Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

Just thought I'd share my findings. I've been toying with the idea of disconnecting the EGR. Anyway, after accelerating hard up a slip road and producing a small cloud along some influence from forum members, I have disconnected it. At the same time I changed the adaption on fuelling to somewhere approx 5mg/h. Ross-tech say this can help with driveability problems and increase. Seems to have helped.

The biggest gains have been from the lack of smoke and I'm returning 58mpg on runs where I normally had 54-55mpg with a much smoother response. It should improve too as the soot and gunge is slowly cleared from the EGRs operation.

Regards

Marco
    A4 1.9TDI 160bhp Sport - 2001 (51)
    Re-map by more-bhp.
    TT 3.2 V6 DSG quattro 270BHP - 2003 (53)

0 0 0

2. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey,
    Disconnected mine last week too as i was getting a bit of smoke under acceleration mainly noticeable at night in my rear view mirror due to car headlights behind me! Took off the pipe and blanked it and the smoke has completely gone, also runs smoother and pulls a bit better! Im well impressed!
    Scottyjohn
    www.flashsync.co.uk
    2002 A4 Avant TDI SE Avant

0 0 0

3. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just by adjusting my setting for the egr, my car smoke considerably less, may go the hole hog an remove it now.

Have you any pics of what you have done ?

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

4. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onzarob View Post
    Just by adjusting my setting for the egr, my car smoke considerably less, may go the hole hog an remove it now.

Have you any pics of what you have done ?
    Hi, I havn't got pics but I really suggest disconnecting. It's an add-on at the end of the day. I have the PD engine so not sure how it looks on yours. I simply disconnected the pipe from the top of the EGR and bunged it with a large alan key style bolt. I can always re-connect should I need too. Let me know if you have any probs. I suggest you give it a go!!

Hey,
    Disconnected mine last week too as i was getting a bit of smoke under acceleration mainly noticeable at night in my rear view mirror due to car headlights behind me! Took off the pipe and blanked it and the smoke has completely gone, also runs smoother and pulls a bit better! Im well impressed!
    [/quote]

Even under light acceleration I saw the smoke in the headlights too.... that has gone now also.. amazing result I also had some hesitation and that's been cured also... this should be a must do mod!!
    A4 1.9TDI 160bhp Sport - 2001 (51)
    Re-map by more-bhp.
    TT 3.2 V6 DSG quattro 270BHP - 2003 (53)

0 0 0

5. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    do you need to plug the egr too, or just the rubber pipe?

0 0 0

6. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
    do you need to plug the egr too, or just the rubber pipe?

Just the rubber pipe. And hide the pipe under the engine cover.

I'm a disconnected smokeless convert too - well I did mine last year and have had no problems, so can say it causes no problems when disconnected.
    A4 Avant 1.9 TDi160 for when the weather is on the damp side - Sold after 9yrs. Now A5 3.0TDI Q Sport Coupe (310bhp/480ft/lbs - Yamaha R6 for when its dry and want some 'High octane Petrol' fun.

0 0 0

7. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I get it now, your disconnecting the actuator for the egr, but not physically removing it

VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0T 2015 - Awesome snow churning 4x4 GTI 😉

0 0 0

8. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Marco,
    just been reading your thread, I have also noticed smoke under hard acceleration, I am interested to find out where the EGR is so i can disconnect the hose as it seems to work for you guys, i have a 1.9 TDi 100.

cheers

0 0 0

9. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    As mentioned in the pm to you marco you are altering the duty cycle time on/off time of the unit injectors and the suppresing egr operation so no more dirty air going in and smoother combustion(revert for mot) black smoke is generally air loss from split pipes as less air is being drawn in.ALWAYS WRITE DOWN YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS WHEN ALTERING ADAPTION CHANNELS 1,3 VIA LOGIN 12233 SO YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO SPEC.
    Last edited by a8 tech; 08-04-2009 at 09:53 PM.

0 0 0

10. Re: EGR Disconnected!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by a8 tech View Post
    As mentioned in the pm to you marco you are altering the duty cycle time on/off time of the unit injectors and the suppresing egr operation so no more dirty air going in and smoother combustion(revert for mot) black smoke is genraly air loss from split pipes as less air is being drawn in.ALWAYS WRITE DOWN YOUR ORIGINAL SETTINGS WHEN ALTERING ADAPTION CHANNELS 1,3 VIA LOGIN 12233 SO YOU CAN REVERT BACK TO SPEC.
    any chance you can share what settings you are referring to? I have vag-com and would like to try this too.

B6 A4 TDI 130 Sport Avant.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast