Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Multitronic Oil Change - More fluid out than in?

1. Multitronic Oil Change - More fluid out than in? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2003 Audi A6 1.9 TDI with 260K

Ok I've always got the Audi main dealer to do previous gearbox oil changes, but decided to do this one myself.

Before I drained the oil I ran the gearbox oil to about 80Deg C and then dropped the inspection plug (expecting a few ml to come out due to thermal expansion) but about 700 ml came out????

I followed the instructions for refilling all went fine but in total about 700ml more came out than went in? Ive tried topping up twice with the car level and oil at 35deg C etc due to make sure the pump is primed but its still about 500 ml short of what came out??

I can only assume it was overfilled by Audi at the last change - unless the oil expands over time?

Thoughts - Have I missed something - the car drives fine?

0 0 0

2. Re: Multitronic Oil Change - More fluid out than in? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    The oil is synthetic and expands considerably with temperature which is why the 30 to 40 degree window is so important. We always level set at 30 so you doing it at 35 and basing your measuring on an 80 degree drain would easily account for the difference.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Multitronic Oil Change - More fluid out than in? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks Crasher, is it worth me topping up using 30deg as I have some spare fluid?

0 0 0

4. Re: Multitronic Oil Change - More fluid out than in? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    I would just do a 30 level plug drop, if little comes out, add some, let it drain and seal. You can’t be too obsessive or you will end up bent, burnt out and destroyed like me.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Multitronic Oil Change - More fluid out than in? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi - I know this thread is two years old but I'm curious to know whether you resolved the CVT fluid level issue? I have been working on my multitronic and around 700ml less went back in after replacing TCU.
    Regards..

0 0 0