Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hi
    Our 2013 1.4 TSI ACT has just failed its MOT on emissions. There are no warning lights and no fault codes.

VW have reached a dead end (after about an hour and £100) and want to start changing the CAT & lambda sensor despite their diagnostics saying they are both fine. £££££

It drives fine and economy is the same as ever but emissions are way out. Idle CO is 1.69, limit 0.3, Fast idle CO is 1.03, limit 0.2, Lambda up and down, in and out of limits mainly out. HC all OK.

My local chap now has it and so far found nothing either, and tested it on his machine with the same results.

It sailed through every other MOT. The only work done since last year was a new cam belt. VW did suggest it may be a tooth out but wouldn't that throw up codes, run rough and or drink fuel?

Any ideas from any teck people?

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If the Co is 1.69 at idle, the post cat lambda sensor would this up, store a code and turn on the MIL. If the cam belt was a tooth out it would run like **** and again store a code BUT it could be a little out which would cause problems, the CPTA engine has a very complex cam belt system and requires a set of special tools to change, if it was done by the Tipex and pray method you will need to get someone with the correct tool set to re-time it; ask your chap if he has a T10504. It doesn't make sense. Based on what you say I would fit a new pre cat lambda sensor but it still does not add up.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for that. I'm not sure I understand how a cam belt can be a little out and not at least a whole tooth on one of the cams. The garage used a proprietary camshaft tool AFAIK as I've seen it in their garage. It was red!!
    I will ask them about a T10504. I agree and both garages agree, it does not make sense. No codes and no lights and it runs fine at all speeds and throttle positions.
    Could it be contaminated fuel?

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If it is not converting the combusted fuel into Co2, water vapour and little else then the after cat lambda sensor should alert you to this no matter what so even if it was the fuel, the light would come on. I will email you the instructions for the CPTA engine, it is a very fussy setup.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Whilst stuck in traffic today I was mulling over this and came to the conclusion it simply can’t happen to an unmolested car. The post cat Oxygen sensor is there to monitor and add to what is going on and is FAR more fussy than MOT equipment, this has to be a problem with the systems being used to test it.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    HELP!! Unmolested car? What does that mean?

It's been to 2 MOT stations and both gave the same readings so I can't see it being the testing equipment.

I understand what you're saying about the post CAT sensor and my mechanic said the same. It isn't even trying to lean it off which is what he'd expect it to do and then throw up a fault too.

We've had it since Jan 2015 and it has sailed through every MOT until last Weds. It hasn't had any work outside annual services apart from the Cam belt 2 weeks ago. It's done 45,000 miles.

The exhaust smells lightly of ammonia which shows the CAT is working on the unburnt fuel but not totally successfully. There is a disconnect between what the car is doing and what it thinks it is doing so a sensor isn't sending the correct info and doesn't know it's not.

My mechanic's wife has a CPTA engined car and next Weds he's going to rob some bits to see if he can isolate a fault. He's a star. VW were going to start putting bits on at random on a charge the customer regardless basis.

I'll keep you updated.

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    There is something odd going on here, there is no way an EU5 emissions petrol car can do this without fault codes unless it has been modified. The fact to bear in mind is that the emissions standards since May 2018 have changed which has resulted in 5.5% of petrol cars failing the MOT on emissions BUT you should have codes and the MIL on, what you narrate does not make sense.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    There is something odd going on here, there is no way an EU5 emissions petrol car can do this without fault codes unless it has been modified. The fact to bear in mind is that the emissions standards since May 2018 have changed which has resulted in 5.5% of petrol cars failing the MOT on emissions BUT you should have codes and the MIL on, what you narrate does not make sense.
    Yes odd and it doesn't make sense. No codes and the diagnostic shows everything is spot on. If we had not had the car for over 4 years I'd be suspicious but we have and it has passed in '16, '17 & '18.

Today for the first time ever, it misfired just once in the first 400 metres. It then went on tho drive faultlessly and reported the usual 48mpg on a 14 mile trip. So something has recently changed. The plot thickens.

Will update when it's next looked at or if it finally throws up a light.

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I would like to take a look, where are you?

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

10. Re: 1.4 TSI ACT Failed Emissions - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    You are welcome, but I'm 180 miles from Nottingham

I'm in West Sussex 10 miles north of Worthing. I'll PM you my address.

Caffyns VW Worthing have looked, they have also done all services since Jan '15.

My local guy has looked but I'd seriously welcome another opinion.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast