Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all
    Been offered a lovely A6 Le Mans 3.0Tdi Tip Auto and just wanted to ask the experts about what to look out for. It's on 160K which i'm already a bit sceptical about.
    I've had no experience with this engine at all.
    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated
    TIA
    Ben
    You don't know how it works until you take it apart!

0 0 0

2. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Start it from overnight cold and listen to the cam chains, anything more than a little clatter for a second or so is a worry but the best check is after and oil/filter change.... I have seen many of my techs go white in the face when starting these up, brown trousers time.

when hot, leave it idling for ten minutes and see if a nasty smelling white vapour starts to emanate from the tail pipes.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Crasher, I can imagine the look on someone's face after timing up one of these 😂. Okay will do.
    What's with the white vapour?
    Cheers 👍

0 0 0

4. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Injector wear
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ok ta. Is this a similar set up to the AFB?
    Seen some horrific goings on with them 😬

0 0 0

6. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Got my a6 last march, it has the rattle on startup but its not got worse than it s last year so i think its normal, but i did get the white smoke out of the exhaust, sitting with engine at full temp for about 10 mins and it starts. It was the injectors, had to replace them all, approx £1200 give our take 100

0 0 0

7. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    what year / engine - early ones are more susceptible to chain injector wear. IMHO the LE Mans is over rated when i was looking the le man edition i looked at was the most basic out of the 6 or so i seen.
    it will be due the swirl flaps - linkage update, £10 from audi - sorted mine out.

enjoy
    Stewart
    2012 Q5 2.0D quattro S line Plus
    1986 coupe quattro (kv)
    1972 mini 1400 100BHP A series
    2016 F-Pace Portfolio X761 2.0D 180HP

0 0 0

8. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acmo View Post
    Ok ta. Is this a similar set up to the AFB? Seen some horrific goings on with them 😬
    Anything with a chain will wear unless an additive is added to try and replace the metal anti wear additives that used to be in oil, also if VAG would stop using a Hy Vo style chain and go back to (the admittedly noiser) roller design, that would drastically reduce the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by acmo View Post
    Ok ta. Is this a similar set up to the AFB? Seen some horrific goings on with them 
    Sorry, missed this, not different design.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

9. Re: 3.0 Tdi - Looking to purchase 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Got mine last year with 80k on it (A6 Quattro 3.0tdi) and so far this past year I had to replace all 6 injectors (white smoke after 10 mins) £1250 for injectors + £200 to replace, new heater matrix (when using heat smelled like an indian takeaway) due to leaking matrix £600, last moth had to replace the Turbo actuator another £600, and last week had massive EGR block, so went for EGR blank and a stage 1 remap at just under £400 all together..

Seems like lots, all told maybe £3500 spent, but I am now on 134k miles, and the car still drives great, pulls fantastic (now with stage 1) and is still a pleasure to drive. Though at some stage I will need to get rid of it for an estate, I am clinging on for the next year or so. Got to say the stage 1, I thought it might make it a little better but its a huge difference in smooth, and fast.

I have the chain rattle on startup from cold, lasts less than a couple of seconds, and has been the same since I got the car, if I had a spare 2k Id get it all done but I simply dont, and my wife wont let me.

0 0 0