1. A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Guys and Gals, as the subject says I bought a 2nd hand AMI unit off Ebay and connected it to my MMI 3g low in place of the CD changer. Enabled it in the hidden green menu and it appears in the input list but no matter what cable I use on it or what device i connect it always says 'no device connected'

What am I missing?? If I connect an iPhone it starts to charge so the ami is supplying power through the cable connected but why wont it detect the device? I've tried 3 cables that came with it and connected a USB stick, iPhone and Samsung galaxy to the various cables with the same result

What am I missing here?

Picture of ami part number attached
    Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

0 0 0

2. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    That AMI is for a 2G car, if you have 3G then you only need a cable that plugs into the MMI unit.

https://www.kufatec.com/en/all-produ...r-mmi-3g-36735

New VW 3G Retrofit Kit AMI Audi Music Interface iPod iPhone adapter RNS850 | eBay
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

1 0 0

3. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Doh!! Thanks dan2485, I've seen that cable but just assumed that as I was buying an entire unit it must do more than just the cable

I'll get this unit returned and get buying that cable

0 0 0

4. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan2485 View Post
    That AMI is for a 2G car, if you have 3G then you only need a cable that plugs into the MMI unit.

New VW 3G Retrofit Kit AMI Audi Music Interface iPod iPhone adapter RNS850 | eBay
    Right, bought the RNS850 cable and installed it (i'm getting rather good at dropping and reassembling the glovebox)
    I enabled all 3 options (just for testing purposes) in the hidden green menu so they read "AMI/AUX [AUX/AMI BT/AMI]

Connected my old iphone and........ the MMI picks up an aux device, if i click on 'play' either on the Itunes app or Amazon app the track will play for about 2 seconds then pause. A partial success lol
    If i connect an IPOD then it automatically displays the IPOD in the source list and works fine, displays track names, albums etc.....

SO, I was trying to get around the problem that my Audi doesn't have A2DP (and doesn't like android phones) by connecting an old IPHONE (which i read on previous posts 'should' work the same as connecting an IPOD), downloading the amazon app and then playing all my songs which should, at least, give me access to my library through the MMI/steering controls but now, even using the ITUNES app with my old library of songs, the tracks still pause after a few seconds.
    I guess the only thing left to do now is to buy the A2DP adaptor that connects into the AMI socket and stream directly via bluetooth from my Android phone which has all of my songs on it

Unless i find a super-hacky way of ripping all my Amazon prime music (most just 'added', not purchased) onto a memory card or an old ipod
    Frustrating at times but i like a challenge

0 0 0

5. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dan2485 View Post

That's saved me a wasted purchase as I have a 3G high. So it's just a cable from the CD player to a socket into which you plug in a Bluetooth adapter just like the cars which have the socket already in the glovebox?
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

0 0 0

6. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C6Allroad View Post
    That's saved me a wasted purchase as I have a 3G high. So it's just a cable from the CD player to a socket into which you plug in a Bluetooth adapter just like the cars which have the socket already in the glovebox?
    That's my understanding yes, I cant guarantee it as I'm going through the process of installing 1 myself and don't want to say 100% till I've got it working in my own car first
    There are loads of threads on here about adding AMI which are useful too

Last edited by Ritzdog; 18-04-2019 at 04:49 PM.

0 0 0

7. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So, bought one of these Tune2Air WMA3000A off Ebay. Connected it to the AMI port and hey presto, music streaming from my Galaxy S8 to my stereo.
    On the MMI screen the device shows up on the source list as an ipod, when you select it you then get 4 options, prev, prev, next, next
    1 prev option is for fast forwarding tracks
    1 prev option is for skipping tracks
    Same with next options I think
    It doesnt show track info AND you have to start playing the songs first on the phone but otherwise it's good as gold
    The phone can pair with both this device and the car MMI so bluetooth phone calls are unaffected
    Sometimes it doesnt continue playing once calls have finished but doesnt bother me too much

0 0 0

8. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Mine just show up as aux-in - maybe my MMI software needs updating?
    2011 A6 Allroad 3.0TDI

0 0 0

9. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C6Allroad View Post
    Mine just show up as aux-in - maybe my MMI software needs updating?
    Possibly, I'll get my version tomorrow and post it on here
    Have you got the correct options enabled through the hidden green menu?
    Aux in is 1 of them but AMI is another, maybe it's that??
    I've got both 'on'

0 0 0

10. Re: A6 C6 ami retrofit onto MMI 3g low fault 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Here's the version of firmware on my MMI. I updated a few months back
    NOTE: I got hidden green menu enabled and then updated it which of course, disabled the hidden green menu so had to get it enabled again. Common sense to most, but not for me

0 0 0