1. Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've only had my 2004 A4 1.9 TDi 130 Multitronic Avant for a week or two so still learning about it.

My car has a very slight bump that only presents itself as it comes to a complete halt. No noise or drama and not really a judder as is often mentioned in other posts. I've never had a CVT before so still trying to get my head round it.

The car pulls away no problem and changes up and down the gears seamlessly. Stopping in reverse is fine and stopping in neutral is good too. It's just coming to a halt in Drive that has this slight 'bump'. Is it normal or is my transmission trying to tell me something?

The car's on 135K miles but I have no service history whatsoever so no idea if and when the gearbox ever had a fluid service.

0 0 0

2. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I tested it in Sport and 'Tiptronic' modes this morning and it still has the little bump when coming to a halt. Do these CVT gearboxes go into neutral when you come to a halt rather than 1st gear in a normal auto 'box?

0 0 0

3. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    What is the CVT fluid change history? Does the gear position indicator flash? At that mileage it may need a new clutch pack especially if it is still the 6 plate version.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've got literally no history with the car. If I ring my local dealer will they be able to tell me what work Audi has done on the car over the years.

The gearbox position indicator works fine, no flashing or anything.

In every respect the gearbox works lovely apart from this little bump/judder as you come to a complete halt. I'm guessing a new 7-plate clutch pack is going to cost a serious bit of wedge.

0 0 0

5. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    There are two ways of doing the job, rebuild the input shaft with new clutch packs which are not that daft money wise at £400 for all the parts required (not including the software update that must be done) but it is the time and skill it takes to rebuild the input shaft assembly or do you fit an exchange input shaft assembly which is easy to do but costs £2500?

As far as getting previous owners work info, until all this GDPR silliness that a few shouting heads wanted, they would tell you and even give full print outs but now they won't even admit the car exists... My vets suddenly won't even share the time of day we me beacsue when we first registered a cat there 30 years ago, it was in my wife's name and always has been, so she had to sign a consent for for me so I could get Sprocket his tablets!

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

6. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There are two ways of doing the job, rebuild the input shaft with new clutch packs which are not that daft money wise at £400 for all the parts required (not including the software update that must be done) but it is the time and skill it takes to rebuild the input shaft assembly or do you fit an exchange input shaft assembly which is easy to do but costs £2500?
    Just my luck to buy yet another car with 'issues'. My missus will put me in the doghouse for the foreseeable future now.

Right now I don't have the money to get any repair done but will have to budget for it if it's feasible at a later date. I need to go down the cheapest route possible as the car's only worth about £1500. Are there any independent companies you can recommend to do the necessary work. I'm keen to dodge the Audi dealerships and their horrendous bills where possible. Are Indie-Tech UK in Milton Keynes any good?

Also, has anyone done an auto to manual conversion? You'd think it would be a popular swap for people with shot CVT transmissions but good engines.

As far as getting previous owners work info, until all this GDPR silliness that a few shouting heads wanted, they would tell you and even give full print outs but now they won't even admit the car exists... My vets suddenly won't even share the time of day we me beacsue when we first registered a cat there 30 years ago, it was in my wife's name and always has been, so she had to sign a consent for for me so I could get Sprocket his tablets!
    Yes, GDPR is a pain in the butt. You can no longer request details of previous owners from the DVLA unless you have a very legitimate reason. I had hoped to contact the Audi's previous owners to see if they could fill in the blanks of my car's history.

PS ... I had a Sprocket too, though he was spelled Sprokkit. A lovely cat with a great personality.

0 0 0

7. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    We send our CVT box issues to a local company, a lot of gearbox people deal with the CVT now but there is no way I can see change out of £2.5k, one thing though, it is not a good idea to fix a car based on its second hand value, running a car like that will only end up one way. You have to maintain them consummate with their new car position.

I love black cats, I had one called Schwartz many years ago, he left with a previous Miss Crasher....

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    We send our CVT box issues to a local company, a lot of gearbox people deal with the CVT now but there is no way I can see change out of £2.5k, one thing though, it is not a good idea to fix a car based on its second hand value, running a car like that will only end up one way. You have to maintain them consummate with their new car position.

I love black cats, I had one called Schwartz many years ago, he left with a previous Miss Crasher....
    I can't justify spending £2.5k on a gearbox repair, not on a car with no service history. If it was a minter with lots of paperwork I might consider it. I think I'll just run this car until the 'box gets bad, save my pennies in the meantime and buy a manual A4 Avant to replace it. I'd rather spend £2.5K on my old eighties Honda, that at least has rarity on its side.

In the meantime, do you think a gearbox fluid change would do it some good, keep terminal failure at bay a little longer?

I have a weakness for mackerel tabbies. Had two and both were fantastic little characters.

0 0 0

9. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1841 Post(s)
    It may help, if done badly it could hurt.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Transmission 'Bump' When Coming to a Halt 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Catch-22 then.