1. Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I have just been rescued by the AA due to my car dying. Total loss of power, no prior warning lights, and coasted to a standstill. Car wouldn’t even crank so assumed to be the cam belt. AA mechanic pulls off the cover and cambelt totally loose and the tensioner pulley facing upwards! Obviously the bolt has snapped, but this is only 10 weeks after having the full cambelt kit and waterpump replaced with a Gates kit. I have had the car towed to the garage that fitted it, and I will be there at opening time tomorrow morning.

So my question is what should I be asking them to repair/replace as part of my warranty? Should I be demanding a brand new kit, or will they only replace the tensioner bolt? Also what else is likely to have been damaged from the sudden failure...will valves/injectors be affected? I’m guessing that if the new bolt has failed, then the manufacturer (Gates) is liable for any replacement parts needed? To say I’m fuming is an understatement as I expect this to drag out for a few days and I’m meant to be going on holiday on Friday!!

0 0 0

2. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Have you got a Citizen's Advice near you? If not, a phone call to the nearest office? Would Trading Standards have any advice?

The garage might be helpful and admit liability, but it's probably best to go armed with a mixture of wise words and threats.

Good luck, whatever happens!
    2006 (Dec.) B6 2.0TDi 140 Confort | Moka anthracite nacré | CControl | Highline MFD | Chrome Grill | Meta Targa rear parking sensors | Debadged
    1996 Laguna 2.2D
    1977 MGB roadster

0 0 0

3. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You need to know if the Gates kit used included a tensioner stud. If it did, the usual cause of snapping is normally incorrect installation and you will have to get Gates involved for their opinion. There are two designs of stud, M8 and M8/M10. If the stud has not been replaced and has simply snapped, it is not their fault as there is no specification that it should be BUT it is a very well known issue and to not add the stud if it is not included could be looked at as negligent. This is why we will only fit a genuine kit and pump plus add the stud if it is missing, plus we restore the thread with a Time Sert if it is suspect. The reason for this is IN THEORY doing this gives us a 2 year parts and labour plus consequently damage covered at the appropriate VAG dealer. I have not been able to prove this as it has never happened to us and I do know Gates will get involved if asked. The likelihood is the valves will have hit the pistons which damages the valve gear and often bends a rod or two, certainly the head will have to come off the inspect the pistons, valves and measure the rod protrusion. I do know people have rebuilt with a new stud and got away with it and some that haven’t.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I have taken photos and it appears that the bolt was replaced - it certainly looks new. it has completely sheared off, but what concerns me is that the bolt is not concentric to the wear marks where the tensioner appears to have been rubbing. I will post pics if I figure out how...

0 0 0

5. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Use Flickr or email them to me, I will Pm you my email. Can I also have the cars REG number.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Email sent.

0 0 0

7. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Damn good pictures, they show a characteristic clockwise turn and pull shear from over torque of the tensioner nut, causing failure, the Gates rep will simply say improper tightening technique. The likely reason is putting on the yield torque too early, finding the alignment is out, correcting it and not having a new stud to replace it with without making a parts run.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    This is why my Passat will be going to Crasher in the Autumn for it's cam belt change. Even if he doesn't know it yet

This might help:

Consumer Protection Act 1987

Good luck.

Andy

0 2 0

9. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I suspected as much. I just hope it all gets sorted without too much hassle (fingers crossed).

0 0 0

10. Re: Advice on my rights!! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If they get away with just a new stud they will be VERY lucky. If the head does not come off and they say it is OK with just rebuilding it with a new stud, you need some sort of assurance over potential future problems caused by the likely valve to piston impact such as a bent rod or valve issue. You don't want to develop an idle issue in a few months and have them wash their hands of it.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast