrs to collect us, plus 3hrs to get us 95 mile home, with 3 more stops.(a very stressfull day)
    Anyway, today I’ve replaced the master cylinder and all 6 flexi hoses, and flushed the brake fluid with almost 2ltrs of new fluid. All the calipers are clean, greased where necessary and almost new pads and discs all round. And were still getting calipers locking up with the only way to release to be opening the bleed nipple, after which alls good for some time until they randomly lock up again!! (only thing I can’t say is if they all lock up together, something I plan to check in the morning).
    All I can think is to replace the servo. Although it appears to work just fine, and theres no water inside it. With the master cyl off i could move the pushrod inside, all seemed clean with smooth operation. Brake pedal seems to move freely with no sign of any issue when the problem happens.
    So we’re totally stumped and concerned we daren’t try for Scotland again as I’m not sure the RAC will recover us again within days for the same fault.
    Any ideas?

0 0 0

2. Re: T4 brakes locking on?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Sounds like the brake pedal pushrod clearance is too tight and the only way that can happen the way you describe is with a faulty servo.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: T4 brakes locking on?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher. Ive found one in a nearish GSF that I can get first thing tomorrow .
    However, someone else has suggested the resovoir could be over filled. But thinkng it through, we used a pressure pot to bleed the system. Now there looks to be a vent fitting just behind the cap on the resovoir, with a little black plastic cap. How come the pressure from the pressure pot kit didn’t just vent through that. Could it all just being caused by a totally blocked vent? I guess we need to have another play with both the pressure pot kit disconnected and the lid off the resovoir. Or undo the cap when they lock and see if they release.

0 0 0

4. Re: T4 brakes locking on?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty sure it is servo. I jacked up one side of the van, both wheels free. Pump the brakes and both release but the front has some resistance. Fire the engine up and repeat, the front wheel is much stiffer to turn, but when I pulled the vacuum pipe from the servo the wheel freed right off.
    Cap on the resovoir looks ok and makes no difference if on or off.

0 0 0

5. Re: T4 brakes locking on?? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Whoever suggested it could be the reservoir that was over filled, I would treat their advice on anything with a lot of caution.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0