1. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    228 Post(s)
    Its a possibility. Have you checked in Connection Manager to make sure everything is ticked and setup right?

I dont have an IPhone so can't say for sure unfortunately.
    Q7 272PS | ABT Tuned to 325PS / 680Nm | Tech Pack | Dyn Pack | Matrix | Pan Roof | Trailer | Drv+Pass Mem Seats | TV | NightV | BOSE | DVD Chger | Homelink | Soft Doors | Heat+Snd Ins Glass | Priv Glass | Heat W/Screen | Heat Steer Wheel | Adv Key | Elec Boot Cover | Elec Steer Column | Side Assist | Air Susp | Ambient Light | Heat+Fold Mirrors | Park Assist Pack | Adv TPMS | Load Fix Kit | Black Turbine Alloys | Matte Black Wrap | ABT Door Leds

0 0 0

2. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Turn off the bluetooth (so the car can't see the phone) and try? There is an option in the Connection Manager to switch on Data Module which you need that on as well. If it works, you will see a Cell signal icon on the bottom left of the MMI screen.

Not sure if you already done, try insert a different SIM (the one in your phone?), sometimes the chip on the SIM can be a bit misaligned which might be ok with some devices but not with the others depending on the pin locations.

0 0 0

3. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Everything’s been set up following the MMI instructions. So nothing unusual that I’m aware of. My reason for posting was I know there are loads of things on the X5 I drive that needed special tweeks even though it said it didn’t so I didn’t know if there was some special nac or something for this. Sadly seems like you just push the sim in and off you go.

The master tech said you should push the sim in and if a phone is connected it would ask which data to use. Given there’s lots about android phones being able to share the sim but iPhones you have to tether I wasn’t sure what to expect

0 0 0

4. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jldiablo View Post
    Turn off the bluetooth (so the car can't see the phone) and try? There is an option in the Connection Manager to switch on Data Module which you need that on as well. If it works, you will see a Cell signal icon on the bottom left of the MMI screen.

Not sure if you already done, try insert a different SIM (the one in your phone?), sometimes the chip on the SIM can be a bit misaligned which might be ok with some devices but not with the others depending on the pin locations.
    Thanks. This is what I tried as I was also trying to rule out if there connections causing the issue.

Log out of Audi Connect
    Turn of the data module
    Turn off Bluetooth and wifi

Reset all the MMI back to factory

I inserted the sim and clicked audi connect, had the usual warning about using when its safe and then, for the briefest of moments, the connected services list showed/flashed, then it went straight back to the usual no data connection, check sim. Bear in mind the WiFi and Bluetooth are still switched off and nothing paired yet the only way it could have connected would have been via the sim surely?

I tried ejecting the sim and trying again but I’m back to the same check sim, no data connections error.

I’m now solely using the SIM card the master tech gave me which they had working.

0 0 0

5. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    You mentioned turning off data module but not switching it back on... Did the factory reset turned it back on? If so, sounds like the problem is still with the SIM slot.. Also make sure the SIM carad goes in in the right direction.. most SIM slot would not let the SIM card in if they are being inserted in the wrong direction, but I have seen some which you can pop the card in no matter which way you do it, can't remember if this one is one of those... worth checking..

I always swap SIMs while the car is off, I've broken a SIM slot on a phone before doing a hot swap...

0 0 0

6. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jldiablo View Post
    You mentioned turning off data module but not switching it back on... Did the factory reset turned it back on? If so, sounds like the problem is still with the SIM slot..
    I always swap SIMs while the car is off, I've broken a SIM slot on a phone before doing a hot swap...
    One of the other issues is stability. Sometimes I click turn data module off and it does it. Other times I waits for ages and then it still says turn off. So I’m not convinced. If I recall after a proper reset I went through the whole process with nothing turned on and the MMI prompting me all the way. That’s how I discovered I could tether my iPhone.

The master tech has said “I will look at the version of your mmi today online and check for any updates” so sounds like they will only do it if there’s something documented about it. Strange as usually it’s always make sure your running the current versions.

Appreciate the help folks!

I’m tempted to start the boot speaker upgrade but given the **** they gave me for wiring in the dash cam as the cause I’m loathed to start until this is finished.

Dash cam installed into the fuse box a month after the sim issue was reported btw

0 0 0

7. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The master tech tried this trick of locking the car, waiting a minute and then unlocking. Is there some trick to make sure the memory is lost and not held by doing this?

I’m tempted to do a full restore and start 100% from scratch. Question is should I do this with the sim in or out!

0 0 0

8. 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Right. Just read something on here about sim issues, oddly found when searching for the secret restart nav/radio/click wheel combo so tried their suggestion.

Factory reset Audi connect and force restart. Tried both with the sim in and out. Nothing. Arhhhhhhh

Would someone be able to check on their cars what they see for me please?

If I look at data connections in connection manager I see my phone and the WiFi symbol in white. I obviously have the option to click the tick box to connect.

If I invest a sim the sim shows up but everything goes grey and I can’t click on anything. I can eight menu the sim for settings, but clicking on sim pin or sim settings does nothing.

This is my first Audi so I don’t know what to expect

0 0 0

9. Re: 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    hmmm... if it does something when the SIM is inserted, it means that the car actually detected the SIM card.. it is a good sign..

This video shows how to config APN etc when a SIM is inserted (an older MMI layout but menu options should be more or less the same), would you be able to get to a similar screen? Maybe it was missing APN settings which prevented the internet connection to work??
    AT&T SETTINGS FOR AUDI MMI - YouTube

I can take a look at my car when I get a moment later.

0 0 0

10. 2016 SIM issues - Dealer embarrassed and out of ideas 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    All data connection info is grey and says not available

Would something happen if the cars been sat off for a few days and then turned on with nothing connected? Or what would happen when you remove and reinstall a module?

Just trying to think of ways to recreate whatever the master tech stumbled on

0 0 0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast