Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Hello all,

My A6 Avant SE Executive 66 reg has developed an intermittent fault in the wing mirror indicator light. Every so often, but more often than not, it will not work, and a message to that effect will appear in the Instrument Cluster. Sometimes it works for a few minutes, but then it will either not work at all, or only some of the lights inside will work, but in the latter case still reporting a fault. I could not identify a pattern as to when it works or not, not related to temperature, road surface condition, humidity, or any such thing.

My suspicion is that a contact is loose. Also, due to the fact that sometimes only some of the light bulbs (or LEDs?) work, I assume that the connection is such that there is not one connector for the whole assembly, but I may be wrong. Has anyone else encounter such an issue? If so, are my suspicions plausible? In any case, is this something worth attempting to fix by myself, or should I go to a garage, Audi or otherwise, to have it fixed? Do I stand a chance of finding wiring diagrams or instructions on how to go about it? Could it even be covered under warranty, in your experience, although I doubt it?

Thanks a lot!

0 0 0

2. Re: Right wing mirror indicator fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Hi there is just one connector for the whole strip of LEDs.

i haven't had the same trouble but I have had to replace one after a lorry took my wing mirror off a while back.

It's fiddly but do-able to replace it - lots of clips etc.

An indy garage could do it easily if you don't want to pay Audi prices.
    Now: 2016 C7 2.0TDi BE with Tech Pack, magic parking, ambient lighting
    Previous: 2013 C7 2.0 TDi S Line
    C6 2.0 TDI LE
    A4 2.0 TDI SE
    and an ancient 80 in the olden days...

0 0 0

3. Re: Right wing mirror indicator fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    174 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    Hello all,

My A6 Avant SE Executive 66 reg has developed an intermittent fault in the wing mirror indicator light. Every so often, but more often than not, it will not work, and a message to that effect will appear in the Instrument Cluster. Sometimes it works for a few minutes, but then it will either not work at all, or only some of the lights inside will work, but in the latter case still reporting a fault. I could not identify a pattern as to when it works or not, not related to temperature, road surface condition, humidity, or any such thing.

My suspicion is that a contact is loose. Also, due to the fact that sometimes only some of the light bulbs (or LEDs?) work, I assume that the connection is such that there is not one connector for the whole assembly, but I may be wrong. Has anyone else encounter such an issue? If so, are my suspicions plausible? In any case, is this something worth attempting to fix by myself, or should I go to a garage, Audi or otherwise, to have it fixed? Do I stand a chance of finding wiring diagrams or instructions on how to go about it? Could it even be covered under warranty, in your experience, although I doubt it?

Thanks a lot!
    Why would it not be covered by warranty? Your car comes with a 3 year warranty (2years unlimited mileage plus 1 year to a maximum of 60k miles). Assuming your car is under the mileage limit take to the dealer and if necessary get them to explain why it is not covered. On the face of it I cannot see why it would not be covered . In the past I have warranty work done a matter of days before the 3 year anniversary

0 0 0

4. Re: Right wing mirror indicator fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    Why would it not be covered by warranty? Your car comes with a 3 year warranty (2years unlimited mileage plus 1 year to a maximum of 60k miles). Assuming your car is under the mileage limit take to the dealer and if necessary get them to explain why it is not covered. On the face of it I cannot see why it would not be covered . In the past I have warranty work done a matter of days before the 3 year anniversary
    Agree. It's a factory fitted part that is failing. Have had my fule filler replaced and the whole MMI panel as the rotary switch started to make grinding noises, not a cheap part...
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

5. Re: Right wing mirror indicator fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsimcox View Post
    Thank you for that. I checked the Audi Warranty document and it stated there that the following are not covered, with exceptions:
    "Light bulbs (Xenon/gas discharge bulbs and LED’s are covered for the full warrantyoffered with the vehicle)"

I therefore went to my local Audi and they booked it in as an 'under warranty' item, without issues. I will let you know how that pans out, as I am cautiously optimistic, knowing Audi...

0 0 0

6. Re: Right wing mirror indicator fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amigo View Post
    Thank you for that. I checked the Audi Warranty document and it stated there that the following are not covered, with exceptions:
    "Light bulbs (Xenon/gas discharge bulbs and LED’s are covered for the full warrantyoffered with the vehicle)"

I therefore went to my local Audi and they booked it in as an 'under warranty' item, without issues. I will let you know how that pans out, as I am cautiously optimistic, knowing Audi...
    Quick update, although late: all went well, Audi reset the fault, it reappeared within seconds, so they replaced the lights under warranty. The fact that they also tried to scare me into replacing the brake pads (which I knew they needed changing sometimes soon) AND the brake disks (which are fine still, as confirmed by my local trusted independent) was not that good, but that's Audi dealers around the area.

0 0 0