Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey all,

A quick question, the Haynes Manual suggests using G12 which isn't sold anymore. I've gone onto Halfords and they suggest using the G40 which is blue, not pink.

Comma G40 Antifreeze and Coolant RM...

My car is 2004, 2L FSI which currently has the pink coolant. Is the Halfords G40 the right coolant even though it's blue?

Also I need to buy a new reservoir and the coolant return hose as they have corroded and each of them are broken. Am I corrected in thinking that is the name of the hose or is it called something else? It's the hose in the red circle below.

20190525_133732.jpg

Thank you.

0 0 0

2. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    TPS will have both. Give em a bell with your reg

0 0 0

3. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Prior to G12, the standard VAG antifreeze was G11, which is blue, and has not been generally available for some years. The last time I managed to buy it for my van was 2014, when I found some in Germany. I have now changed it over to G13.

If your coolant is pink it is probably G12, G12 Plus, G12 Plus Plus, or G13, which are successive replacements for G11, and only miscible with each other.

None of these replacements may be mixed with G12, and the system has to be flushed thoroughly with clean water before they can be used.

Unless Halfords will give you a written guarantee that their G40 is miscible with VAG G11, I would recommend you flush the cooling system and use G13 from a VAG dealer.

My Audi has G13, and I also use it for our Alfas, so we have the same antifreeze in all the vehicles.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

4. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    It is G13 now which is purple.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    My A3 was pink, now purple but wasn’t flushed.... Hope pink and purple mix ok as it looks red now

0 0 0

6. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    It is G13 now which is purple.
    I'd say mauve myself

Whether the concentrate is considered to be purple, mauve, or pink, when diluted it's a pale pink colour when seen through plastic header tank, and cannot be confused with blue G11.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23

0 1 0

7. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    That is because you live in French land and the frogs instinctively cannot bear to agree with anything the English say, we say British Racing Green and they say it should have been proper green and we cheated....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

1 1 0

9. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Mrs Crasher says it is pink and I think it is purple because I am colour blind which is true.....

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: A3 Coolant and Coolant Hoses 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Pinky-Purple?