Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car

1. Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    I noticed for the last couple of months a knocking noise that appears to be coming from the drivers side front right wheel. The knocking seems to occur at slow speeds going over bumps.

I lifted the front of the car and took a look. The following are some photos I took of the suspension struts and other areas.

From the images, it looks like the rubber on the suspension bushings looks cracked. Would that be correct? Do they typically all get replaced on that side at once?
    Also, more obviously, the rubber CV boot is split and has flung grease everywhere. I suspect that this is not related to the knocking. I will look into buying a new boot and clips to get this replaced. It is great that I could have discovered this before the joint began to wear.

0 0 0

2. Re: Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    The inner bushes are a little degraded but have a some life left. The worst part of the job on the 8K is getting that long bolt out of the top of the carrier, it is nearly always rusted solid, there is no special tool for removing it as there was with the 8D and 8K and you cannot use direct heat on the ally or else it is at severe risk of cracking when the new bolt is tightened and at £650 a side in parts that hurts

The only way to get them out is with an induction heater, shown on a Passat rear below

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Have you had a look at the caliper l had a similar noise in my a4 and noticed the 2 bolts holding caliper on were loose tightened them up no problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 0 0

4. Re: Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I also meant to say that the lower leading ball joint of the 8K is prone to failure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonj1965 View Post
    Have you had a look at the caliper l had a similar noise in my a4 and noticed the 2 bolts holding caliper on were loose tightened them up no problem
    That is actually a very good point. I've replaced, removed and cleaned that caliper twice in the past due to it seizing so it could very well have come loose. I will check that out. I will also out the CV boots on the other corners of the car while I am at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    The inner bushes are a little degraded but have a some life left. The worst part of the job on the 8K is getting that long bolt out of the top of the carrier, it is nearly always rusted solid, there is no special tool for removing it as there was with the 8D and 8K and you cannot use direct heat on the ally or else it is at severe risk of cracking when the new bolt is tightened and at £650 a side in parts that hurts
    Thanks for the diagnosis on the inner bushes. I will leave them as is but keep an eye on them.

I will jack the car and try manually lifting the wheel by hand to see if there is any play in the top two ball joints in the top of the carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I also meant to say that the lower leading ball joint of the 8K is prone to failure.
    Cheers for that tip, I will test it out using this guide here: How To Check Lower Ball Joints - EASY!!! - YouTube

0 0 0

6. Re: Help with diagnosing knocking coming from front left drivers side of car 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Unfortunately the 8K forward lower ball joint is quite difficult to tease the wear out of compared to a conventional design due to the spring pushing down on it, they can also be a complete sketch to get out of the ally the hub casting

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0