Notices

User Tag List

Thread: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just had a NextBase 522GW webcam fitted by Halfords with a small rear webcam included. Unfortunately, the guy who did it couldn't/wouldn't dismantle the tailgate trim to get the cable from the car body to the tailgate via the hinge covers whch has left quite an unsightly loop of wire hanging down in the rear windows as the wire has to be long enough to cover the open boot distance between the tailgate and the car bofy. Obviously, I would like to tidy it up and have looked everywhere for some guidance on how to (simply?) dismantle the tailgate trim to feed the cable through with the other cables that are needed in the tailgate. But I can find NOTHING! Does anybody out there have any guidance they could offer? Photo attached of current version. Any help appreciated! Michael.

20190711_125344 (002).jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Remove your warning triangle and the covers for the tailgate lights, you will find 4 or 5 T25 torx screws, once they are removed you simply lever the panel, it will pop as the clips come undone, they are tight. The hinge covers also unclip. Its one of those "have to be brave" times. The trim comes out in 1 piece.
    2015 A6 Allroad 3.0TDi 218 CRTE - NEW
    2012 A6 Avant 3.0TDi Multitronic - OLD

0 0 0

3. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks! Found 4xTorx 25 and a couple of the lower clips snapped out OK, but then it really became difficult to move anything else. So much so, I abandoned doing it - especially as i don't know where the clips are. Need to have another go sometime soon. Thanks for the advice.

0 0 0

4. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Morning Mike,

I can't give you any specific instructions but I can say I've been here a few times and you do need to be brave. however there are a couple of things you can do to make life easier. Firstly, buy the right tool for the job! Search a well known home delivery site for "trim removal tools" and for a few quid you can buy a full set. This will mean you can apply force in exactly the right place. Screwdrivers don't really help and they run the risk of damaging the vehicle or yourself. Secondly, buy a kit of trim fasteners so if you do break a plastic clip you have replacements ready - again for just a few quid. Lastly, try and find the drawings for your vehicle. I found some for my C5 a while ago and they showed the location of the clips so you know where to apply leverage.

I have this exact problem in my disco, I haven't even fitted the rear cam yet as I need to figure out the route the cable will take but it is a headlining-out job...

Good Luck...

N
    Audi A6 C5 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant 2000 193,000 In service (on its last legs)
    Audi A8 D2 4.2 Auto Quattro 1998 150,000 RIP
    Audi 100 C4 2.3 Manual Quattro Avant 1995 124,000 RIP
    Audi 100 C3 2.3 Manual Quattro Avant 1991 165,000 RIP
    Audi 80 B3 1.6 Manual Quattro Saloon 1988 145,000 RIP

0 0 0

5. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just to close this out, I finally bit the bullet and pulled the trim on the A6 C7 Avant. To help others, I have listed my steps below:

1. There are four Torx 25 screws: 2 under the warning triangle cover (remove warning triange!) and 1 under each of the tailgate panels giving access to the tailgate lights (just slide them off).
    2. Now for the moment of faith, Don't be worried about using a bit of grunt to lever the larger bottom cover of. Plastic tools are best and there are 14 individual clips (see image beow). Once you have popped a couple, get your fingers in and give them a good yank - they will pop. Maybe a good idea to have a couple of spare clips - they are a diamond shape with an open bottom with a side flange on either side to slip into the retainer - basically a bent piece of metal.
    3. Once it starts coming loose you need to be careful not to let it drop - there are wires going to the boot open/close switch (model dependent) and to the small interior light interior light on the bottom of the tailgate. If you lower the trim when it is loose, you will be able to disconnect them quite easily.
    4. The trim surrounding the tailgate window coms off in the same way. The upper back is quite difficult to access, but persistence pays off. It can be a bit difficult to lift out when unclipeed - it's a bit tight.
    5. The hinge covers just clip off.
    6. Install your rear dash cam wiring. You may have to to file a semi-circuar hole into the plastic trim to allow the dash cam cable to pass through.
    7. Checlk all the trim for missing clips and some small rubbers that fit over some holders. Look on the floor and your car boot or any that dropped off on removal. Check clip holes on the car to see if any clips stayed with the car rather than the trim. Bend and reshape (or replace) any distorted clips (quite easily done)
    8. Reassembly is the reverse process, but the window trim is difficult to get in the right position and it has to go over wiring etc to get to the windscreen and it is a tight fit. Sometimes when you feel you are near just give it a bang to see if it all goes in. Again persistence (and another pair of hands} work.
    9. Retrofitting the larger bottom panel is much easier - especially if you slide the trim into the slot around teh lock as a starter/locator. Don't forget to to push the two wires through before fitting! Most difficult bit is where bottom trim meets window trim. Again, some judicious banging to get clips to align works
    10. Once all clipped in place, replace screws and pastic covers. Some more banging to get hole alignment OK may be needed.
    11. All done. Test everything.

{F102FB3D-EE5B-719D-11B7-78508930DD27}.jpg

0 2 0

6. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikenott View Post
    Just to close this out, I finally bit the bullet and pulled the trim on the A6 C7 Avant. To help others, I have listed my steps below:

1. There are four Torx 25 screws: 2 under the warning triangle cover (remove warning triange!) and 1 under each of the tailgate panels giving access to the tailgate lights (just slide them off).
    2. Now for the moment of faith, Don't be worried about using a bit of grunt to lever the larger bottom cover of. Plastic tools are best and there are 14 individual clips (see image beow). Once you have popped a couple, get your fingers in and give them a good yank - they will pop. Maybe a good idea to have a couple of spare clips - they are a diamond shape with an open bottom with a side flange on either side to slip into the retainer - basically a bent piece of metal.
    3. Once it starts coming loose you need to be careful not to let it drop - there are wires going to the boot open/close switch (model dependent) and to the small interior light interior light on the bottom of the tailgate. If you lower the trim when it is loose, you will be able to disconnect them quite easily.
    4. The trim surrounding the tailgate window coms off in the same way. The upper back is quite difficult to access, but persistence pays off. It can be a bit difficult to lift out when unclipeed - it's a bit tight.
    5. The hinge covers just clip off.
    6. Install your rear dash cam wiring. You may have to to file a semi-circuar hole into the plastic trim to allow the dash cam cable to pass through.
    7. Checlk all the trim for missing clips and some small rubbers that fit over some holders. Look on the floor and your car boot or any that dropped off on removal. Check clip holes on the car to see if any clips stayed with the car rather than the trim. Bend and reshape (or replace) any distorted clips (quite easily done)
    8. Reassembly is the reverse process, but the window trim is difficult to get in the right position and it has to go over wiring etc to get to the windscreen and it is a tight fit. Sometimes when you feel you are near just give it a bang to see if it all goes in. Again persistence (and another pair of hands} work.
    9. Retrofitting the larger bottom panel is much easier - especially if you slide the trim into the slot around teh lock as a starter/locator. Don't forget to to push the two wires through before fitting! Most difficult bit is where bottom trim meets window trim. Again, some judicious banging to get clips to align works
    10. Once all clipped in place, replace screws and pastic covers. Some more banging to get hole alignment OK may be needed.
    11. All done. Test everything.

{F102FB3D-EE5B-719D-11B7-78508930DD27}.jpg
    Thanks a lot for sharing this, I couldn't bring myself to pay Halfords more for fitting than the actual cost of rear dashcam. I can use this as a guide.

Could you also share if Halfords fed the power wire from the front camera to the rear camera through the side pillars all the way to the top of boot or did he hide it under the floor carpet or some other way?

Thanks

0 1 0

7. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I didn't stay for the install, but the fitter did say that you had to be creful on the A6's because of the side air bags which I believe are bove the door(?) and to make sure the cables went behind the air bags which implies he was feeding them through that way rather than under carpets. You also need to make sure you have the "Mark II charging kit that goes in the left hand fuse box to the left of the glove compartment. Something to do with there not being a power supply point in the fuse box which is controlled by the car being locked, so a special component has to be put in which senses when the car is off and then disconnects the dash cam supply. Can take a picture tomorrow if you want. I just decided £50 was OK for the hassle/knowledge needed, but I did expect the rear cam feed to go via the hinges. MUCH neater now I have rerouted it. If you do you down to Halfords I would suggest you take off the interior trim before you go down and then fit it back on when you get home. Don't forget "You may have to to file a semi-circuar hole into the plastic trim to allow the dash cam cable to pass through." :-)

0 0 0

8. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just re-read your note and it implies you already have a front dash cam so apologies for t'other stuff!

0 0 0

9. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks Mike. I've done the front one such that it starts recording when car detects some movement, I didn't need to add any extra component in the fuse box.. followed some video on YouTube and it just works...
    Like you said in the opening post, there isn't a video or guide for installing the rear dashcam, until your guide so that solves the tricky bit of the installation, thanks. Just need to get the cable to the back in a 'neat' way now.

0 0 0

10. Re: 2017 A6 Avant All Road Tailgate internal trim removal to help rear dash cam cabling? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This is a thread regarding wiring a rear dashcam for an Avant Allroad. I also have a rear Nextbase dashcam to fit, and wonder if the tailgate would be the same in my standard Avant? Very useful thread thank you. If anyone can advise I'd be grateful.
    Audi A6 Avant Tdi Ultra S Line 2014

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast