1. Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi folks, looking for some advice. For the last couple of years I have had a small oil leak from the AKE diesel. Although oil leakage is minimal, at each annual service I have to clean up the bottom of the engine and noise protector. I had to do this when I changed the cam belts etc last week (its also due a service about now). I now notice a couple of oil drops on the garage floor this morning - first time this has happened. I think it maybe because the bottom of the engine and noise protector are now devoid of a lot of oil/grit that was probably retaining any leaked oil - or the leak could be getting worse!
    So wondering if you experienced chaps (Crasher?) can give me some pointers on where the leak maybe coming from.
    The sump gasket is sound, as are the sump plug and crankshaft locking plug and also the sensor on the bottom of the sump.
    The rhs (drivers) side looks sound - had the charged air pipe, air filter etc off when inserting the locking plate on that side. The cylinder head gasket looks fine at that side.
    The left side (passenger) cylinder head cover looks to be leaking - from middle to back of seal it is "wet" with oil.
    So, is it common for cylinder head cover gaskets needing replaced after 220k??
    Any suggestions will be gratefully explored!
    Last edited by ceilidhalfie; 15-05-2019 at 06:50 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    After getting our own example of AKE powered Audi I read through most of the "back catalogue " on here of this category we are in.

One of the most consistent leak subjects is as you've stated, the cam box cover as it seems to outnumber virtually everything else. Mostly leaks are notable by their absence from this engine (using posts on here as informal statistics) so I think it's a logical plan to replace what you can definitely see on yours.

0 0 0

3. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    It is quite common for the covers to distort and new gaskets won't stop the leak. When you re-installed the outer cam caps, did you apply sealant to their bases? It is important to use the special sealant D 454 300 A2 (£75.66!) and before installing the gaskets, the outer cam cap tops and the semi circular seals should have a bead of D 174 003 M2 (£42.43) applied in specific areas, we actually lightly coat the whole gasket with a thin layer of the sealant. We lightly coat the head surface of the semi circular seals with D 454 300 A2. We are just doing a head rebuild on an Ibiza Bochenegra and the job requires the use of seven different types of VAG special purpose sealants (£300 to buy them in but you get multiple jobs of of one tube) and if you use off the shelf black RTV and they **** oil out.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info guys. Crasher I have not gone near the engine yet apart from changing the cam belts etc. Would now like to replace the left cylinder head cover gasket as I am fairly certain that is where the leak is. So given that, do I only need the D174003M2 sealant as I have not touched the outer cam caps? Will try a new gasket first before thinking of replacing the actual cover. The maintenance manual does not state the sealant to be used but the parts manual says to use D174003M2 (orA2) and also for sealing the outer camshaft bearing cover, use sealant D 454 300 A2. But I assume I am not touching the outer camshaft bearing cover?????

0 0 0

5. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    ETKA shows the goo as AMV 174 004 01 and ELSA shows to use it in the corners of the bearing cap humps and across the semi circular seal, gasket kit 059 198 025 at £27.83 genuine Audi and Euro Car Parts sell the Elring aftermarket version for £35.99......!!!
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Thanks for that Crasher. For info, if you double click in ETKA on the part AMV 174 004 01 is says D174003A2 supecedes it. Thanks also for the pricing - much appreciated by a Scotsman!

0 0 0

7. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Yes I forgot to double click but your ETKA must be a bit out of date (current Audi data update 1276 and price update 852) as 01/02/14 D174 003 A2 chnaged to D 174 003 M2, current retail £42.43

Mrs Crasher and her sister are just descending from Skye to Lancaster as we speak, they were supposed to stay in Fort William tonight but the cat isn't well and she wants to get back.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Could I ask what 'maintenance manual' you may be using? I have a B9 A4 Allroad and wouldn't mind a manual if the price wasn't too high - bearing in mind I only do basic mechanic tasks, (oil/filters etc and basic electrics)

0 0 0

9. Re: Audi Allroad 2002 AKE 220k miles - minor oil leak / seapage 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    I use elasWin but it is a long story, for quick up to date information obtained legally at a fair cost erWin is your best solution and you get access to TPI's https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0