Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Golf mk5 gt140 bkd Slight issue after engine timing.

1. Golf mk5 gt140 bkd Slight issue after engine timing. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi guys/gals.

I’ve recently had my cambelt/water pump done at my local vw. I noticed soon after that the engine was down on power, well what I mean is it just didn’t feel as snappy. I purchased VCDS and checked the measuring blocks and realised that the torsion value was at -1.5kw and the idle fuel consumption was dead on 0.6l/h. The car idled smooth like this and started on the button, just felt sluggish. I contacted vw and spoke to there master tech who suggested altering the torsion value to 0kw, so back it went. Picked it up yesterday and the car is back to its old self, pulls really nicely with no horrible flat spots, however...

I’ve noticed a couple of things.

Idle seems lumpy, it’s wasn’t before, was actually pretty smooth tbh.I’ve checked with vcds and it started with an idle fuel consumption of 08.l/h and the makes it’s way to 0.6l/h. I’ve not had chance to check it with the engine at full operating temp yet due to time constraints. This is my next job, hopefully when warm it will read 0.4 and I’ll know it needs adjusting which should fingers crossed fix the lumpy idle. I’ll report back on this one.

Engine noise. This ones hard to explain but I’ll do my best.

Basically I’ve noticed the engine sounds louder, especially when cruising. Before, except for hard acceleration, idle and 1st,2nd gear maybe, you could hardly hear the engine really, sometime you didn’t even realise you were in a diesel until you come to a stop and the car idled. I would describe the sound as something like the usually diesel tick through out the reve range but sounds more pronounced and metalic’ie if that makes sense. I can hear it ticking away when cruising at lower rpms (1500-2500) which is a bit annoying considering it was quite before. (The vw tech tested the injector values and and timing and said they are all very good).

Anybody have any experience of this? Perhaps yours did the same after altering the cam timings?

I’m probably going to have a little play with it, maybe even retard the torsion value a little -0.5 /-1 , see if I can find a happy medium, performance vs engine noise.

Also on a side note
    I was looking at cam locking pins, they have the sets on eBay uk for around £10, ones with the ball ends. Does anyone know if these are good for the bkd? Some sellers say they are and others don’t list it in there fitment specs although they all look the same ones.

Cheers.

0 0 0

2. Re: Golf mk5 gt140 bkd Slight issue after engine timing. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I've got a golf bkd mine would idle horrible when cold then had water pump and belt change at Vw and it came back with a torsion value of -2.8 but it idles a lot smoother now so just left it there

0 0 0

3. Re: Golf mk5 gt140 bkd Slight issue after engine timing. 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste1981 View Post
    I've got a golf bkd mine would idle horrible when cold then had water pump and belt change at Vw and it came back with a torsion value of -2.8 but it idles a lot smoother now so just left it there
    Yep from what I know, it’s the idle fuel consumption that has a bearing on idle quality, 0.6l/h seems to be the golden number that give the smoothest idle. Quite possible as the belt has aged the timing has gone slightly out due to it stretching causing the idle value to drop, hence the lumpy idle. As soon as they’ve put a new belt on and timed it with the cam lock pins, it’s brought it back in line giving you a nice smooth idle, well as smooth as the pd engines get anyway.

0 0 0