Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I had the almost identical FPR (it is 4 Bar) on a Corrado VR6 fail where the internal diaphragm split and sprayed fuel into the inlet manifold via the vacuum pipe.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

2. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I had the almost identical FPR (it is 4 Bar) on a Corrado VR6 fail where the internal diaphragm split and sprayed fuel into the inlet manifold via the vacuum pipe.
    That could be a problem if slowing down or crawling in traffic.

Maybe it would be nice to put a fitting with a small orifice in the vacuum pipe to restrict the amount of fuel that could pass in the event of diaphragm failure. I have some of those small jets used in gas stoves, maybe one of those with the hex rounded off and pushed into the vacuum pipe would do the job.

An air vent valve, in which a float closes the outlet if liquid enters, would completely prevent any fuel passing into the manifold.
    Last edited by FrenchAudi; 18-09-2019 at 01:08 PM.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

3. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have only seen it that once, it was a few months ago. The car had been in storage for around 10 years and was just filled up the unleaded and started. I have had quite a few instances of older cars run on basic unleaded spring rubber fuel component leaks, in fact on that same Corrado the rubber fuel lines next to the head were as hard as plastic and also leaking plus they were extremely hard to find. This is a problem that is only going to get worse when E10 fuel is introduced and WHEN cars start bursting into flames and killing people, there will be trouble.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    E10 has been available in France for the last 10 years, and is the only 95 octane fuel avilable in most fuel stations.

I have been using it in my 1996 A4 since I bought it in Feb 2016. The fuel hoses are quite normal - flexible and showing no signs of deterioration.

Maybe cars which have been stored for long periods have problems unrelated to the type of fuel put into the tank. Like being left completely dry.

I have a 1986 Alfa Sprint, which I just started for the first time in 3 or 4 years. I have checked the petrol lines, and they show no sign of leaks or deterioration. Even the large hose connecting the filler with the bottom of the tank, which is always full of fuel.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23

0 0 0

5. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have seen a lot of early cars with very badly deteriorated hose. A few years ago we put some new aftermarket fuel lines on a Golf 1 GTI and within 2 years they started to leak and that is with E5.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Funny you should say that. I have just (finally) traced a starting problem on our Alfa 33 1.4 ie to a leaking diaphragm on the FPR, after following several false trails thrown up by the car's primitive OBD system. Problem is that a new FPR and its accompanying fuel pressure dashpot/damper, recommended to be replaced together, are not available from any of my usual suppliers. Other sources I have found want £150 or more for the pair, for items made over 20 years ago which may have brittle or perished diaphragms anyway.
    I have spare items on the parts cars, which may also be too old, so I'm looking at using a new, adjustable FPR if I can make up the necessary adapters to fit it.

Apart from that, I wondered if the Audi could have the same problem, as the fuel pressure test did initially show a slow leak on the engine side, which disappeared after I disturbed the FPR in its seating.
    There was no sign of petrol in the vacuum hose when I disconnected it, but I disconnected and plugged it on the last two evenings, and the engine started immediately the next morning.
    So, as the OEM Bosch FPR for the Audi is only €38 (about £34) I have one on the way, and hope it finally solves the problem.

It's also a hell of a lot easier to change than the one on the Alfa, which has to have the inlet manifold and associated parts removed for access, and a set of gaskets to replace.

0 0 0

7. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    The new FPR arrived on Friday and I fitted it today, after I finished replacing the FPR on the Alfa 33.

The FPR I removed must have deteriorated further, as petrol dripped out of the vacuum pipe when I disconnected it.

I found it rather difficult to get the old FPR out, and to push the new one in far enough to get the clip in place, but managed eventually without distorting the top of the support too much

The car now starts as it should do.

And so does the Alfa

0 0 0

8. Re: What size pipes on petrol pump? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    A dry rail socket and a tiny wipe of washing up liquid. There are quite a lot of stories of cars going up in smoke due to Ethanol content, more environmentally friendly stupidity. I remember years ago the environmentalists of the day screamed for bio degradable plastic bags, now we have micro plastic getting into the food chain, better the Devil you can see.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12