1. Golf MK5 GT TDI 2.0L 57 Plate - Gear Box Noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have spoke to a few people about this problem, and they seem to be mentioning a possible thrust bearing noise.

I also took it for an MOT and they said its definitely coming from the gearbox, and advised I looked for a second hand gearbox and replace it.

After some experimenting, I found that when the car is idle (ticking over in no gear), its terribly grindy/noisy, but if you press the clutch pedal in, the noises go away, which possibly indicates that there is not an issue with the gearbox?

Basically, I was hoping someone may have experienced the same problem and knows exactly what it is so I know what needs replacing?

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf MK5 GT TDI 2.0L 57 Plate - Gear Box Noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Ive seen the same as what you have with a 5 speed which had a cheap single mass conversion fitted. Its more likely to be a failing clutch than a failing gearbox.....

Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing.

To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.
    A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

Always make sure that all other components are in good condition. Check the clutch linkage for binding or mis-adjustments. Check clutch pedal free play and pedal reserve for proper setting. Check the clutch fork and input shafts for proper alignment.

Copied from -- https://www.knowyourparts.com/technical-resources/drive-train/diagnosing-clutch-bearing-bushing-noise/

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf MK5 GT TDI 2.0L 57 Plate - Gear Box Noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    The clutch mechanism is completely buried inside the gearbox using a hydraulically operated concentric release bearing and is totally inaccessible until the gearbox is removed.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Golf MK5 GT TDI 2.0L 57 Plate - Gear Box Noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for your responses, I would of acted sooner but didn't get the email notifications!

I have done what Jon44w said to do and in both cases the noises are only when the clutch is engaged.

I tried disengaging the clutch with it in gear and neutral and there was no noise.

If it is the "transmission input shaft bearing" could I have damaged my gearbox, or shortened its life?

One think I did notice is that the noise from outside the car is somewhat a bell like clanging sound, which I do believe is the clutch?

0 0 0

5. Re: Golf MK5 GT TDI 2.0L 57 Plate - Gear Box Noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Id be almost sure its the clutch and youll need a new DMF. Have you had the car long? It sounds similar to one I seen that just had a single mass flywheel conversion (cheaper version) instead of a proper Dual Mass version.

0 0 0

6. Re: Golf MK5 GT TDI 2.0L 57 Plate - Gear Box Noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Ah okay thanks, I at least have more information I can pass on to the bloke who will be doing the job, and I don't need to buy another gearbox by the look of it.

I've had it just over a year now, so I don't think its the one you mentioned.

0 0 0