Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Ok, apologies in advance for the long thread, but I think I need to give the full picture so everyone has complete understanding of my situation and any help anyone can subsequently provide is gratefully received I assure you.

I have a 2006 B6 2.0 TDi Passat Sport Estate with the BKP engine. The actual issue I'm posting about is an Over/under boost and injector issue. I've read through a lot of threads on this, in particular the one about the "recall" (Service Measure 23h9) for the piezo injectors. VW Parkway in Derby and subsequently VW Customer Care insist that my vehicle is not on the database list for this recall. I find this VERY surprising as it appears to fit all criteria.

3 times now I have had the coil light flashing and the "Engine Fault - Garage" message on the dash and the accompanying 'limp mode'. On Each occasion this has been rectified by switching the car off and back on. As other folk have experienced, the car struggles performance wise. Mainly in 4th Gear at around 1900-2100rpm but also just generally it has to be in a lower gear than usual and doesn't have the some pull/performance.

Where I work we have our own garage to maintain our lorry fleet. They have a TEXA computer and so I've been able to utilise use of that on a couple of occasions. The first time the car went into Limp mode, the error code stated underboost. However, like a fool, I didn't take the actual wording nor the error codes. Idiot, I know. I'm pretty sure it said "Underboost STO" though. Conversely, the last time it happened, I had several error codes, one of which was Overboost. All five codes I had last time the car went into Limp mode were:

1. 16618/P0234/000564 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Limit Exceeded (Overboost Condition)
    2. 17668/P1260/004704 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 1 (N240): Implausible Signal
    3. 17672/P1264/004708 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 2 (N241): Regulation Range Exceeded
    4. 17669/P1261/004705 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 1 (N240): Regulation Range Exceeded
    5. 17678/P1270/004720 - PD Unit Injector: Cylinder 4 (N243): Regulation Range Exceeded

I realise this looks like an injector issue and I'm currently having the wrangle with VW UK about trying to get them replaced on the service measure. However, due to the indication of potential electrical issues, I think it's worth me explaining the complete picture with this vehicle.

I hit the back of someone with the car earlier this year. Not hard and not fast, no airbags or anything. The upshot of this was that 'cos it needed a new front bumper, grille, bonnet etc and the insurance have to replace with all VW parts and the car is so old etc, It was written off as a CAT N (Non-structural) as it was uneconomical to repair. I bought it back off the imsurance as the only thing it really needed was the front bumper/grille. I bought a complete front bumper/grille unit from a scrapper on ebay. However, they'd sliced the wiring loom within the front bumper instead of just uncoupling it. So I got another wiring loom from another scrapper and put this in the front bumper and fit the part. However, the new wiring loom has sockets for front fog lights. My vehicle doesn't have them. So every time I switch the car on, I get "Front right fog light defective" and "Front left fog light defective". Obviously the loom looks for them and doesn't find them.
    Also, whilst the car was sat on my drive awaiting the front bumper to be fitted, the drivers side rear caliper seized meaning I couldn't move the car. I borrowed the TEXA from work to see if I could get the caliper to release, but it wouldn't. I ended up having to get it recovered to a garage (recovery also tried a computer to release the caliper without success) who replaced my EPB button and the caliper. However, despite the EPB system all working fine now in seemingly every way, the Yellow Parking brake light with the diagonal line through it still comes on the dashboard every time and says "Parking brake fault" etc. So that's odd.
    Also, my rear parking sensor doesn't work probably anymore. When I go into reverse, I hear the "Beep" to show it's 'on' but then it hardly ever beeps when I'm near anything, if at all.
    One last thing to mention is that the airbag fault light also randomly come on the dash (before all the performance/boost/injector problems occurred). The TEXA reading shows this as being in the drivers side A-line part.
    So I just wondered if the car had some overall electrical fault somehow because of all these things occurring following the new front bumper wiring loom and subsequent Caliper issue? Obviously now I have the rear parking sensor, Airbag & injector "electrical" issues. I don't know, probably all just coincidence but I thought it best that everyone had full knowledge of what's happened to make informed judgement. If these issues are just coincidental and separate from each other, then the airbag I'm sure I can sort, the rear parking I can live without for a while, the parking light on the dash doesn't bother me as the system works, the front fog lights is just a message because they don't exist so it's just the error codes above I would like help with. I guess I'm kinda hoping it is all one big electrical problem though and one thing fixes it all hahaha.

Again, sorry for the big post, hope you understand why I felt the need to explain all. I thank everyone in advance for their input. Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just to also add that I had a fuel leak that was going right underneath the car down the passenger side. This was because the Fuel sender/pump was attached/sealed properly. I had that reworked and resealed last week and had hoped that might solve the performance issues but this is not the case. Might not be relevant, but I gave you all that bumf ^^^^ so I thought I may as well give you the complete story!
    Passat B6 2006 140BHP 2.0TDI Sport Estate (BKP Engine)

0 0 0

3. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Classic BKP senario, needs four injectors and a turbo rebuild, proper injectors that you KNOW are going to work and not cause problems are £463 each so with labour that is around £3200, not worth it.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Classic BKP senario, needs four injectors and a turbo rebuild, proper injectors that you KNOW are going to work and not cause problems are £463 each so with labour that is around £3200, not worth it.
    Holy shooot!! Definitely not worth. FML! So all the things stated are just concidental and independant of each other then Crasher?

Just out of curiousity, do you agree that it seems to fit the 23h9 job?

Thanks for your help.

0 0 0

5. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    23H9, the VW "campaign" has been removed from the system, which is odd, but the Skoda (23J7), Seat 23J6) and Audi (23K1) versions are still listed. 23H9 linked to TPI 2015883/22 where you would see various injector electrical fault codes such a P1040 Injector group A supply voltage error in circuit and to check the injector part number which you should but (see pic) but your issue corresponds to TPI 2012633/7. Did you replace the injector loom with a new one?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    No Crasher, I've not replaced the injector loom. The only loom I've repleced is the one in the front bumper for the lights, as mentioned in my first post. What's this you speak of?

0 0 0

7. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    The one for the injectors inside the cam cover, the head, you know, the exact place you would not think of to put a wiring loom if you had any amount of sense....

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Right, now I'm really confused. So there's a TPI to replace the injectors and wiring loom, then there's a different TPI to just replace the wiring loom?

All my error codes started with "Short circuit to Positive" before stating the rest of the error, so is it possible it's just the loom causing me issues?

0 0 0

9. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: Over/Under Boost, Injector & Electrical issue. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Thanks again Crasher. Do you think this could fix my issue or do you stand by your original statement of 4 new injectors and turbo rebuild?

Also, with this TPI's. Are they just ways to fix things or are they Service measure and/or recalls that the dealerships will carry out FOC?
    Lastly, I still don't get why my car isn't on the list for 23h9 - it just seems to fit the criteria?

Thanks again for all your help.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast