1. Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Upon going through the service books for my 2006 Passat 2.0 TDI, I noticed that they state the timing belt should be replaced on the diesel unit every 80,000 miles, which is sensible, but no time limit is mentioned!! It mentions some jobs that need done after 4 and 6 years, but the timing belt is not one of them.

In every other car I've owned the manufacturer recommends the timing belt be changed at say 60,000 miles/6 years, 80,000 mile/8 years so on so forth, but VW only mention miles.

The belt on mine was last changed in 2011 at 68,000 miles and even though it is only on 140,000 miles now (still within 80k) I am getting it changed on Wednesday since it has been 8 years and in my book that is getting on for being very risky regardless of mileage, especially as these are interference engines so a belt breakage would be almost certain destruction to the valves.

As it happens I do around 20k per year so mine will need changed every 4 years regardless, but I know there are a lot of people who don't do near as much mileage, such as the previous owner who only did around 2k per year, so she could technically have waited another 9 years until it hit 80k which would have made it 17 years since the last change. I would never expect a belt to last that long.

I suppose the reason I'm asking is out of curiosity but also if my situation was to change (as it may do in the near future) and my annual mileage was to plummet, at what age should I change the belt if it is still within 80k?

0 0 0

2. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    Up to and including 2009, it is every four years, it shows in the ELSA WIN service sheets but not always in the handbook, you would think they would make it very clear.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

3. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Is it!? Jeez it is on borrowed time then.

I was doubting whether it was worth it but after discovering in the service history that it has indeed had the injector recall (23H9), I now feel better about doing preventative maintenance as the car could probably last another 4 years without too much going wrong (I hope!).

0 0 0

4. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    As long as you don’t get an ULEZ near you....
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
    Is it!? Jeez it is on borrowed time then.

I was doubting whether it was worth it but after discovering in the service history that it has indeed had the injector recall (23H9), I now feel better about doing preventative maintenance as the car could probably last another 4 years without too much going wrong (I hope!).
    With preventative maintainance, regular servicing including periodic cleaning of parts known to clog up e.g. the intake and EGR valve and all the known major issues resolved such as oil pump drive, parking brake components, cracked heads and other common 'faults' then another 5 to 10 years could be expected with renewing of normal wear and tear components . Apart from a 50k cleaning of the intake which costs fork all except cleaning fluids and perhaps a seal or two if looking peeky when bits are off the car plus a 40k DSG oil change that is a must do, I'd expect another 100k out of my old B6 (MOT emissions which are still under VIN plate value permitting). Sure a few things might need replacing such as suspension and other bits and pieces but the outlay to keep what is now a reliable, quick, comfortable daily drive is relatively small for the near future and I'd have that starting to happen on a car half its age anyway. I'm 3 and a half years away from the next timing belt change, have replaced a heap of stuff that has worn out over the past 3 to 4 years leaving much fewer old parts that may get to their end of life in the next 5 years. It's already outlived my old E39 BMW, which was possibly the best car I've ever owned, and is still running very well indeed.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

6. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    As long as you don’t get an ULEZ near you....
    I doubt we'll get one of those up here in the highlands, but you never know!! In all honesty I would be hard pushed to go back to a petrol engine now I've gotten used to a diesel and their superiority as far as I'm concerned.

0 0 0

7. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    With preventative maintainance, regular servicing including periodic cleaning of parts known to clog up e.g. the intake and EGR valve and all the known major issues resolved such as oil pump drive, parking brake components, cracked heads and other common 'faults' then another 5 to 10 years could be expected with renewing of normal wear and tear components . Apart from a 50k cleaning of the intake which costs fork all except cleaning fluids and perhaps a seal or two if looking peeky when bits are off the car plus a 40k DSG oil change that is a must do, I'd expect another 100k out of my old B6 (MOT emissions which are still under VIN plate value permitting). Sure a few things might need replacing such as suspension and other bits and pieces but the outlay to keep what is now a reliable, quick, comfortable daily drive is relatively small for the near future and I'd have that starting to happen on a car half its age anyway. I'm 3 and a half years away from the next timing belt change, have replaced a heap of stuff that has worn out over the past 3 to 4 years leaving much fewer old parts that may get to their end of life in the next 5 years. It's already outlived my old E39 BMW, which was possibly the best car I've ever owned, and is still running very well indeed.
    Well I'm going to clean the EGR and anti-shudder valve/throttle body in the next couple of weeks as they haven't been done ever to my knowledge. Being a manual transmission the only worry I have in that regard is the cost when the clutch needs replaced, being a DMF, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

The EPB works fine to date and it had the O/S caliper replaced in 2012 so chances are the N/S will go in the near future but again that's something I'll deal with when it happens. I only use the parking brake when parking on my driveway which is on a slight incline and I don't fancy relying on the gearbox to hold it overnight there. When parked on level surface I don't use it so its wear should be reduced drastically over one that gets applied multiple times per day.

0 0 0

8. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
    I doubt we'll get one of those up here in the highlands, but you never know!! In all honesty I would be hard pushed to go back to a petrol engine now I've gotten used to a diesel and their superiority as far as I'm concerned.
    You're right between where my father was stationed (Lossiemouth) and where my uncle (his brother), had his trawler moored (Peterhead). Been a while since I've been that far North ��
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

9. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    You're right between where my father was stationed (Lossiemouth) and where my uncle (his brother), had his trawler moored (Peterhead). Been a while since I've been that far North ��
    Well I actually used to live in Lossiemouth believe it or not.

It's a beautiful part of the country, just a shame there are minimal job opportunities (aside from working off-shore or in the fishing industry). At least I can just walk 5 minutes from my front door and be on the harbour or beach which you can't do in Glasgow or Edinburgh.

The fact is though I like village life too much to move, but I am close enough to Aberdeen that I could get a decent job there and commute back and forth.

0 0 0

10. Re: Timing belt interval? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    My wife and her sister go walking up in them there hills every year, they are off to Skye this year, they have done the coast to coast in both directions, I stay here int Midlands.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast