Notices

User Tag List

Thread: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hi

I've an Audi Avant 3.0 automatic from late 2005, about 100,000 miles. I've recently had a problem with white smoke from the exhaust pipes when turning over idle when the engine is warm. I've done some research and I'm not leaking coolant, so that's out. The main "other" cause I've found seems to be the depressingly expensive injectors issue. I'm wondering/hoping if it could be anything else before I go to the Audi garage and empty my wallet.

I don't know cars/engines so please excuse me if these 2 pieces of information are irrelevant, but, since I bought the car in 2009, it has a) always emitted fairly strong smelling fumes from the exhausts when the engine is turning over and b) always kicked out a puff of dark smoke when accelerating hard (ie overtaking). No idea if those are relevant or not.

Now, I get this thick white smoke when the engine is warm and turning over. Doesn't smell of anything other than the usual fairly strong smell of exhaust fumes and is definitely white, not blue/dark etc. After letting it turn over and start "smoking" if I drive it white smoke will billow out for about 2-3 minutes and then it will be normal again. No other symptoms (shuddering, loss of power etc). Only happens when engine is warm.

Can anyone suggest anything it could be other than the injectors or do I have to head to Audi and just take the pain of getting them replaced? I've also read that £3000-£3500 is about "normal" cost for replacing them - is that about right?

Thanks very much in advance for any thoughts/ideas.

NB

EDIT - No idea if this is relevant or not but the engine has to be quite hot before the smoke comes - a 15-20mins drive for instance and won't get anything. Has to be for example on a motorway for an hour before the smoke will come when the engine is next idle.
    Last edited by nb99; 15-03-2019 at 07:21 PM.

0 0 0

2. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    I wouldn’t spend 2-3K on 2005 Audi to be honest. Not sure about your problem tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 0 0

3. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    The thing is that in every other way the car is as good as it was when I bought it 10 years ago. Has done amazingly well and is worth the investment I think.

0 0 0

4. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    If you can get the car scanned for any possible fault codes that would be a good start. Ensure the diagnostic tool is a decent one compatible for your car. Some cheap tools dont read all current fault codes. It seems an over fueling issue but you need to find out why.
    Injectors, temperature sensor etc etc....
    Alan.

A6 Avant (C7) 3.0 TFSI Quattro S-Tronic
    APR St1 Custom Exhaust - now gone
    VW T6 150 DSG Camper £££

0 0 0

5. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    You don't have to buy new injectors, I got a used set from a later model and they fixed the issue with smoke coming out of the exhaust, cost with new seals was about £600 but I fitted them myself.

0 0 0

6. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1836 Post(s)
    This has, in my experience, always been worn injectors. Exchange units for the typical BMK engine from Audi are 059 130 855 AX and cost £538.42 each..... You can get Bosch exchange units for around £345 each.

Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 1 0

7. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I experienced exactly the same symptoms on my 2005 3L with approx. 120k miles on the clock. Plumes of white smoke when engine was warm and idling, such as when in traffic, only difference being that the smoke would clear pretty quickly once driving again, not 2 to 3 minutes. I also had that feeling of dread when I looked in this and various other forums for clues! I took it into my local indy who checked the injectors, all were within wear limits. They then started checking various hoses, EGR etc. and found some of the hoses clogged with gunge, they basically gave all the hoses a good clean and refitted, never had a problem since (now 156k). One thing he said right at the outset was that he wouldn't expect the injectors to be u/s at 120k, more like 170k. Good luck...

0 0 0

8. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rods16 View Post
    I experienced exactly the same symptoms on my 2005 3L with approx. 120k miles on the clock. Plumes of white smoke when engine was warm and idling, such as when in traffic, only difference being that the smoke would clear pretty quickly once driving again, not 2 to 3 minutes. I also had that feeling of dread when I looked in this and various other forums for clues! I took it into my local indy who checked the injectors, all were within wear limits. They then started checking various hoses, EGR etc. and found some of the hoses clogged with gunge, they basically gave all the hoses a good clean and refitted, never had a problem since (now 156k). One thing he said right at the outset was that he wouldn't expect the injectors to be u/s at 120k, more like 170k. Good luck...

Yes this is the type of solution I'm hoping for! Problem is I don't know any reliable indy garages and the Audi garage tend to go for the heavy-handed expensive fix each time. At least it's something I can ask them about. Thanks.

0 0 0

9. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quick Update - In case anyone else finds this thread with the same problem, after doing more research online I found that too much engine oil could give the same symptoms. I tested the dipstick and indeed there is way too much oil in there. Have booked in for a service next week so hopefully this could solve the problem. Fingers crossed!

0 0 0

10. Re: White Smoke From Exhaust - Could it be anything other than injectors? 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nb99 View Post
    Quick Update - In case anyone else finds this thread with the same problem, after doing more research online I found that too much engine oil could give the same symptoms. I tested the dipstick and indeed there is way too much oil in there. Have booked in for a service next week so hopefully this could solve the problem. Fingers crossed!
    That could be leaky injector related as fuel could be getting into the oil hence why the level is high.
    Dan
    2009/2010 2.0 TDIe SE

1 1 0

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast