1. Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    A few years ago whilst sitting in the office security came to me and asked if I owned a black Golf reg ??56 ??? yes I said well he said there's smoke coming from under the bonnet. On inspection I found that mice had been setting up home in the under bonnet blanket and fibres had dropped down the back of the engine on the manifold and had been smoldering away for about an hour causing damage to a wiring loom which ran across the top of the rear bulkhead under the apron (?? the bit where the wipers sit). I had it checked out by a local garage and part of the wiring was replaced (don't know what though). Recently I have started to have a few problems with the EML & Glowplug lights coming on and I've been getting the following errors.

Engine:
    P3138 - Intake Manifold Runner Control, Regulation Deviation
    P1267 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 3 (N242), Regulation Range Exceeded
    P1270 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 4 (N243), Regulation Range Exceeded
    P1264 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 2 (N241), Regulation Range Exceeded
    Airbags:
    00532 - Supply Voltage B+

I replaced the fuel filter and when I took it out for a test the airbag light came on with the same error as above. I've been reading up on the errors and there are some views that it could be electrical rather than mechanical.

I'm now starting to think that maybe some of the wiring in that loom is becoming a bit iffy especially with the airbag errors, so was wondering what would be the best approach either replacing the loom - how easy would this be or looking at cutting out the damaged section and reconnecting the wires. Would appreciate any of your views on this and possible suggestions on how to repair/replace the loom. Of course the loom may be OK and it is something else causing the problems, again suggestions welcome.
    0 0 0

2. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I can’t see any of the codes being rodent nibbling induced, your car has the BMN engine and is so notorious for this exact injector fault code issue that it is probably telling the truth in that you need three maybe four new injectors, i.e. go to the scrap yard, do not pass go and you may get £200.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for that Crasher I'll have to ask my son to keep a look out as he scraps the cars that come into the local scrap yard Can I use injectors from any diesel Golf or are they engine specific?
    0 0 0

4. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The 170 PDTDI injectors are VERY specific, they are the piezo versions they were the subject of a recall many years ago as they were stopping the car dead in their tracks. They were used in transverse BMN, BMR, BUZ and BUY engines and the longitudinal BVD and BRD
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Very many thanks for that info Crasher, I'm assuming that the same engine will be used in Audi, Skoda, Seat as well as VW so will ask my son to keep a look out for them.
    0 0 0

6. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    They appear in all the four main brands

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

7. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Well, I’ve still got problems After a while starting took a hit and I would have to crank it for quite some time before it would start. I had a diagnosis run on it and it was showing that the injector loom was giving problems. So I’ve just replaced the loom with a new one and I still can’t get it to start. While installing the loom I checked the glow plugs with a DVM and they all seemed to be OK but seeing as the diagnosis was indicating that there were open and short circuits in the loom I was wondering if a fuse could have gone but can’t seem to find one. Next check will be to see if any voltage is getting to the GP’s, any suggestions on how I can best check it out without taking the cam cover off or if anyone can tell me where the fuse is?
    0 0 0

8. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    But you have already had the cam cover off?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yes I've had the camcover off to replace the injector loom and as I've said I metered out the glow plugs and they seemed to be OK. I was looking for a way to further test the glow plugs that didn't involve taking the camcover off again. However, I've been having some thoughts and I remembered that I started having starting problems the day after the engineer I was discussing the problems with separated the wires to what I now know as the turbo actuator as they had been damaged when I had the sound insulation smoldering and the electrical connector is also damaged, so I've bought a new one to replace it. Tell me, if the turbo isn't working properly would it cause starting problems, like I have to turn the key 3 or 4 times before the engine would start rather than just the once, in fact I haven't managed to start it since changing the loom.
    0 0 0

10. Re: Golf Mk5 GT TDi 170 Damaged wiring loom 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    What fault codes are you getting now? Could you post an injector deviation graph picture with a time base of about a minute?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0