Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all, I have a head-scratcher with my daughter's '94 Mk3 Golf 1.4L:

Turn on the ignition, and the dashboard warning-lights do not illuminate - with the exception of the handbrake-warning light, which comes on but fluctuates from bright to very dim, and all points in between. The car starts and runs OK, and I'm baffled by this; I have been trying to work out the logic, and so far have failed miserably. High-beam and Indicator-repeaters are unaffected; the dashboard-light dimmer seems to be working OK (not that they'd be affected by that). Can anyone suggest a cause/solution?

Complicating things from a practical standpoint is that I am in Surrey, whilst she lives in Cardiff, so I rarely get a chance to look at it! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

0 0 0

2. Re: Dashboard warning lights don't 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    Do the gauges work?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Dashboard warning lights don't 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, gauges work. Normal instrument panel illumination doesn't, but that's a separate issue - probably the darned bulbs (again)...

0 0 0

4. Re: Dashboard warning lights don't 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    So apart from the panel lights, what does not work I guess as just the oil pressure and ignition/charge warning. Does the digital clock work?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Dashboard warning lights don't 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's right. Apart from the panel lights (separate issue) everything seems to work, except the row along the bottom, which come on (or should) when the ignition is switched on. So that's: oil pressure; battery; handbrake (intermittent); and I can't remember whether there are any others along there, as they don't light up!

0 0 0

6. Re: Dashboard warning lights don't 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1813 Post(s)
    K3 oil pressure, K7 brake/parking brake and K28 coolant warning are all controlled by the computer in the dash which would suggest a fault with the J285 as it is known BUT the alternator warning light K2 is a direct feed from the alternator on a blue wire using the same ignition live (line 15)c power unfused supply as the J285, suggesting a fault with this power feed but if it was then I would not expect the gauges to work. What I suspect is more likely given that the K7 flickers is that the brown oil pressure switch is faulty and the feed from the D+ (thin blue wire) of the alternator broken (usually under the battery) so remove the blue/black from the brown (also could be blue) oil pressure switch on the back of the head, put it to earth and see if the K3 lights up.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Dashboard warning lights don't 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks - I'd never have figured that out! I'll try it, first chance I get (as I said, Surrey/Cardiff does complicate things - if I can get her to leave it here I can maybe get several jobs looked at). I'll let you know the outcome. Once again, many thanks for that suggestion; we'll see what happens...

0 0 0