1. Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Purchased my Passat in Sept 16 on PCP over 4 years and negotiated 2 free services. I am on fixed service type.

These were done in July 17 and July 18 at circa 10k and 20k miles. The first was marked as an oil change service and the second was marked as an inspection service. The only additional work that the inspection service included over the oil change was dust and pollen filter insert.

I must now book and pay for 3rd service and this is where I am confused! The VW handbook says the inspection service is at 20k and then every 20k or 12 months, so this means if I only do 10k per year I will always have the inspection service?

Okay, I am with that so far. However, my main dealer will sell me another 2 year plan that includes a minor service and a major service. But the minor service is only the oil change service and not the inspection service. So it is all contradicting itself!

What intervals are the diesel fuel filter and air filter changed?

Many thanks.

0 0 0

2. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    What is required is specified on the service sheet they generate on the system at the time of the work so the info in the book varies and yes, it is confusing so we just do an oil change service every 10K/365 and a full seeing to every 20K/730. The new electric system on Audi's now for a few years and 2017 for VW and coming in for the other brands has made it easier as if correctly filled in you can see what was done last time and follow the pattern laid out but few indi's are doing this yet.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    What is required is specified on the service sheet they generate on the system at the time of the work so the info in the book varies and yes, it is confusing so we just do an oil change service every 10K/365 and a full seeing to every 20K/730. The new electric system on Audi's now for a few years and 2017 for VW and coming in for the other brands has made it easier as if correctly filled in you can see what was done last time and follow the pattern laid out but few indi's are doing this yet.
    So that means you don't know what work will be done, or the cost, until after they have started?

0 0 0

4. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have had a think, what am I trying to say? A full service history by a main dealer is revered as a buying/selling point. How do I put this.... OK forty years do this has shown me that, in general, an FSH is utter ********.... You can have an FSH that looks convincing but what you don’t know is barely anything was done as all that is important is the owner buys another new car and see’s the last one “cost nothing to run”, comforting for them but the second and third owner pays the cost. Even worse are services that are a “deal”, their ain’t nothing such as a free lunch, we call such services a “splash and dash” and done at minimum cost to the dealer. A car is an incredibly complex mix of 150 year old technology mixed with that which is upto date and needs looking after.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I have had a think, what am I trying to say? A full service history by a main dealer is revered as a buying/selling point. How do I put this.... OK forty years do this has shown me that, in general, an FSH is utter ********.... You can have an FSH that looks convincing but what you don’t know is barely anything was done as all that is important is the owner buys another new car and see’s the last one “cost nothing to run”, comforting for them but the second and third owner pays the cost. Even worse are services that are a “deal”, their ain’t nothing such as a free lunch, we call such services a “splash and dash” and done at minimum cost to the dealer. A car is an incredibly complex mix of 150 year old technology mixed with that which is upto date and needs looking after.
    I appreciate your comments and maybe you are analysing my question too deeply?

I guess I am asking what are the mileage at which filters should be replaced and is the major service the same as the inspection service, or do they differ.

I am not worried about service history and what is shown in service book. In the short term I am concerned that VW info is hazy and I just want to understand what should need doing before I purchase it.

0 0 0

6. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I have a tendency towards thinking too much that long after Vodka o'clock... The times and distances for everything are worked out for us by the system such as on this 2017 Q3 sheets below which is having its first service. If it was an older car and owned rather than on a PCP or such I would go further but with 15K on it we just follow the regime and save it to the on line service record.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    The answer is here;

Fixed Price Car Servicing | Volkswagen UK

in simple terms every 10k/ 12 months its an oil and filter change and a quick visual check of key components, the major service adds in air filter, fuel filter (diesel), spark plugs (petrol), wheel removal and more in-depth checks.
    2015 Passat B8 2.0TDi 150 GT Estate in Deep Black
    2005 A2 1.4TDi 75 SE in Silver

0 0 0

8. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bullitt View Post
    The answer is here;

Fixed Price Car Servicing | Volkswagen UK

in simple terms every 10k/ 12 months its an oil and filter change and a quick visual check of key components, the major service adds in air filter, fuel filter (diesel), spark plugs (petrol), wheel removal and more in-depth checks.

But my 20K service was an "inspection service" and didn't include any filters. Everything contradicts each bit of information! VW tell me at 20K no filters are due.

0 0 0

9. Re: Confused by service regime 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I think this is because they don’t perceive it needs doing when the car is only 2 years old, but when you get past the second service you are onto the two services they offer which alternate major/ minor etc. This way they can offer a cheap ‘service package’ for PCP owners.

We tow a caravan but if I didn’t then out of warranty I’d just do a minor/minor/major then repeat as we do 12kpa - my A2 is actually 3 minors followed by a major (it does 9kpa) as all the filters need doing every 40k - it still has a FASH and this year I have a major service and cambelt due...ouch, if I see any change from £1100 I’ll be delighted!
    2015 Passat B8 2.0TDi 150 GT Estate in Deep Black
    2005 A2 1.4TDi 75 SE in Silver

0 0 0