Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing?

1. Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Folks,

I was on quite a long trip yesterday (200 miles) and at the end I parked for an hour. When I got back in the car I got multiple error lights on the dash regarding ABS, EPB & Steering.
    I turned the engine off restarted and same again.

I scanned with rosstech last night and got the following errors -

00290 Rear left Abs wheel speed (008/004)
    01316 Abs module issue steering
    01316 Abs module EPB issue

I had driven through incredibly heavy rain so wondered if something got a bit damp! I cleared the codes and this morning barely got out the drive before they all came back on again!

I understand its probably either the Abs sensor or wheel bearing from some hunting, has anyone else had this issue?
    Audi A6 2008 Saloon Sline 2.0 Tdi BRE
    Vw Passat B7 1.6 tdi 2012 estate

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

2. Re: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Yes, had a few months ago on our Skoda Yeti and it was a rear wheel sensor. There's a topic on it further down.

Here, https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/s...Christmas-tree
    2013 B7 Passat BlueMotion Sport Estate 2.0 TDi 177PS (CFGC), 6 speed Manual, Metallic Night Blue, Fontana alloys, Start/Stop, RNS-510 (HW H09, SW 5238 V13 maps, 8316) Nav DAB, ACC, XDS, TPM, Westfalia Tow bar, Rear View camera, Keyless Entry, Easy Open/close Electric Tailgate, Park Assist, Electric Parking Brake, DRL's, Amb light, Zebrano wood, Tinted Glass, mud flaps, 61K. Cheat emission software. Nextbase 402G iN-CAR CAM.

1 0 0

3. Re: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is a bit young for it to be the wheel bearing magnetic ring so I would do the sensor first.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 0 0

4. Re: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies, I was getting shopping out the car today and I noticed the disc on this rear left had some very faint lines almost like rust, Ibent down to rub them and was shocked how how the disc was - went round to the other side and it was cooler, hard to tell how much but definitely cooler.

- Could the car be breaking this wheel via the ABS (apologies if that sounds daft)
    - I'm thinking that either the piston has seized or the pads are stuck in the thin metal carriers which were not replaced when I did the pads and discs in March?
    - or has the bearing gone and the heat is transferring?

Crasher I was searching and read a few of your replies on similar issues on the passat and other VAG, jumping the gun a bit but is the bearing bolt a total pig - I only have a 4/5ft section of box tube as my longer breaker bar!
    Audi A6 2008 Saloon Sline 2.0 Tdi BRE
    Vw Passat B7 1.6 tdi 2012 estate

Previously - 2008 1.6 tdi Mini, 2006 Mazda Mx5 1.8, 2002 Vw Golf 1.9 tdi SE, 2010 Bmw 318d Msport, 1992 Porsche 944 2.5 turbo, 1986 Porsche 944 2.5 NA, 1984 Porsche 944 2.5 NA

0 0 0

5. Re: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    A 5 footer should be OK if you are as heavy as me, it is the drive that is the problem, 1/2” just can’t cope. One of my lads sheared my Snap Off breaker bar doing the angle, so then found my torque angle gauge for doing head studs and broke that and only then came to ask me what else he could break....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Haha brilliant sounds very familiar!
    Thanks hopefully it’s not the bearing. I suspect it’s a calliper issue.
    Will start by pulling the abs sensor and go from there.

0 0 0

7. Re: Multiple errors 00290 & 01316 on ABS Module steering & parking - Sensor or Bearing? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Ok so I bought a cheap IR thermometer (£10 on eBay) and after my commute home disc etc on the side in question is about 70 degrees c versus the other is about 45/50. So definitely running hot.

I ordered an ate abs sensor, new metal shim guides that go into the pad carrier and a new piston and frentech caliper rebuild kit.

I took everything apart and couldn’t see a whole lot, the guides / sliders move freely and the rubber is intact.

The rubber cover at the piston although not perforated was pretty buckled so I removed the caliper and rebuilt it with new seals and a new piston. The old piston looked ok but has some wear at the inner seal. I’ll post some pics of the caliper rebuild separately.

One thing I noticed is that the piston marks on the rear of the inner pad are not centered is that normal? It doesn’t look right but I checked and everything is seated correctly!!

I checked the bearing by rotating the hub and it is very smooth so I’m not touching it for now!

So finally I went to remove the abs sensor and the hex head screw came out nicely but the sensor will not budge! I’m working pretty blind as I can’t get behind it but is there a trick to get it out? Don’t want to snap it!!! Any suggestions appreciated!!!

IMG-5144.jpg

IMG-5143.jpg
    Last edited by Strath44; 26-07-2019 at 12:56 PM.

0 0 0