Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hello.
    I bought in 2017 my second Audi A6 C7 (2015 facelift)used car from Audi 18k miles. I did until recently another 17k miles so i have around 36000 miles. I had this knocking noise from steering rack box only when driving straight and over cracks or bumps . After investigating to some local garage confirm that is a BIG PLAY INSIDE STEERING RACK BOX.
    I had same problem to my previous A6 C7 2011 but at around 125000 miles. That one i bought second hand steering gear and was fine.
    This one i been to Audi and diagnose the fault and said they have to replace all steering gear £2350. Oooauu. Car is out of warranty because it has more than 3 years but only 36000 miles. They applied to audi uk for a gest of good will but come back £0.
    At least this what they told me.
    WHAT shoud i do ???
    From what i read on the web when i put vag number of my steering gear its a common faul but at some cars appear earlier some later.
    A friend from AA told me that inside steering rack box is a teflon bush and waers out and there is some guys that they will manufacture one and give you 2 years warranty.
    Please advice.

0 0 0

2. Re: Steering gear fault. Steering rack box knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    There was a recall on the rack in FL models in relation to moisture getting in through a seal, get your dealer to confirm if your rack has had this done if needed. At least that could be a starting point if it should have been done and was not. mine was checked at about 9 months old ( 65 plate late Nov 15 )
    2015 FL S-line 2L ultra & 2003 225 TT Coupe

0 0 0

3. Steering gear fault. Steering rack box knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cip82 View Post
    Hello.
    I bought in 2017 my second Audi A6 C7 (2015 facelift)used car from Audi 18k miles. I did until recently another 17k miles so i have around 36000 miles. I had this knocking noise from steering rack box only when driving straight and over cracks or bumps . After investigating to some local garage confirm that is a BIG PLAY INSIDE STEERING RACK BOX.
    I had same problem to my previous A6 C7 2011 but at around 125000 miles. That one i bought second hand steering gear and was fine.
    This one i been to Audi and diagnose the fault and said they have to replace all steering gear £2350. Oooauu. Car is out of warranty because it has more than 3 years but only 36000 miles. They applied to audi uk for a gest of good will but come back £0.
    At least this what they told me.
    WHAT shoud i do ???
    From what i read on the web when i put vag number of my steering gear its a common faul but at some cars appear earlier some later.
    A friend from AA told me that inside steering rack box is a teflon bush and waers out and there is some guys that they will manufacture one and give you 2 years warranty.
    Please advice.
    Did you service your car with Audi? I was getting good will gesture on my 2015FL which was out of warranty without asking for it. I serviced with Audi though.

Ps: not for the same issue as yours but for gearbox oil sump and AdBlue pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    current: 2019 A6 S-Line 40 TDI Avant (de-chromed)
    sold: 2015 A6 S-line Black Edition 2.0 TDI ULTRA
    MODs: CarPlay with RMC, Ambient Lighting

0 0 0

4. Re: Steering gear fault. Steering rack box knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for reply. I serviced with Audi only gearbox oil change. Servicd did it with local garage.

0 0 0

5. Re: Steering gear fault. Steering rack box knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the tip. I will give them a call to ask.

0 0 0

6. Re: Steering gear fault. Steering rack box knocking noise 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have exactly the same issue with my A6 C7 3.0 TDI. Audi want £3k to replace the full steering rack and i am searching for a solution. I am worried that if i purchase a breakers part audi will still be required to re-code the new rack.

0 0 0