1. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    25 to 31 bar (360 to 450psi) is normal for a VW Tdi but higher powered units can reach 34 bar or higher (500+ psi). You certainly don't want less than 19 bar (275 psi) and even then a BMR in top order should be pushing to the top end of the scale, possibly more. Differences of 5 bar (70 psi) or more between cylinders indicates a significant problem.

Don't forget to pull the fuel pump fuse before you crank the engine. Some disconnect the injector loom which has and added bonus of disconnecting the glow plug circuit. On a PD it can get messy as she'll still move the oil of course but not the enormous mess that you get if she fires up without the cover on - yep been there! I had the head surrounded by rags, more at the back as the engine is tilted.
    Last edited by DMitch16; 20-06-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

2. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Morning,

I've not managed to find the right compression testing kit yet. I've seen the laser adapter which is m8x1 x 115 if I remember correctly. Will that do the job?
    Will it connect to one of the cheaper testers?

If you could give me some links that would be awesome.

I currently have the injectors out so could just use an injector adapter but again I don't know which one will fit.

A slight bit of progress, kind of. I had the use of another vehicle with the same engine, I popped my injectors in there and read the values which were all around +/- 0.3 so decent.

I'm thinking something must be bent somewhere so I'll have to buy a kit for compression test.

Cheers
    2008 Passat Estate 2.0Tdi DSG
    BMR engine

0 0 0

3. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Plenty of stuff out there if you search for it. I'm not called Google so can only give you links to stuff I have already found.

You could get one of these to adapt to a standard set

Sykes Pickavant 31423170 M8 x 1.00mm Glow Plug diesel compression adaptor kit | eBay

The Passat Tdi engines only use M8 and M10 glow plugs so it shouldn't be hard to find something. If I couldn't find the right ones I'd make them - rubber tubing and connectors are abundant online. Make the right hose to screw into the glow plug hole and connect to the gauge. Pretty basic but it'll do the job.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

4. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Afternoon guys,
    Managed to get the compression test done today. All 4 cylinders are coming in at 400-420psi.
    Any ideas what to look at next? I'm stumped

Cheers
    BMR engine

0 0 0

5. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    So I'm still struggling on with the passat.

The only fault code I have is for implausible signal for the crankshaft sensor. That's been replaced but the fault remains.
    I'm assuming it's a wiring issue so I'm going to look at that.

I've seen the jettas had an issue with a connection in the wiring and there was a TPI to fix it. Is it likely that I could have the same issue?
    BMR engine

0 0 0

6. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I have the same motor as you. The car it's stoped since 2019 because I don't find the issue and the problem star's after a injector error like you. After almost 5000€ spend and the car have continues stopped in the garage.
    You have any ideas off the problem?

0 0 0

7. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vrgafonso@gmail View Post
    I have the same motor as you. The car it's stoped since 2019 because I don't find the issue and the problem star's after a injector error like you. After almost 5000€ spend and the car have continues stopped in the garage.
    You have any ideas off the problem?
    5000€! Sounds like a "parts cannon" has definitely been firing. Should have gone to a "proper shop" where they find the problem not replace parts to see if the fault goes away. Someone along the lines of Diagnose Dan on YouTube, proper mechanics/ auto electricians.

You could of had a low mileage replacement engine, ECU and engine loom fitted for that sort of money with change!

What has been replaced so far (so that I don't suggest items you have already had replaced)?

Do you have a list of current fault codes? If the situation like Kyle_471 in the last post had, from 2019, it is in my opinion definitely going to be a wiring issue and more than likely on a BMR, the loom at the rear of the engine above the hot stuff, the wiring from the ECU to the crank sensor or wiring has corroded elsewhere (fuse boxes / panels, battery contacts / connections, ground points and other loom wiring relating to the same circuit(s). Often shorts or breaks in the wiring elsewhere trigger unrelated fault codes in looms that trace back to the same point as the loom where the sensor has faulted, and these are usually the hardest to trace back.

Obviously I do not have the diagnosis and repair history for your car and the above would be my educated guess for Kyle_471.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

8. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMitch16 View Post
    5000€! Sounds like a "parts cannon" has definitely been firing. Should have gone to a "proper shop" where they find the problem not replace parts to see if the fault goes away. Someone along the lines of Diagnose Dan on YouTube, proper mechanics/ auto electricians.

You could of had a low mileage replacement engine, ECU and engine loom fitted for that sort of money with change!

What has been replaced so far (so that I don't suggest items you have already had replaced)?

Do you have a list of current fault codes? If the situation like Kyle_471 in the last post had, from 2019, it is in my opinion definitely going to be a wiring issue and more than likely on a BMR, the loom at the rear of the engine above the hot stuff, the wiring from the ECU to the crank sensor or wiring has corroded elsewhere (fuse boxes / panels, battery contacts / connections, ground points and other loom wiring relating to the same circuit(s). Often shorts or breaks in the wiring elsewhere trigger unrelated fault codes in looms that trace back to the same point as the loom where the sensor has faulted, and these are usually the hardest to trace back.

Obviously I do not have the diagnosis and repair history for your car and the above would be my educated guess for Kyle_471.
    Hi.
    Everything starts with a problem with a electric pump, after that problem came the big problem... The fuel filter have a seel inside and when it was fitted a new one the seel came out and that ruin the injectors.
    I sent the injectors to Germany and when they came the problem still there. I have sent the injectors again, the same... After that I have sent the injectors to Pologne twice and the problem still there. Replace turbo, all filters, vacuum lines, n75, maf sensor, cam sensor, turbo pressure sensor, all fluids, tandem pum, lift pump 2 times, timing belt...
    I have replaced the injectors 4 times because the mechanic told me it's injectors, and one person from Bulgaria told me the same after sent logs from the car, told me the problem is the car don't have fuel enough.
    The car is stoped since 2019 and all the money I have spent.
    In my city don't have good mechanic for diagnostic the problem.
    The car it's remap, I have insert the original file and no change nothing.
    The cart have a hard star in the morning and the engine shake at idle, don't have enough power and consumes 10l/100km.
    I think it's a lost problem...
    Thanks for the reply

0 0 0

9. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    vrgafonso@gmail: Sounds like the initial diagnosis was wrong or those that replaced the various parts did not fully understand what the problem was (and still is). Is yours a Pumpe Düse (PD) engine or a Common Rail? There are not many places that profess to be able to refurbish Siemens Pumpe Düse injectors (especially in the UK) but I have heard that there are one or two places in Poland and other EU countries that offer PD refurbishment for a reasonable price (in the UK the PD injectors new are very, very expensive). Doing so should render the injectors good to use but they could be subsequently damaged if the original problem and cause is not found and rectified. Viewing the live ECU data when the engine is running, along with any fault codes would be my first step and an understanding of what the data is reporting is essential. Visible inspection of wiring and engine condition would also be one of my first steps as you can often find wear points in wiring, loom trap points, bad or corroded connectors and even others attempts at repair that may not have been successful.

0 0 0

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456