Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Power to instrument cluster - sticky relay?

1. Power to instrument cluster - sticky relay? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Morning Gents, 2003 2.5tdi quattro avant. I'm looking for a little help identifying where to find the relay(s) which powers the instrument cluster. A couple of weeks ago I turned the ignition key and it took a couple of seconds before the instrument cluster display lit up and I could start the car. I also thought there was a delayed relay click when it came to life, so I thought "sticky relay" and of course did nothing about it.

Yesterday, the car unusually not having been started for a week, I turned the key and nothing. Heater lights etc. all active but no life from the cluster. I was able to crank and fire but the (lack of) immobiliser output (which lives in the cluster) then killed it after a second or two. I tried a few more times but nothing, gave up and decided to look this morning. Did some googling, went out tried again, and all is fine - hooray! However, I'm now sure I have a dodgy relay (or intermittent fuse) and don't want to be stuck somewhere next time.

From what I've been able to google, there seem to be various relays dotted all around the car, but I've yet to find one called "instrument cluster power" or similar. Something I saw pointed to the cluster being powered directly by the ECU, in which case it would be the ECU relay I need.

Fault codes are 18058 - missing comms from cluster (check fuses and connectors etc.), and 17978 - engine immobilised (check ECU relay etc.)

Does anyone know which relays need to pull in to power the cluster, and where to find them please? Or any other insight into my symptoms?

Many thanks, Shep
    Last edited by andrew shepherd; 17-06-2019 at 02:32 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Power to instrument cluster - sticky relay? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone?

0 0 0

3. Re: Power to instrument cluster - sticky relay? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So I found relay 219 inside the ECU box, Which apparently powers the ECU and maybe some other stuff like the cooling fan (and possibly the cluster via the ECU?). Anyway it looks fine, I reseated it but will buy a spare anyway 'cos it's cheap compared to breaking down somewhere. I'd still like to know if there are any other relays providing the power to the cluster, if anyone has experience, or even a schematic? Cheers, S

0 0 0

4. Re: Power to instrument cluster - sticky relay? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bump

0 0 0

5. Re: Power to instrument cluster - sticky relay? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Doh, ok one more try ! Granted it's not the most glamorous topic (there was a lot more interest when I blew up the engine ); but if anyone does know if there's an instrument cluster power relay lurking somewhere I'd appreciate knowing, and so might others in the future. Thanks, Shep

0 0 0