Notices

User Tag List

Thread: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi Guys (FrenchAudi Crasher)

I am going to drop the sump and remove/check the oil pump.

My intention with the car is to be a keeper for good (but if this continues who knows!!)

Thanks gents

0 0 0

2. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    If you take the pump off, replace it. We did this on a 2003 Octavia L&K that had previously had pressure issues as the pickup strainer wash cut open and twice more so eventually we fitted a new Febi pump to try and keep the light off and.... it got worse. So we fitted a pump from Euro and it went back over where it had been but still the fault would register if we did a readiness code test so the car went to the breakers... If your pressure readings are accurate, they need to be as a relationship test between two is not important here, then there is nothing wrong with the pressure figures you show, they are quite decent. Whether that pressure is getting to the VVT unit is another matter and one difficult to test, well impossible really. What make of VVT unit did you fit, I have had some awful problems with aftermarket units from Euro made by JP group, they all failed... one wrote off a Leon Cupra R engine by bending all the inlet valves when one of the gallery blocking ball bearings blew out. All I will fit now is genuine but these are daft money at £596.74 but it is all that will work and if it fails within 2 years, VAG pick up the bill..... in theory..... I bought my Octavia VRS in 2008 with 121k on a rattling engine with smoking turbo and from experience I knew that it would never patch up so I fitted a genuine exchange engine and turbo and it now has 200k on it and is a faultless workhorse giving 220PS.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

1 1 0

3. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    If you take the pump off, replace it. We did this on a 2003 Octavia L&K that had previously had pressure issues as the pickup strainer wash cut open and twice more so eventually we fitted a new Febi pump to try and keep the light off and.... it got worse. So we fitted a pump from Euro and it went back over where it had been but still the fault would register if we did a readiness code test so the car went to the breakers... If your pressure readings are accurate, they need to be as a relationship test between two is not important here, then there is nothing wrong with the pressure figures you show, they are quite decent. Whether that pressure is getting to the VVT unit is another matter and one difficult to test, well impossible really. What make of VVT unit did you fit, I have had some awful problems with aftermarket units from Euro made by JP group, they all failed... one wrote off a Leon Cupra R engine by bending all the inlet valves when one of the gallery blocking ball bearings blew out. All I will fit now is genuine but these are daft money at £596.74 but it is all that will work and if it fails within 2 years, VAG pick up the bill..... in theory..... I bought my Octavia VRS in 2008 with 121k on a rattling engine with smoking turbo and from experience I knew that it would never patch up so I fitted a genuine exchange engine and turbo and it now has 200k on it and is a faultless workhorse giving 220PS.
    Hi Crasher,

Thanks for all the help and guidance, the VVT unit (cam chain tensioner) was the best I could afford but not OEM, I can not stretch to just short of 600. I purchased it from Online car parts: Buy cheap auto spare parts and autoparts online I think it was a SWAG manufactured unit.
    The one I removed was the original VAG unit which was showing ware on the top and bottom tensioning blades.
    The oil pump fitted is a Febi unit.
    Is it possible to run the engine with the valve cover removed? I am just hoping to observe the oil being pumped round where it should be?

I do like the Skoda Octavia VRS they look a cracking motor, I know my poor A3 is only a 2002 1.8T quattro, but I like them, but not at present. I have a tendency to run older Audi's (I just like them) and a more modern motorcycle when the weathers good.

Thanks

0 0 0

4. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    Your A3 will have the same AUQ code engine as the VRS and yours puts all drive down to four wheels instead of setting fire to the fronts. SWAG is Febi (as is Blueprint) they withdrew that unit from sale due to problems so I am surprised you were able to buy one. As we experienced, the Febi pump dropped the pressure.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

5. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Hi Crasher,

Not sure unless the SWAG unit was found laying around the warehouse!! Still listed on the website.

So I maybe over thinking everything by now, but it just want my car sorted, all was great till the missfire and fault codes all popped up.

So while all in bits should I put a new oil pump in, make sure sump clean again and keep my fingers crossed ?

Thanks

0 0 0

6. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1816 Post(s)
    You have good oil pressure from your figures so the problem lies elsewhere.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

7. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Last edited by FrenchAudi; 23-04-2019 at 01:46 PM.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

8. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I'm beginning to wish I'd kept my Ro80, which is now sitting unused in a garage in Japan.
    Did this forum help you? Help make sure it's here next time! Follow the instructions at the top of the page to make a suitable donation using PayPal .
    1996 A4 B5 (S2) Avant 1.8T (petrol) 150 bhp code AEB automatic with 79,125 kms = 49,450 miles on 30/07/23
    VW T25 Camper, Alfa 33 1.4 ie, 2 Alfa 33's for parts.

0 0 0

9. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchAudi View Post
    I'm beginning to wish I'd kept my Ro80, which is now sitting unused in a garage in Japan.
    Such a shame to just put a car in a garage and not use it,

Think the above post went a little strange?

0 0 0

10. Re: Help - 2002 Audi A3 1.8t Quattro ARY engine code - Rough Idle - Fault code P1340 - Help 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    You have good oil pressure from your figures so the problem lies elsewhere.
    Have you any further suggestions of where the problem lies, Maybe the new (cheap) tensioner??
    Thanks

0 0 0

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast