1. Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi, I have a 2017 passat estate, I bought it when it was 9 mths old, 2 mths later I noticed that when I stopped at lights and then tried to select 1st it would not go into gear on the first attempt, this happened periodically every couple of months, I then noticed that I was having issues selecting reverse from time to Time, It is with the dealer now but they say it could be wear tear. I don't believe this, anyone else having problems like this.

0 0 0

2. Re: Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Which engine?
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

3. Re: Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crasher View Post
    which engine?
    1.6 tdi

0 0 0

4. Re: Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Michaeltp View Post
    1.6 tdi
    Same here with 1.4TSi, under 1 year old. I have experienced the same with all my cars from time to time so thought nothing of it. Back to neutral, lift clutch bit and back down, then it goes in. It's irritating but fact of life with a manual I think.

0 0 0

5. Re: Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The 1.6 TDI does not have a dual mass flywheel and I have seen this a few times on the 1.6 Golf 6 & 7, not on a 2L with a DMF.
    Anthropogenic climate change, the biggest con inflicted on mankind since religion...

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0

6. Re: Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Technician Said the fault was with baulk rings on 1st and 2nd he replaced 1st and 2nd gear and reverse gear and a new clutch kit, couldn't come with what actually caused the damage, just said that the gear boxes are made in 3 different countries, also said VW advised when stopping to then reverse a 3 second delay should be observed, reverse will only go in smoothly 5 times out of 10 so therefore you should select 1st then 2nd to align gears and then select reverse, This is my 4th VW in a row, I had 2013 16tdi golf, 2009 19tdi passat and a 2005 19tdi passat, I told him I have never had a problem selecting reverse in any of these cars, he could not answer me. I had 2 courtesy cars while mine was in the shop, 1st was a 2.0tdi 2018 Tiguan and the second a new Polo petrol model, I have to say I felt the same issue when selecting reverse in these cars, Reverse is very notchy, and sometimes had to be deselected and then tried again, I am sorry to say this because I really love these cars but I think these new gear boxes are inferior to the previous ones and still concern me because I don't know what problems I am going to have in the future, BTW I have noticed that VW have removed the 1.6TDI from the Passat range.

0 0 0

7. Re: Gear selection problem 
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    The Passat range is being revised, if you look at the German site it does not even mention such dirty things as engines, just infotainment connectivity and whatever, must be powered by angel juice......

In my LONG experience with VW boxes from air cooled to present day they have often been a little obstreperous and weak. The 020 series from 74 until it was killed off as the 02K (mid noughties) was a very problematic unit from day one until the end, 2nd gear synchro and impossible selection of 1st much of the time were a constant bugbear for at least ten years and they never stopped spitting their diff rivets out. The big difference then is easy to explain using a Golf 2 GTI like Mrs Crashers, when her seven year old GTI’s box spat its differential out on the way to work at high speed (all over the front of a tailgating 3 series, ohh the smell ) I had it towed, box out, new clutch and exchange box in and done back to her work in time for going home for less than £500 RETAIL. Get that on a seven year old GTI now and it is days of work and thousands of pounds. The other difference is that in those days the tinterweb was for scientists and geeks, not people swapping broken car stories.

Slava Ukraini
    !

0 0 0