Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi All,

First post here!

Car has broke down twice this week. Stalls and then no start. I went to it on Monday when it happened and it fired straight up. Plugged in a cheap code reader which brought up nothing. Wife had said it came up with a warning "garage now". I changed the fuel filter as a precaution and it ran ok all week.

Same happened again today tho! Wife got AA out who plugged in diagnostics and got fault codes P2146 and P1517. After doing a bit of reading on here and other places I'm thinking I have an injector down.

Being a fairly competent mechanic (more so on marine diesels) I was going to try and do it myself. Injector look easy to get to and remove. My question is, do they need pairing with the ECU once replaced?

Cheers all

0 0 0

2. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    What engine code is it and year?

0 1 0

3. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Apologies. Its a 2008 57 plate. Codes according to AA report are P1040, P2146 and P1517.

0 0 0

4. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonster View Post
    Apologies. Its a 2008 57 plate. Codes according to AA report are P1040, P2146 and P1517.

0 0 0

5. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Just re-read the reply. I don't have the engine code yet, will get it tonight when I get home

0 0 0

6. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Engine code is BKP, 2008

0 0 0

7. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    I would change the engine power supply relay first, the J317 on the under bonnet relay box with 100 or 458 on top and change it for the new design 4H0 951 253 with 644 on top, £20.68 from VW. If the problem persists, replace number 1 injector.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

8. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Okay, to remove injectors, valve/cam cover needs removing. Then rocker shafts need removing. Then the injectors can be removed. You need a special VW tool or a home made slide hammer. They don't come out easily. The injector harness is very prone to failure too so that may need replacing if you damage it when removing it off the injector. Then when installing the injector, you need new injector seals, bolts, rocker bolts and adjust the injector position/lash and torque all bolts down with torque wrench following proper bolt sequence. For a first timer, it isn't straight forward, I haven't had the pleasure of doing it but there are many steps.

If you need a proper guide on doing it I can provide it, that is if you choose to do the job yourself.

Check your DM too.

0 0 0

9. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    I would change the engine power supply relay first.
    Thanks, will have look for a new one

0 0 0

10. Re: Passat B6 Injector Replacement 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Okay, to remove injectors, valve/cam cover needs removing. Then rocker shafts need removing. Then the injectors can be removed. You need a special VW tool or a home made slide hammer. They don't come out easily. The injector harness is very prone to failure too so that may need replacing if you damage it when removing it off the injector. Then when installing the injector, you need new injector seals, bolts, rocker bolts and adjust the injector position/lash and torque all bolts down with torque wrench following proper bolt sequence. For a first timer, it isn't straight forward, I haven't had the pleasure of doing it but there are many steps.

If you need a proper guide on doing it I can provide it, that is if you choose to do the job yourself.

Check your DM too.
    Good stuff thank you! Is it worth checking the injector loom first? Had a google and it seems pretty straight forward?

0 0 0

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast