Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start

1. Thumbs up Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to bother you guys. Just wanted some of your opinions on what could be the reason for the rough idle. I've recently changed the engine mounts thinking that could be the culprit. As a result, the shake has reduced considerably, however sometimes the car will go in a rough shake, and I feel like this happens every time there's a knocking sound on crank engine start. I will get a puff of black smoke soon after the crank too.

I did a VCDS on the injectors, apparently from what I understand the values are a bit high than normal, could this be the reason?

What should I do?

Audi A3 8PA, 1.9 TDI, 06, 175k miles

Any ideas/opinions are highly appreciated.
    Thanks

vcds_injectors.jpg

0 0 0

2. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Have a look at your torsion value as well

0 0 0

3. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    Injectors 1 and 4 are way off in MY opinion, anything over +/-1 causes problems and for me even number 2 is off. I will only fit Genuine Bosch exchange units (in an untampered with and sealed Bosch box) as at £647.40 each, genuine VAG exchange units are insanely expensive. Unfortunately these can be difficult to obtain and even then are around £500.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

4. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste1981 View Post
    Have a look at your torsion value as well
    Here's the torsion value: torsion-value.jpg

Does it need to be closer to 0? Sorry if this is a super dumb question, I'm a total noob.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Injectors 1 and 4 are way off in MY opinion, anything over +/-1 causes problems and for me even number 2 is off. I will only fit Genuine Bosch exchange units (in an untampered with and sealed Bosch box) as at £647.40 each, genuine VAG exchange units are insanely expensive. Unfortunately these can be difficult to obtain and even then are around £500.
    oh well, considering that I paid £700 for the car last year, I'm not really sure I will put another £1k in. From what I've seen online so far, the cheapest workaround or temporary fix could be a Diesel Purge, which I plan on doing this weekend. Hopefully, that will do something, in a good way. The previous owner has replaced two of the injectors.

0 0 0

5. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Yes supposed to be around the 0 mark although that being said my golf was a bit shakie with a bit of rattle on cold mornings then had the timing belt n water pump done by Vw and when I got it back the torsion was at -2.5 and it feels a lot better

0 0 0

6. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    Some people including my friend Greg set them up like like that as they do creep as they age due top belt stretch. Basically I aim for plate and pin perfection after two rotations of the engine and that normally gives a very low value.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did a diesel purge today, however, the injectors values stayed pretty much the same, with no significant improvements. Any chance the injector values be affected by some other factors? During the diesel purge I was expecting black smoke and the liquid in the jar to get dirty, but nothing like that happened, everything went smooth.

0 0 0

8. Re: Injectors issues? Rough idle + black smoke puff with knock sound on crank engine start 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1834 Post(s)
    You need to replace the injectors showing over +/-1 correction values.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0