Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there.

I have some trouble with my VW Sharan 2001 1.9 TDI 4motion.
    It's a PD diesel (AUY).

My problems began last fall when it did a cople of "frog jumps" by cutting out all power and then working as it should while driving.
    Figured it might've been water or air in the fuel lines so made a mental note to order a new diesel filter since I don't know when it was last replaced.
    But just one or two weeks after that (still hadn't replaced filter) it began running on 3 cylinders when engine was cold. Had to get to work so drove it as-is and after a few hundred meters I could get it to fire on all four by just turning engine off and then on while rolling.
    VCDS said cylinder 3 had issues and google suggested to replace the wiring to the fuel pumps.
    So I ordered the wiring loom and fuel filter and replaced glowplugs while I was at it since it needed to get 2-3 glows before starting last winter.
    The car now ran as it should but I noticed I had some vibrations. Especially around 1500 rpm I could hear the interior vibrating.
    But it vibrated less when turning to one side so I figured it to be the front bearings and made a note of it to replace them before I had to get car through next approval that was february this year.
    The vibrations kinda grew more noticable and then after having the bearings replaced found out that, yes, the bearings were bad and needed replacement, but the engine still vibrates.

I'd say that now it vibrates quite much on idle (~950rpm) and has the worst issue around 1200-1300 rpm.
    When looking at engine on idle I can see the left side of it (where belts are) vibrate much. Right side where gearbox/flywheel is doesn't vibrate as badly.

During easter I decided to take a whack at it and see if I could figure things out and disassembled the EGR. It was full of dirt. Cleaned it out and put it back. Also looked under the valve cover or what-it's-called to see that the wiring was still seated properly in the pumps.
    But the darn think still vibrates on me.

VCDS shows me NOTHING. No fault codes, no engine/glow lights.

But the week before easter, on tuesday on my way home from work the car all of a sudden worked as it should. Was silky-smooth. Responsive. Joy to drive.
    But the next day it was back to car from hell.
    Sometimes it feels like not all them horses are pulling in the same direction. Fells at times that some of the effect is working the other way if you guys understand what I mean?
    But that tuesday all the horses ran in the same direction for first time in a long while.

I had timingbelt replaced by mechanic 2 years ago (december 2016).

Do you guys and gals have any ideas for me what it could be?
    I'm thinking it might be the timing belt that needs to be adjusted (seen on youtube that it can be adjusted), but I don't know if that is the issue I have and what direction I should turn it if that is the case..
    Or it might be them G40 or G28 hall sensors but they should show up as faulty in VCDS, should they not? (Or is my car too old to show issues like that?)

Anyone out there that has had issues similar to mine and figured it out?
    Can't afford to take it to a shop and have them spend hours on troubleshooting first before repairing it.
    Need to try to fix it myself or at least know with quite big certainty what the issue is if it's something I can't do myself so I can get some quotes from mechanics.
    Old car is old and such..

Thanks in advance, Blackmajj, Norway

Edit:
    Just remembered another issue that began in the same window of time that might be helpful for diagnostic purposes for those of you who understand more about cars than I do:
    I've been using an ODBII bluetooth connector to see mileage and such on longer trips since I purchased the car.
    Before it has reported correctly.
    But when all my problems began with vibrations and the faulty injector loom and such it all of a sudden began reporting a fuel consumption that is 4x higher than the real fuel consumption.
    Average says 2.7L/10km (real useage is 0.7) and it even says it consumes 1.6L/10km while engine breaking down a hill. Before it showed correctly at 0.
    Last edited by BlackMajj; 22-04-2019 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added info about mileage reported...

0 0 0

2. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Start at the basics, what fault codes are stored and solve them, if the problem remains, dig deeper.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No fault codes what so ever.
    That's why I need help figuring out what it could be.
    If my car was kind enough to give me a fault code or two then I'd have something to google for.
    But no lights on dashboard, no fault codes when checking with vcds.

0 0 0

4. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Have you studied the injector balances?

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Injectors show between -0.3 and +0.3 on all four, so they seem to be well within spec if spec is indeed -2.8 to +2.8 as stated by VCDS when I run it on my car.

0 0 0

6. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    That is a good figure, I don't like it to go over +/- 1

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My darn car is driving me crazy!
    Now again today I had more vibrations and could feel that the engine didn't have all the power it usually has. Especially noticable in 5th @ 1700-1800 rpm. When I press down on gas pedal normally the car accelerates just fine. But today nothing much happened and I got the vibration sound I get if I try to drive too slow in 6th (below 1500rpm) and pushing down on the pedal. Nothing happens and I can hear engine vibrate more.
    And when running stable speed at flat ground I could feel that the power suddenly diminishes. Darn strange.
    I suspect I have a little vibration from flywheel because if I stand still and put 1st gear and rev over 2k with clutch down the car starts creeping forward.
    But it's not as bad as all the youtube videos I've found, because it doesn't have the metallic "clong clong" sound to it. So probably just a little bad so far.
    And, yes, that is probably the vibration I can feel very little of when the engine has a good day and runs like it should.

The main issue is for me to figure out what the heck it is that makes the big vibrations and the sometimes loss of power that makes the car feel like the ignition would be way off on a regular petrol car.

Before I can figure that one out there's no way for me to pay a mechanic £1200-1400 for replacing the flywheel/clutch/hydraulic lifter.

Edit:
    Took some video of my engine. It sure does vibrate. Like a bloody Dildo! https://www.jottacloud.com/s/095206c...f31a4e1b949612
    <- my engine!
    Last edited by BlackMajj; 29-04-2019 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added video link

0 0 0

8. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did some logging today to see if anything pops up.
    Still no faults stored on engine but it just doesn't run right.

But since I'm no mechanic I have no idea what the numbers are telling me so anyone see anything out of the ordinary in the log?
    Couldn't upload it to the forum for some reason so I put it on my jottacloud.
    Link here: LOG-01-001-003-015.csv

0 0 0

9. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1840 Post(s)
    Replace injector 3.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

10. Re: 1.9 TDI pd AUY vibrations 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You think it might be bad?
    I suspect that one has been replaced prior by previous owner since it's the only injector that is gray while the other three are black.

0 0 0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast