Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You need to check the oil pressure at idle, I suspect you have damaged crank bearings, I have seen this a lot on the 1.8T and now we are seeing it on the 2.0T, twice last week alone, I have a 2012 TT 2.0T sitting at work ready for next week, low oil pressure caused the turbo to snap its shaft.
    Hi Crasher

How and where do I check the oil?
    Can I remover the oil pressure switch and install a oil pressure gauge there?
    What sort of pressure should I see?
    Thanks

0 0 0

2. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchAudi View Post
    I seem to be hearing about more and more problems possibly related to 1.8T oil pickup problems.

I'm in the process of fitting an oil pressure gauge - don't know why so few cars seem to have them.

mumutley, could you please post your current mileage and what oil change interval you follow?
    Hi FrenchAudi

The current mileage is 106,000 miles. I purchased the car with 100,000 miles and service history to 88,000 and an odd couple of receipts after this mileage for oil and filter (but no details entered in the services book) So when I purchased the car I completed a oil and filter change at 100,000 miles using full synthetic oil. Since the fault occurred its also had another oil and filter change completed at 106,000 miles.

You mention you are fitting a oil pressure gauge, could you say how and where? (what pressure should I expect to see?)
    Thanks

0 0 0

3. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info'.

I bought an M10 M x M10 F x 1/8" NPT F fitting from Speedograph Richfield, which screws into the M10 F hole where the normal oil pressure switch fits. The oil pressure switch goes into the female end, and the 1/8" NPT M sender for the Chinese oil pressure gauge I bought on Ebay goes into the side of the fitting. I don't care much about the accuracy of the gauge, I'm only interested in any change from the reading I normally get.

According to my Bentley manual, the pressure should be 1.0 to 3.5 bar at idle, and 5.0 to 7.0 bar at 3,000 rpm, with oil temperature at approx. 80șC.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

4. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Speedgraph Ritchfield at at the top of the road where Roy in our office lives, they make special handbrake cables for us. To test the pressure you need an M10 non tapered adapter for whichever gauge you use. The VAG book says 2 Bar at 2000rpm @ 80 degrees is the absolute minimum but I have found that you need to see at least 3 Bar at that point and at least 1.5 Bar at idle fully hot, preferably a bit more.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

5. Unhappy Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchAudi View Post
    Thanks for the info'.

I bought an M10 M x M10 F x 1/8" NPT F fitting from Speedograph Richfield, which screws into the M10 F hole where the normal oil pressure switch fits. The oil pressure switch goes into the female end, and the 1/8" NPT M sender for the Chinese oil pressure gauge I bought on Ebay goes into the side of the fitting. I don't care much about the accuracy of the gauge, I'm only interested in any change from the reading I normally get.

According to my Bentley manual, the pressure should be 1.0 to 3.5 bar at idle, and 5.0 to 7.0 bar at 3,000 rpm, with oil temperature at approx. 80șC.
    Hi Crasher and FrenchAudi

Oil pressure gauge fitted:

At tick over gauge shows 1.8>2 bar

At 3100RPM gauge shows 4.2 bar (no fluctuation)

Am I right in thinking I have low oil pressure? and time to pull the sump off again

I will wait for confirmation

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    BTW. The thread for the oil pressure gauge on my (AEB) engine is M10 x 1 mm.
    There are many Chinese made tees on Ebay described as 1/8" NPT Tee for tapping into oil pressure sender, with a diagram showing the 1/8" NPT connection on the side and M10 x 1, male and female, at each end. I suspect they are all from the same source.
    I bought one, and found the end connections were M10 x 1.5.
    The seller said they could not supply the item described, and offered to let me keep the fitting and make a refund of 30%, as they are liable for the return shipping, which is too expensive.
    They suggested I could sell it to recoup my money.
    I replied that I had no use for it, and would not accept a partial refund, and they refunded the full amount.
    They have not changed the diagram with the wrong sizes. It does apparently fit some 2016 Audi petrol engines.
    The adapter I bought from Speedograph Richfield Ltd is the only one I could find which was sure to have the correct threads, and it has
    Last edited by FrenchAudi; 22-04-2019 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23

0 0 0

7. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If those are the fully hot engine oil pressure figures they are fine.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If those are the fully hot engine oil pressure figures they are fine.
    Hello Crasher

Unfortunately I have not got access to Vagcom today, I went off the coolant temp gauge in the car (instrument cluster) it was showing 90c, this is where it sits in normal usage.

Any further ideas please?

0 0 0

9. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mumutley View Post
    Hi Crasher and FrenchAudi

Oil pressure gauge fitted:

At tick over gauge shows 1.8>2 bar

At 3100RPM gauge shows 4.2 bar (no fluctuation)

Am I right in thinking I have low oil pressure? and time to pull the sump off again

I will wait for confirmation

Thanks

My previous post was written while you were posting.

It seems you have slightly low oil pressure, but Crasher has far more experience with this issue on this engine than I have.

As you have already cleaned the oil pickup etc., this may be due to damaged bearings as he suggested, but could also be due to a faulty oil pressure relief valve or a worn oil pump.

As dropping your sump seems an easier job than on my car, it may be a good idea to replace your oil pump before looking at the crank bearings. You would probably replace the pump if you were putting in new bearings anyway.

0 0 0

10. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I see I posted while Crasher was replying. As he says the pressure is fine, provided the engine is fully hot, I would suggest that a decision to replace the oil pump depends on how long you intend to keep the car, and, of course, the cost of the pump.

0 0 0

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast