1. Instrument cluster error problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My 2015 2L diesel FR is showing "Instrument cluster error, workshop". This also happened in 2016 when the dealer said they replaced the cluster on warranty. Now they want £900 to replace it, but it has no loss of function other than the word "error" where the trip mileage should be showing. The dealer says I should not drive the car, but I can't see what harm it will do even if the error gets worse, other than losing instrument functions or having problems with the immobilisor.

When the cluster was apparently changed in 2016, the mileage remained correct. Can a dealer correct the mileage and should I have been given a service record of this?

Is it damaging to continue using the car?

Has anyone else had this problem or know anything about it?

0 0 0

2. Re: Instrument cluster error problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Apart from the possibility of the immobiliser preventing you from starting the car I cannot see any issue with driving it. A new clock set can have its mileage easily changed using the dealer system ODIS or other systems up to 100km, i.e. 62 miles, after that it can only be done by more nefarious means. The coding of the cluster to the car is a very frustrating process if it is not carried out using ODIS which basically says plug it in and I will do the rest.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Instrument cluster error problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher, the web is very quiet about this problem but I surely I can't be the only one, since it recurred within three years.

If anyone else sees the message "Instrument Cluster Error" I would tell them not to get the car diagnosed by a dealer (costing £80) since the software only advises replacement and it apparently cannot reset anything.

As an electrical motion control engineer, I understand a bit about CAN bus. The diagnostic error (shown below) cannot be permanent or parts of the instrumention would stop working. CAN easily detects and rejects messages corrupted by noise then automatically resends them.

10485826 - Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error
    B2000 41 [009] - General checksum failure
    [Steuergerät defekt (CRC Check ROM)]

The fact that I have an indicated error when there is no apparent fault is very frustrating (and expensive).

0 0 0

4. Re: Instrument cluster error problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    That is a software error, we see the same problem on the 1.8T AUM/AUQ engine when remapped and it re-occurs about every 3 years. I have had my 2003 Octavia VRS for 13 years and have had to reflash the engine ECU four times now.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Instrument cluster error problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm sure you are right but the local dealer only repeats "computer says broke". Seat customer services have offered to pay half the replacement cost of about £900 but won't acknowledge the problem because there is no related recall notice.

0 0 0