Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now!

1. Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi guys, I need some advice please.

I replaced my rear wiper motor on the A6 C5 Avant some months ago (new non-genuine) - it's still like new, recently I lost washer fluid to the rear jet so I checked the usual snap connector in the passenger foot well, it was fine so I checked the one in the N/S/R quarter by the rear lights, it had popped, the quarter was full of fluid. I fixed that back but pressure was still low so traced the pipe back and found a split near the passenger seat that was spraying water near the convenience module.

I fixed that today by installing a one way valve and heat shrink tubed it to ensure it stayed put, I pushed the washer stalk and after a few seconds the rear wiper wouldn't switch off, I pulled the tailgate panel off and found water was pi$$ing through the motor from around the black snap connector with the brass tube that goes through the motor to the jet. The motor was shorting because of the water and causing it to stay on when cancelled.... Okay I've found the reason the electrics were acting up.

I stripped it down again, cleaned and dried it but it's still doing the same after the water gets to the electrics, I spotted water spraying from the base of the little push in jet where it fits into the brass tube, it's spraying out in all directions as well as the jet to the screen so it's not blocked, I've stripped it all down and cleaned it again, The motors on my work table at the moment so I can look more closely at it but I can't fathom why the water is spraying out and leaking back down the brass pipe into the motor, the jet is a nice tight firm fit in the brass tube so shouldn't leak... it's driving me mad!

Can anyone also tell me where this rubber O-ring goes as well? (blue arrow) I think it was on the splined shaft but can't see a reason why its there as the shaft has an internal rubber seal.

What's the solution to fix this? as I ain't buying another when I can't see why this one is problematic!

What an absolute crap design it is! I glued the last jet in place on the old motor as the brass tube had been butchered by the previous owner but I don't see why I need to do this but If I have to I will.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

S.

Edit - Just had a look up the jet with a jewelers loupe and it looks likely that there is a crack / split inside where the thin tube meets the main jet body, this would explain the water spraying out, I wonder what caused it - frozen washer fluid? Seems likely due to the other parts of the washer line having popped and split.
    Attached Images
    2003 A6 C5 2.5 TDI Quattro Avant (180bhp)

0 0 0

2. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Just so it helps others with the same problem, I've now found the issue.

The brass tube that runs through the motor to the jet has a 3" split down its length, causing the water to gush out like a spray bar, I wonder again what caused this as it was working fine just a few weeks ago before the pipe split by the seat and the rear snap connector parted, I don't think we've had any sub zero temperatures in this time that would have caused it to freeze and blow out. It was in fact working fine just a couple of weeks ago when I found the split and diverted the rear washer pipe until I could get it fixed.

I keep a decent concentration of washer fluid in the washer bottle too, I can only conclude it has corroded in just a few weeks of being 'dry'

I now need to find a pipe or buy another complete washer motor - Joy!

0 0 0

3. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Timely for me but not of help to you, my motor is also non function so was going to look at it with your info.
    But, can't get into the tailgate as it looks like I'm going to damage the trim panel fixings.

The passenger doors on this are so easy to remove door cards, but any tips on the tailgate would be much appreciated. I have removed inner door handle, can get gap at lowest point of interior trim panel to see inside, get it to clear tailgate latch mech, but it looks like there are fixings up near the window.
    Don't want to lever it but just can't immediately see access route.

What am I missing?

Assistance greatly appreciated.

0 0 0

4. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hannu5 if you still need help, I can send you pdf of the maint manual showing how to remove panel. A few years back I replaced my rusty tailgate. Even with the manual I still busted a few of the latches - but could aroldite them back together again. Yes - it was the latches on the panel near the window and I don't think there is any foolproof way of removing without a couple breaking.

0 1 0

5. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Yes please ceilidhalfie, that'll help me out.

Can you send via PM or do I need to respond to you via same?

I've got to get in there to fix it as she who owns the car has issued an executive instruction to such effect!

Thanks for your help.

0 0 0

6. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannu5 View Post
    Timely for me but not of help to you, my motor is also non function so was going to look at it with your info.
    But, can't get into the tailgate as it looks like I'm going to damage the trim panel fixings.

The passenger doors on this are so easy to remove door cards, but any tips on the tailgate would be much appreciated. I have removed inner door handle, can get gap at lowest point of interior trim panel to see inside, get it to clear tailgate latch mech, but it looks like there are fixings up near the window.
    Don't want to lever it but just can't immediately see access route.

What am I missing?

Assistance greatly appreciated.
    Sorry for the late reply.

The tailgate trim is secured with two screws, one in the handle and one underneath the warning triangle inside the flap, the rest of the trim pops off the plastic clips around the edges, they and the mounts are easily broken so go carefully starting at the bottom and finishing at the top on either side, the trim will just lift out but careful you don't rip the light / bulb holder off, it can be manoevered through the mounting hole, no need to disconnect it.

atb

Stav.

0 0 0

7. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Rear Lid Trim.jpgRear lid trim removal -

0 1 0

8. Re: Rear wiper motor - AGAIN! getting angry now! 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Thankyou both for the replies, I'll get on to sorting it out now.

1 1 0