Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_471 View Post
    Well...

The car started and still sounds crap and idles high. Its has now developed yet another fault..
    Smoking white and smoking/hissing near the turbo..
    Engine output test when doing egr cuts the engine out..
    Maybe it's beyond repair
    Things I would check:-

The high idle might still indicate an electrical issue as the ECU receives many, many inputs to be able to calculate what to do with the injection of fuel and at what point in the stroke. A short anywhere in one of these input circuits is going to cause the ECU to adjust what it can or depending on what it is being told it may fault to a standard map. It seems the former in your case however. A short of the crank sensor will certainly cause the engine to labour when it starts as it will take its queue from the cam position sensor instead and cams rotate at half the crank speed so the ECU needs longer to decide where the crankshaft is before starting.

I'd also look at the static timing figures on VCDS perhaps even check the physical timing - needs a timing lock kit to check it though. By removing the plastic timing belt cover you will be able to see if anything is immediately wrong such as a badly worn tensioner or bent tensioner stud (these do shear off if not fitted properly and to correct torque specs.). At 112k or a full ten years old the engine should be part way through its 3rd belt as the change is 95k or 4 years whichever comes first. Do you have any history of the TB changes? I'd probably do this before subjecting the engine to any further punishment.

It may not be beyond repair but too much running it in the state it is presently may unfortunately get it there.
    Mad Mitch
    VW Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 170 BMR Engine, JPQ G/Box, DSG
    Premium Phone Kit, MFSW, Alarm Chirps, Rain Closure, Auto Close
    Emergency Braking Light Flash, Spots as DRLs. VCDS + MicroCAN, 200K Club

0 0 0

2. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Update; not a good one unfortunately.

So we've been doing some work on the passat recently, 2months off the road now.

I bought timing tools and this has now been set as it was slightly out. The injector adjustments were done also.

A check over some of the components in the engine bay revealed that the turbo bearings were shot, there had been a whine from the turbo. The impellor had left some nasty scratches on the housing and the turbines weren't spinning freely. New turbo bought and fit which was a pain in the backside on a drive with axle stands.

Lift pump checked and all fuel lines upto the tandem pump which was recently rebuilt.

Basically the majority of the components in the engine bay have been checked, cleaned or replaced where necessary.

The car eventually started but was misfiring alot and I suspect one of the injectors was stuck as the car was accelerating without pressing the pedal after a short time idling with the misfire.

There are still no fault codes to indicate which injector/s may be at fault so now I'm stuck. As far as I'm aware there's no way to test an injector to see if it's the culprit so without changing all four I'm stuck.

Expensive decision ahead of me unfortunately.
    2008 Passat Estate 2.0Tdi DSG
    BMR engine

0 0 0

3. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    When you say the timing was out you may have to consider that it may not be injectors alone that are the issue. There may be a slightly bent or sticking valve. Have you tried to visually inspect the valve tops and springs, which is a tricky task due the the depth that they are seated in the head. I fortunately have access to a camera scope that can reach below the cams (which should also be inspected for any lobe wear - not common on the 2.0 billet cams but possible neverthless). I still have a spare set of billet camshafts which have minimal wear as I changed them as part of a head overhaul a fair while back because I couldn't refuse the offer of a pair of new ones for the price of one. Sooner or later it will get uneconomical to chase the problem possibly requiring head removal and deeper inspection of the engine - it's a painful decision. Some buy a refurbished or used engine, install it and then dismantle the old to find out what was wrong but each to their own.

Another thing - if you have VCDS checking the injection quantities under engine measuring blocks may give you an idea of what is going on with each injector under idle conditions and will certainly identify a bad injector.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

4. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Reading down through this thread last hour,
    White smoke can be a sign of incomplete combustion caused by low compression on one or more cylinders.
    The OP stated that the valve timing was not accurate.
    I'm starting to wonder if the previous owner/muppet has bent a valve or two and simply 'got rid'.
    It would also explain the hard starting and lumpy idle.
    Just a thought.
    I'd like to see some compression values before throwing any more money at it personally speaking.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

5. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just posted this a few minutes ago:

This post is to inform others if they may be experiencing this issue of their car going to limp mode/shutting down while driving. Approximately 4 months ago, with about 175k miles, I was noticing that the car was shuddering/jerking intermittently. I had recently had my timing belt changed, so I thought maybe it was off a tooth. Then I began doing research online and thought it was my MAF sensor. I cleaned it and no change. After more research, I thought it was my DMF as it was knocking and needed to be changed. Changed the DMF, issue still present. I then heard it could be my EGR or DPF. I plugged in an OBDII and no codes were found.

I went to visit a friend and he did a quick search online and found a post that revealed the problem:

The main engine wire harness that goes between the engine block and oil filter - was melted against the engine block and was causing a short.

Here is the link to that post: Passat B6 CBAB engine cut off while driving - Page 2

Here is a picture of my wire harness:

The fix: Pulled it away from the block. There was no major compromise of the wiring, so I will likely be adding new heat tape. Since pulling it away from the block, I have not been able to replicate the fault.

Hope this helps!

0 0 0

6. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    This can be quite common on BMR engines as it happened to me. High idle, cutting out, limp mode, a random crank sensor fault (red herring). On the BMR the DPF pressure sensor, vacuum actuator and turbo actuator position sensor is contained in a loom above and across the turbo heat shield - if it slips down it will melt onto the heat shield as it did with mine causing a short that the ECU finds difficult to interpret. Op should check this one first if not already done.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

7. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Very interesting post spiderj, I know a car that enjoys juddering and goes into limp mode and turning it off and on cures it. However it never turns it self off and only occurs on motorway, after many months I still don't have clue what causes it.

0 0 0

8. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Afternoon all,

I've not had much time to look at the car lately.

I've searched for some compression testers to check that as advised however it seems all the attachments for the glow plugs are m10 and mine are m8. I'm assuming that means I'll have to get an attachment to fit the injector port?

I'll have a check on the wiring close to the engine block, I've been in that area and don't remember seeing anything out of place but I wasn't actively looking for that.

Can anyone confirm the glow plugs are m8 and give me a link to a compression tester that will do the job?

Cheers
    BMR engine

0 0 0

9. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_471 View Post
    Afternoon all,

I've not had much time to look at the car lately.

I've searched for some compression testers to check that as advised however it seems all the attachments for the glow plugs are m10 and mine are m8. I'm assuming that means I'll have to get an attachment to fit the injector port?

I'll have a check on the wiring close to the engine block, I've been in that area and don't remember seeing anything out of place but I wasn't actively looking for that.

Can anyone confirm the glow plugs are m8 and give me a link to a compression tester that will do the job?

Cheers
    Yes BMR plugs are M8. Laser do an M8 compression adapter available from some sites for around £21. Most cheap diesel compression kits don't have the M8 dummy glow plug and concentrate on the more abundant M10 sizes. A Master kit would include such but cost an arm and a leg and an injector port plug means popping injectors which I prefer not to do as each time they are out and in again you are compromising the seal and should use new stretchy injector mounting bolts.
    Mad Mitch

0 0 0

10. Re: 2008 2.0 tdi 170 cranks but won't start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Nice one Mitch, I'll have a look for an adapter. I hoped my mate would of had a compression tester to lend me but he doesn't.
    Be around 50 for the tester and adapter I think.
    I'll post next week once I've done it.

What pressures should I be getting?

Cheers
    BMR engine

0 0 0

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast