Notices

User Tag List

Thread: How long would it take for a garage to replace the gearbox.

1. Thumbs up How long would it take for a garage to replace the gearbox. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey everyone. I've had great support last time here from you, and what a chance to bother you again, now that my gearbox failed, at least that's what I think so.

Short: How long would it take to remove the gearbox and put it back, this repaired or another one, just so I have a time estimation when talking about cost with garages. Unfortunately I'm more afraid of a garage than the dentist.

Quick summary of the fault:
    • It won't shift into any gear except the fifth.
    • Took off the cable that connects gear shifter and gearbox, shifter moves freely, cables seem fine, the lever that sits on top of the gearbox moves to only one position which I guess is the fifth gear.
    • There used to be a certain bang/snap sound coming from the gear shifter every time the engine would start. No longer the case now.

Your ideas and thoughts are highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

0 0 0

2. Re: How long would it take for a garage to replace the gearbox. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    It depends on a few factors, which engine, how old, how many miles, do we change the clutch, is the used box a good unn? IF the car was “as new” and the replacement box absolutely correct, on a 2L TDI 8P you can change a box in three hours if you are young, have all the tools to hand, an instant assistant and are very good, excluding the alignment as often you have to drop the subframe plus remember there is a pile of new nuts and bolts. If the car is a shed, the clutch FUBAR and the new box a mess which needs adaption and messing around, you can be talking two days.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: How long would it take for a garage to replace the gearbox. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I was advised the DMF plate is cracked and the whole clutch DMF thing totally needs replacing. The gearbox is with a different garage to see why is it stuck, that's a separate cost.

Now question is how much can I sell it for without these being repaired? And where, ebay, gumtree, autotrader? Thanks. I was told a new clutch and DMF will be £700.

Sooner or later the cambelt, brake pads, tyres will need replacing, and most likely one of the injectors will fail as the VCDS readings don't look very good.

0 0 0

4. Re: How long would it take for a garage to replace the gearbox. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    They don’t need to embellish it with “cracked”, if the box is out and the DMF has quite a few clicks under its cover then you fit a new system, techs know you would be stupid to do otherwise unless unloading the car on some poor unsuspecting sod and you should not do that anyway. A new clutch/DMF set will cost you circa £1k fitted but what is wrong with the box itself is extra.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0