1. chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    The wife brought the Passat 3B6 1.9 back onto the drive tonight when I noticed an intermittent screeching/chattering noise. Stupidly I said drive it thinking that it was the dual mass flywheel on the way out. Ten mins later she called me to say the noise reappeared and that they noticed coolant loss when they got out of the car. Water poured out of the bottom of the engine when I tried to top it up. recovered the car with our little Polo 1.2. I Cant see it being anything other than failure of the water pump. Does this sound familiar, anyone?.

0 0 0

2. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    If it is the coolant pump leaking that much, stop running it!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Yes, the wife comes from a family of 'drivers' so she was quick to stop the car when she heard the noises. I will update tomorrow when I've pulled the cambelt cover.

0 0 0

4. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Here is the offending waterpump. Can anyone identify the make?. The only thing I can find on the body is the legend 'A193'. IMG_4054.jpgIMG_4055.jpgIMG_4056.jpgIMG_4056.jpg

0 0 0

5. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Brand X.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Yeh, you learn.. The previous owner said he entrusted all the work to a local engineering firm in Stratford On Avon who he trusted. They had done the cambelt the same time as a head gasket job but whether they touched the water pump we may never know. They used oe VW belt kit though.

The cambelt kit arrived from Euro Car Parts today only it says 'Ford Focus 1.6' (goddam ***** of an engine) on the side of the box. The guy at the end of the phone had the audacity to say that it was me who made the mistake despite their system which asks your reg number - oh, and it was their Ebay store if anyone gives a damn. I won't be using Euro Car parts ever again for anything as this is the 2nd time they've messed up with cambelts- last time I had to wait 7 weeks for it (Dayco) to be delivered.

0 0 0

7. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I simply cannot understand how Euro Car Parts keep going, they have no idea of what they are doing and are utterly dependent on the registration number of the car to provide you with parts, this is not accurate. I do buy from them as they have some useful accounts and good stock BUT I only buy when I can cross reference the OE part number to a trusted brand which I can then back check against the ECP listing.... and even then they screw it up around 25% of the time, utterly and completely hopeless company. “Any part for any car”..... yeh right!

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

8. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    They aren't the only idiots it seems. An indy Bristol motor parts trader who will remain nameless sent me a kit that he assured me was AWX compatible and is I believe incorrect as the tensioner and roller are both completely different in spec. Another week gone..

0 0 0

9. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    These type of companies rely far too much on the VRM look up tool, we use that to get the VIN and then use that in ETKA FI suggestion to get closer but even then you have to double check and use experience to get what you want but even then, we still make mistakes as ETKA can be wrong or the car have been messed with. I ordered an N75 valve from Euro at 11.45am yesterday which was shown as being in stock, at 11ish this morning I was beginning to wonder where is was as the car is supposed be going out (it just has done) but was then told it will be next week... no call, messages, info on the order page, nothing! I tried four other local companies including TPS and no stock so I have had to send it out under-boosting as I need my loan Polo shed back for Monday.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: chattering noise and fast loss of coolant 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Finally got the timing belt kit but oh what's this - the Dayco tensioner hasn't got a hole for inserting a pin - has anyone fitted a Dayco belt kit lately?. I've wasted an hour scratching my head and Dayco's You Tube is pathetic.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast