1. Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I like my toys and would love to add one from Ross-Tech to my collection.

Thing is, I'm not really keen on getting my hands dirty any more but at the same time, I hate not knowing what is going on with my pride and joy. Then there's the fact that some dealers could tell you that there are all sorts of things wrong with your car when all that is needed is a quick scan and a reset of whatever transient errors are reported.

So, I've been looking at the current models that are suitable for my car and obviously, they're not cheap. But then using main dealers isn't cheap either and as far as I can see, there isn't anyone in my immediate vicinity with a VCDS.

Do I get the cheapest model that will do the job or splurge on the best tool money can buy?

Just to be clear, I am talking about brand new genuine products here, not second hand or clones.

Any advice gratefully received.
    Technodevotee.

0 0 0

2. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I have the VCDS one and it has paid for itself a couple of times over. I recently used it to change my rear discs and pads which saved the price on its own (you need them for the electronic hand brake). I have also used it to scan my cars occasionally which can flag up issues before you notice them. Also useful for changing some of the settings - managed to get my wifes last A4 to dip the mirror on reverse etc. Currently run an S3 (6th Audi we have had) and a couple of skodas and my next car will be either an A8 or a VW camper so a no brainer for me to have one.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

3. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks. Can I ask which version you have?
    Technodevotee.

0 0 0

4. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I think it's the HEX CAN version. It was the latest one about 5 years ago and has unlimited VINs (they all did at that time). USB one end and OBD plug on the other. Plug and play.
    Current- A6 C8 40 tdi quattro s line Daytona Grey
    Gone-S3 sportback, A6 C7 biturbo saloon,A4 B 8.5 avant, A6 C6 3.0 tdi Quattro saloon, A6 C5 2.8 Q Avant

0 0 0

5. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks.

I decided that based on your previous answer, I'd get one and have ordered myself a HEX-NET Enthusiast.

My idea has always been to buy the best you can afford and that way you can't really go wrong.
    Technodevotee.

0 0 0

6. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    HEX-NET arrived this morning and I must say, I'm very impressed. I really like not having to use a USB cable because there's nothing to trip over or break.

I needed to update the thing a few times to get it up to date but once that was done, I did a scan and found a whole load of 'errors' that coincided with 'events' I witnessed when the battery was a bit low because I'd done a bit of stop start driving for a couple of days when it was cold.

So I saved the scan and cleared the errors then set about investigating a few other things that I have wondered about. Firstly, I wanted to find out if the car was on the time/mileage or the long life service regime.

I don't actually intend waiting until 10k to do an oil change but being as the car has an TOG sensor, it seems a bit daft not to use it. However, when I looked in SRI reset, I can see that it is in time and mileage but there's no option to change it back to long life - the only options available are for US models - so I presume that means I need to do it using an adaptation as per Speed-Freek's write-up.
    Technodevotee.

0 0 0

7. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by technodevotee View Post
    HEX-NET arrived this morning and I must say, I'm very impressed. I really like not having to use a USB cable because there's nothing to trip over or break.
    We're pleased to hear your comments about the HEX-NET. We hope you will enjoy many years of exploring anomalies in VAG cars with it.

Best of luck.

0 0 0

8. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks Bruce.

There are a few things in the mobile version that don't work as expected because much of the information available on the web pertains to the PC based version but once you understand that the Mobile version is an entirely different animal to the PC based version and that it is still in development, that is OK.

It is a massive learning experience but I'm sure that it is going to be a fantastic package.

I must also give a shout out for Ilexa, who have been very helpful.
    Technodevotee.

0 0 0

9. Re: Is this overkiill for me? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Indeed, VCDS-Mobile is a wholly different package and is still evolving. Our goal is to have it be just like VCDS on a PC. You have to understand that doing all that VCDS does in a universal environment over WiFi is not trivial. We chose this route to allow all smart devices to be used - not just Android or IoS devices - but all. That decision brought challenges and the team keeps whittling away at those challenges.

Ilexa is awesome and has been our partner almost since day 1. I know Derek and his team have been with us since at least 2002 - a long time. We have become good friends.

Working on VAG is a massive learning experience. I have been in this chair since 2004. While I have learned much, there is not a day at this office where I do not learn yet another new thing. The tech in these cars is highly advanced and only getting more so. Learning is a full time endeavor - but that would true of all aspects of life. We simply have to embrace the only fact of life that matters: Change is constant.

See you around the web.
    Last edited by bearthebruce; 29-03-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I can't write or spell.. fixed grammar! (some anyway)

0 0 0